Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:11 PM   #1
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Apple Care for iPhone 5, is it worth it?

I have various Apple products and have purchased Apple Care for only for Macs.

Anyway, I have an original iPhone, an iPhone4, and my iPhone 5 is due to arrive on Monday. However, I have never bought Apple Care with any of them. I am currently thinking of purchasing Apple Care for my iPhone 5 this time around but wondering if it's worth having. Thoughts?
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:13 PM   #2
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Why would the iPhone 5 be any different if you've never bought AC for any of your previous iPhones?

I upgrade yearly so I don't bother anyway.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:40 PM   #3
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Why would the iPhone 5 be any different if you've never bought AC for any of your previous iPhones?

Good point about upgrading yearly. That should be a huge factor whether considering AC or not.
tgi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:53 PM   #4
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Good for you for being able to upgrade annually. How do you manage to upgrade yearly and not pay the unsubsidized price of an iPhone?

Quote:

For those of us that aren't able to upgrade annually, like myself, this is a decision that I am thinking about making this time around. I am looking to possibly use this iPhone until the end of the contract with my carrier, which is about 2 years from now. The reason why I am thinking about buying Apple Care now is the fact that despite taking good care of my previous iPhones, they have taken accidental damage and I like how Apple has included accidental damage with Apple Care, albeit for an additional fee but definitely not forcing a customer to have to go all the way to buying a replacement at the unsubsidized price.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
Good point about upgrading yearly. That should be a huge factor whether considering AC or not.

I've factored that in and I don't upgrade annually.

I guess I'm looking for stories of people who have had Apple Care with their iPhone and to see if it was worth it for them.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Masputo14
macrumors newbie

I'm screwed. This was my last week to buy AppleCare and I broke my leg on Friday pretty bad. Now I won't have a chance to visit an Apple store to buy it.
Masputo14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:58 PM   #6
jaw04005
macrumors 601

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...bout_applecare

With that said, I usually get AppleCare+ on my iPhones. I tend to be rough on my iPhone and Apple-covered accessories (frayed cords, earbud issues, etc).

Also, Apple Store and AppleCare employees tend to be very accommodating to AppleCare owners (they've replaced my iPhones for very minor issues before).

I also have AppleCare on my iMac because it would be ludicrous to try and service it myself.

On my iPad, iPad mini, iPod touch, iPod nano and MacBook Air, I don't bother with it.

The secret with AppleCare is you can request a pro-rated refund. I always do when I upgrade my APP devices.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:03 PM   #7
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Good for you for being able to upgrade annually. How do you manage to upgrade yearly and not pay the unsubsidized price of an iPhone?
I have an additional dumbphone line (with at&t) that I keep unused for $9.99 per month for the sole purpose of upgrading to the latest iPhone. I pay the subsidized price by upgrading this line and device swapping to my personal line every other year and upgrading my personal line every other year. This won't work if you have the mobile share plan as even a dumbphone on that plan is $30 per month.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:41 PM   #8
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw04005 View Post
On my iPad, iPad mini, iPod touch, iPod nano and MacBook Air, I don't bother with it.

I can understand skipping Apple Care with iPods but iPads and MacBook Airs? I'm surprised by that.

Quote:
The secret with AppleCare is you can request a pro-rated refund. I always do when I upgrade my APP devices.

Thanks. This is very good information to know.

----------

Quote:
I have an additional dumbphone line (with at&t) that I keep unused for $9.99 per month for the sole purpose of upgrading to the latest iPhone. I pay the subsidized price by upgrading this line and device swapping to my personal line every other year and upgrading my personal line every other year. This won't work if you have the mobile share plan as even a dumbphone on that plan is $30 per month.

Isn't that a waste of $120 per year?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:45 PM   #9
cruzmisl
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masputo14 View Post
I'm screwed. This was my last week to buy AppleCare and I broke my leg on Friday pretty bad. Now I won't have a chance to visit an Apple store to buy it.
Call Apple and asked to be transferred to the applecare administrative folks.

They allowed me to buy it from over the phone. They might be sympathetic to your situation. Also wouldn't hurt to offer to send pics of the device or something proving it's not trashed.
cruzmisl is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:51 PM   #10
Pillar
macrumors 6502

May I get some help with a question please.

This past Saturday at the Apple Store I received a replacement for my iPhone 5 that I had over a month. Am I able to purchase Apple Care+ for the replacement?

Thank you
Pillar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:02 PM   #11
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

AppleCare+ is worth it to me.

I've already ALMOST dropped my ip5.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

I never got AppleCare before the iphone 5, but it is worth it to me to not have a case. Easy and inexpensive fix if I severely damage it.

----------

Also, I spent way more than $200 on cases for my iphone 4, just because I was always looking for that perfect case.
Nolander07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:19 PM   #13
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Isn't that a waste of $120 per year?
Not if you want to get a new iPhone every year.

