Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
After reading the very long thread on the scuffgate, I want to ask if some of us are confusing between true blemishes (nicks, etc.) with just the amorphic appearance of anodization.

Obviously, I am not referring to cases with palpable nicks and scratches. These are true damages. What I am referring to instead are pinpoint specks of "off color" (slightly less black, for example) spots on the chamfered edges of the phone, for example.

Are these truly blemishes? Or are they just part of the aluminum that simply did not get anodize to the same degree as the rest. After reading a bit on the process, it appears to me that anodization is NEVER uniform, because the aluminum surface differs at every spot in its receptivity of the coating.

I am not here to debate whether or not you should just suck it up and ignore the blemishes because they are cosmetic. I am here to ask if sometimes some of us are getting confused in what is a blemish and what is not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.