Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi,
I have been using Garageband for the last few years, and feel that I want to upgrade to another DAW for various reasons, and would appreciate hearing all of your opinions on this subject.

For example, I would like to be able to change tempo during a song, and would also like to increase my collection of plug-ins.

I was thinking of moving up to Logic Studio (because it can accommodate both of the considerations I itemized above), but am also open to hearing about other DAWs (my one 'must have', though, is the ability to switch tempos within tracks).

I have been looking at Cubase, and Studio One in addition to the above (I do not want to get into dongles, so am avoiding looking at Pro Tools).

I would appreciate you sharing your opinions, and suggestions here.

Thanks,

gvdv

By the way, I have a Mac Pro, 2.66 with 5GB RAM, and 1 TB storage space.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
one of the nice things if you choose logic audio, is that you can easily open all of your old garage-band files.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I can't comment on other DAWs, but I'd been eyeing Logic for years, and once the price dropped to $200, I couldn't resist. For that price, it's a steal. Since you already know GarageBand, you'll have an easier time learning Logic. It's incredibly deep, and I'll probably never use more than a fraction of its capabilities, but I'm glad I got it. The collection of sampled instruments, synths, and loops alone make it worth buying.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Logic Pro 9 hasn't had an upgrade since July 2009 so it's over-do for one. There is the chance that you might have to buy it again when it does but that could still be awhile.

I see Steinberg just announced Cubase 7. Check it out!

Ive been trying out Studio One Free. It's very intuitive with lots of drag and drop features. It's loaded with features that make it easy to use but also powerful. It's fun to use. Check it out!

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi spoonie1972, Ubele, and fastlanephil,
Thanks very much for your informative and helfpul replies.

Will you each please say something about the MIDI editing capabilities of each of the DAWs you mention?

I must admit that I was not that impressed with Logic Express when a friend bought it - I thought that it was not that 'intuitive' to use. I know that the full version of Logic has lots of advantages (e.g. the sampled instruments which Ubele mentions).

Many thanks,

gvdv

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Hi spoonie1972, Ubele, and fastlanephil,
Thanks very much for your informative and helfpul replies.

Will you each please say something about the MIDI editing capabilities of each of the DAWs you mention?

I must admit that I was not that impressed with Logic Express when a friend bought it - I thought that it was not that 'intuitive' to use. I know that the full version of Logic has lots of advantages (e.g. the sampled instruments which Ubele mentions).

Many thanks,

gvdv

From what I can see Studio One has the basic MIDI editing features. It does have the ability to put multiple instruments using different colors on one editing track window and you can work with them independently.

Actually I've been using Sagan Technologies Metro 6 for many years. It doesn't look like much but you can display sixteen editable MIDI or audio tracks at once. It has a lot of MIDI features such as easily making a free time input MIDI track into a track that can display correct notation. Think of anything that is possible with MIDI and Metro can probably do it. A major update is due before the end of the year. It's worth checking out if you work a lot with MIDI.

http://www.sagantech.biz

gannonsamuel

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
logic would be the logical step up from garageband (excuse the pun) because they use the same engine and aren't really all that dissimilar.

i been leaning more towards protools lately (suits me a bit better at the moment i guess) but i have heard great things about studio one.

if you're looking to be gigging with anything i'd have a peek at ableton.

Not used Cubase since SX3 it was great then and i'm sure it's come on leaps and bounds since then.

pretty much any DAW will let you change tempo (i'm genuinely surprised garage band doesn't do it... ho humm)
with regards to Plug-Ins, most manufacturers (does one 'manufacture' a plug-in, i mean it IS designed and tested etc, but manufacture in my head describes an actual physical thing...) do VSTs, AUs and RTAS versions of their plug-ins, though avid are soon to ditch RTAS as far as i know so maybe go with one that will have the same format for a while... Most DAWs will come with decent comps and eqs and effects built in, (don't use presets but use your ears and you can get perfectly professional results with host plugins.)

if you know anyone with any DAW and ask to have a go and see which you prefer. they all do the same job, just differently, depends how you work. just go with what you like the best.

Last edited:

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I see that Studio One Producer was on sale for $150 but is now down to $99 at PreSonas.
Music Direct said that price was good through the 26th but I checked Sweetwater and they have it tagged as a price drop.

Really tempting for me.

Also Studio One professional is now $250 with out a cross grade.

Close to Reaper prices.

App Downloader

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
I use FL Studio for my music production. The music made by FL is more on the electronic-y side, but that's exactly what I like to make. There's a little learning curve from Garageband for sure (I've used Garageband for a long time too).

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I use Logic but have been leaning towards Cubase since Logic is never updated, it's nice to get new features to keep you interested... FL Studio is great for those who like developing DAWs as they're always bringing out updates and have a strong community... i was forced to ditch FL when i moved over to OSX.

gvdv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
Hi Everyone,
Many thanks for all your replies.

I must confess that I think that I begin to look around at other DAWs when I want to distract myself from actually getting down to making music.

I think that I will continue with GarageBand for now, and will experiment a bit with Reaper, too. At the 'prices' of those 2 programs, one really cannot argue.

Many thanks for all your replies,

All the best,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.