For $120 a year you get the subsidized price of a 16 GB iPhone for $199 annually vs paying a no commitment price of $649 if you were on contract.

----------

Quote:

I've factored that in and I don't upgrade annually.

I guess I'm looking for stories of people who have had Apple Care with their iPhone and to see if it was worth it for them.

If you plan on keeping the phone for 2 years I would say Apple Care is definitely worth every penny.
tgi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:10 PM   #14
SCIONTX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masputo14 View Post
You can buy it over the phone.
SCIONTX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:35 PM   #15
acarney
macrumors regular

Remember that AppleCare+ may also help set you apart when selling the phone. Not only are you selling them a phone that's only been used for about a year but they can get a brand new one for only $49 if they damage it any time for the NEXT year. You probably won't get the full $99 value out of it but you might get an extra $50 over the other guys.
acarney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:24 AM   #16
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Not if you want to get a new iPhone every year.

For $120 a year you get the subsidized price of a 16 GB iPhone for $199 annually vs paying a no commitment price of $649 if you were on contract
Well not really. Since you pay $120 a year for a dummy line you are actually paying $320 every year for a 16GB iPhone.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:23 AM   #17
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

I upgrade once a year and go caseless.. When the next iPhone hits, my wife will get the 5.

I opt for the Apple Care because I don't wanna put a case on my phone and it will cover not only my time with the phone, but my wife's as well.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:04 PM   #18
ToyGun1
macrumors regular

Applecare a must for the iphone 5 been through 7 iphone 5 within the last two months. All stuck pixels.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:05 PM   #19
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Thanks for all the input. I asked a friend who all ready has an iPhone 5 and he suggested for me to skip Apple Care and go for a case instead. The thing is, I don't like putting my iPhone in a case, it gets too bulky in my pocket and I like to have room for a different kind of bulge while wearing my Levi's 511 skinny jeans.

My iPhone 5 is due to arrive some time tomorrow so I think I'll call Apple and buy Apple Care+ over the phone before it arrives. The $49 "accidental damage" for a replacement phone in addition to the $99 two year coverage is nearly worth it to me. Besides, I'm locked in a contract for the next two years so why not?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:56 AM   #20
PeterKG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. I asked a friend who all ready has an iPhone 5 and he suggested for me to skip Apple Care and go for a case instead. The thing is, I don't like putting my iPhone in a case, it gets too bulky in my pocket and I like to have room for a different kind of bulge while wearing my Levi's 511 skinny jeans.

My iPhone 5 is due to arrive some time tomorrow so I think I'll call Apple and buy Apple Care+ over the phone before it arrives. The $49 "accidental damage" for a replacement phone in addition to the $99 two year coverage is nearly worth it to me. Besides, I'm locked in a contract for the next two years so why not?
I plan on intentionally using my Applecare +. I'm going to replace my phone once each year, but will wait until later next year when the replacement stock has been refreshed with ones that have seen better QC.

If I decide to upgrade early, I will cause a replacement first so that I have a decent unit to give to family or sell. I've had many replacements and come to the conclusion as of this point there is no such thing as an iPhone 5 without defects.
PeterKG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:36 AM   #21
jer04
macrumors regular

Quote:
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...bout_applecare
just wondering how that pro-rata refund thing works?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:56 AM   #22
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock619 View Post
Well not really. Since you pay $120 a year for a dummy line you are actually paying $320 every year for a 16GB iPhone.
Like I mentioned, that's still better than paying $649 for a no commitment iPhone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyGun1 View Post
Applecare a must for the iphone 5 been through 7 iphone 5 within the last two months. All stuck pixels.
Wouldn't a stuck pixel be covered under warranty? Shouldn't you be able to get a replacement phone regardless of Apple Care or not?
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:04 PM   #23
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Ah

My opinion is yes.

I babied my iPhone 4 and about six months before Applecare expired the ear speaker stopped working properly - if I took or made a call it sounded like the parents talking on a Peanuts cartoon ("Wah wah wah? Wah wah wah wah!").

They replaced it and I was out the door with no problems.

It would have been out of warranty for over eight months and I'd have been SOL if I didn't have the Applecare.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:08 PM   #24
psywzrd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCIONTX View Post
You can buy it over the phone.
Pretty sure this isn't true. If you don't buy it at the time you buy the phone, they make you buy AppleCare+ in person so that they can verify that your phone isn't already damaged.
psywzrd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:59 PM   #25
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Like I mentioned, that's still better than paying $649 for a no commitment iPhone.
You still don't understand. When you purchase a new iphone every year it is under contract, is it not? So you are paying $120 more for a 16GB iphone under contract because of your dummy line. If you just waited an extra 9 months or so you would get the phone for $199 vs. $320. Most carriers will waive the early upgrade charges if you are within 90 days.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone