Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Anti-Lucifer
In Time-Out

Biggest iPad mini flaw (not Retina screen)

cool story:

The biggest flaw I see in the new ipad mini is the TIME IT TAKES TO DRAIN THE BATTERY! I'm trying to calibrate it but it's not getting drained fast enough:

Thumb resize.
Anti-Lucifer is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:23 PM   #2
monaarts
macrumors 6502a

I thought I only wanted the wifi version so I bought it on release day... I had it for 13 days and used it constantly and only charged it 3 times. (granted it had like 2% battery left when I returned it).
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3
FatGuy007
macrumors 6502

This is a bad thing? Long battery life?
FatGuy007 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Anti-Lucifer
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy007 View Post
This is a bad thing? Long battery life?
No, not a bad thing! Just trying to rub it in for the iPad mini haters
Anti-Lucifer is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Its biggest flaw is the 163 PPI screen

That's even bad by Android standards
Yr Blues is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:33 PM   #6
bigboar
macrumors 6502

Battery life is great! Definitely the best Entry level device apple makes for someone who doesn't care so much about viewing quality
bigboar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a

Ok dokay. So we are now celebrating the fact that we can look at the awful screen for longer between charges. 😎
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:35 PM   #8
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post
No, not a bad thing! Just trying to rub it in for the iPad mini haters
Hahaha, you can use my 4th gen, it'll drain plenty fast for you
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
Battery life is great! Definitely the best Entry level device apple makes for someone who doesn't care so much about viewing quality
target demographic
Yr Blues is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:37 PM   #10
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

Guess it is ok as I fully charged last night and have been connected to wifi for over 2 hours today and now shows 75%.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:40 PM   #11
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
Its biggest flaw is the 163 PPI screen

That's even bad by Android standards
It's only bad by hardcore spec whore-y nerd standards. It's great for someone who wants a thin and light iPad that does what it is supposed to do.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanod View Post
Ok dokay. So we are now celebrating the fact that we can look at the awful screen for longer between charges. 😎
Awful? Boy are we spoiled... Awful was the screen on mobile phones pre-iPhone.

This screen is perfectly on par to what the device can do and should be at this generation.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
It's only bad by hardcore spec whore-y nerd standards. It's great for someone who wants a thin and light iPad that does what it is supposed to do.

----------

Awful? Boy are we spoiled... Awful was the screen on mobile phones pre-iPhone.

This screen is perfectly on par to what the device can do and should be at this generation.
Why do y'all defend such poor quality when even the iPod touch and Nexus 7 screens are immensely better?

Apple did this for typically cynical reasons. Not because of any technological barrier.
Yr Blues is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:44 PM   #13
Anti-Lucifer
In Time-Out

You haters are so silly - I have all 3 iOS devices with me right now, the iphone 5, the ipad mini, and the ipad 3. Guess which one is being used the most at home and away from home?

Yes, the mini! I don't use the iphone 5 much except in desperate times when I need to text, FaceTime on the go (with verizon LTE), and using my navigon. The ipad mini fills up the rest of the usage times!

The ipad 3 no longer belongs to me, but I don't even want to lift that brick up!
Anti-Lucifer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:45 PM   #14
bigboar
macrumors 6502

I agree! It's bad. I I wanted to like mine but just couldn't.
bigboar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You haters are so silly - I have all 3 iOS devices with me right now, the iphone 5, the ipad mini, and the ipad 3. Guess which one is being used the most at home and away from home?

Yes, the mini! I don't use the iphone 5 much except in desperate times when I need to text, FaceTime on the go (with verizon LTE), and using my navigon. The ipad mini fills up the rest of the usage times!

The ipad 3 no longer belongs to me, but I don't even want to lift that brick up!
Seriously, what do you consider the mini's biggest, most glaring, flaw?
Yr Blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:46 PM   #16
Anti-Lucifer
In Time-Out

Quote:
Why do y'all defend such poor quality when even the iPod touch and Nexus 7 screens are immensely better?

Apple did this for typically cynical reasons. Not because of any technological barrier.
I tried every single tablet available at the store including the new kindle fire HD. Guess which one I paid and left with? You can have all the crap specs you want, it's the user experience of the mini, the build quality, the cameras, the siri, and the apple ecosystem that still have me paying.

Sure it's cheaper for a kindle, a nexus 7, but those are just door stopping devices that does me no good compared to an apple iPad.
Anti-Lucifer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:48 PM   #17
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I tried every single tablet available at the store including the new kindle fire HD. Guess which one I paid and left with? You can have all the crap specs you want, it's the user experience of the mini, the build quality, the cameras, the siri, and the apple ecosystem that still have me paying.

Sure it's cheaper for a kindle, a nexus 7, but those are just door stopping devices that does me no good compared to an apple iPad.
I consider the nexus 7 and kindle to be absolutely inferior products, but I'm not going to ignore obvious short-comings of the mini. Every single pro-reviewer laments the lack of retina.

Don't be a fanatic.
Yr Blues is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:49 PM   #18
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

Quote:

This.

I lived with android long enough. My mind is are now wide open to what I was missing!!!
AppleRobert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:51 PM   #19
Anti-Lucifer
In Time-Out

Quote:
I consider the nexus 7 and kindle to be absolutely inferior products, but I'm not going to ignore obvious short-comings of the mini. Every single pro-reviewer laments the lack of retina.

Don't be a fanatic.
Having owned an ipad 3 retina, I never said the mini was superior to the retina. It is inferior. But for the size and the overall package delivered, the mini is a total victory. It matters which device you are going to use more - and believe it or not, I chose the mini because even at the store, I kept heading back to the mini kiosk because it was just that much more attractive.

The retina screen for the mini 2 next year will be awesome - I can't imagine how bad the competitors will get done in when that happens. The mini is truly a device that is right in the middle of the iOS lineup; I don't want a 5" iphone, and I want the awesomeness of a tablet like the big iPad but for now, the mini will do just fine for me.

When that time comes, I will buy the retina mini!
Anti-Lucifer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:52 PM   #20
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
When that time comes, I will buy the retina mini!
Why would you do that? I though you said the mini was perfect as it is.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:56 PM   #21
Anti-Lucifer
In Time-Out

Quote:
Seriously, what do you consider the mini's biggest, most glaring, flaw?
To answer your question: lack of A6, lack of LED FLASH, no panorama mode, no built in gps for the wifi model...and of course, the retina screen. But those things I have on my iphone 5.

Do I wish for those on my ipad mini? hell yes, but if apple don't deliver it, I can't help it. I'm not going to buy anything else because there is nothing out there that has this complete package of the mini (biggest component, user experience and apps/airplay/facetime, entire apple ecosystem)

----------

Quote:
Why would you do that? I though you said the mini was perfect as it is.
It's whatever is out right now - I'm not gonna stand by and wait an eternity for the best of the best because you know apple will never create the perfect device..if they did, there will be no incentive for the next iWhatever!
Anti-Lucifer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:57 PM   #22
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:

I'm defending because it works PERFECTLY FINE FOR ME AND MY PURPOSES, which I have already stated in my previous post. I had an iPad 2 for a few months and upgraded to the iPad 3 when it came out. In retrospect I completely regret doing that. The Retina Display while nice is NOT a necessity. Text is perfectly viewable on the iPad 2 and just as viewable on the iPad Mini (if not MORE).

Unless you have bad eye sight there should be no issue reading/watching videos doing ANYTHING on an iPad Mini unless you're just a spec whore who needs to have the top specs on EVERYTHING! Otherwise it's ZOMG BROKEN/POOR QUALITY/CRAP!

On top of that the iPad Mini is clearly the ENTRY LEVEL product in the iPad line. Who releases an entry level product with superior specs than the top tier device?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:59 PM   #23
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
To answer your question: lack of A6, lack of LED FLASH, no panorama mode, no built in gps for the wifi model...and of course, the retina screen. But those things I have on my iphone 5.

Do I wish for those on my ipad mini? hell yes, but if apple don't deliver it, I can't help it. I'm not going to buy anything else because there is nothing out there that has this complete package of the mini (biggest component, user experience and apps/airplay/facetime, entire apple ecosystem)

----------

It's whatever is out right now - I'm not gonna stand by and wait an eternity for the best of the best because you know apple will never create the perfect device..if they did, there will be no incentive for the next iWhatever!
so the point of your thread, its purpose, was solely to troll people who genuinely finds the screen a less than favorable experience

grow up

everyone is different
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:00 PM   #24
Anti-Lucifer
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
On top of that the iPad Mini is clearly the ENTRY LEVEL product in the iPad line. Who releases an entry level product with superior specs than the top tier device?
I will not say this device is an "entry level" product! There is no entry level to anything apple based on pricing. I would consider this ipad mini a completely different segment. Because it uses the same components as an iPad 2, it still is in a different class. It's the right size for those that dont' want a bigger phone/tablet.

----------

Quote:
so the point of your thread, its purpose, was solely to troll people who genuinely finds the screen a less than favorable experience

grow up

everyone is different
who's trolling? Dude, the thread is to showcase how good the device is. It's anything but until you came along and pee'd all over it.

Everyone is different so why can't you accept the fact there are millions who don't care for a retina display?
Anti-Lucifer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:01 PM   #25
Guy Mancuso
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

----------

Maybe the best comment made. It is what it is and it delivers the goods to a point where it satisfies a lot of users. For many that's good enough. I'm a photographer for 36 years and shot every brand there is and trust me there is no perfect camera and never will be. It's simply no different with anything else, you just keep chasing the next technology hoping there is. You can take that to the bank. Or better yet it will keep taking your money from your account. LOL

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad