Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Myiphone7
Banned

Just saw the Samsung GS3

I love my iPhone 5 but I am impressed with my first impression of the Samsung GS3.

It is EXTREMELY light. Originally, when I saw it on YouTube my impression was, "Bigger screen but harder to hold."

It actually feels solid in the hand while still managing to be incredibly light.

I wanted to play with the OS, but unfortunately this was just a dummy version.

------------

I still sticking with iPhone 5, though.
Myiphone7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:26 PM   #2
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

Once that initial "wow" of Android fades, you begin to appreciate all of the little things, and the quality, of iOS. But the S3 is the best Android smartphone yet without a doubt, and a very good competitor to the iPhone 5.
joshwithachance is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:27 PM   #3
AFDoc
In Time-Out

I owned the GS3 for a while and loved the big screen. I would have no issue having a screen that big in iPhone form. I however find the ecosystem and quality top notch here at apple.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Myiphone7
Banned

Agreed. I wish I got to play with the OS. I trust apple more. The iPhone 5 is clean. Plenty of features. More than you'll ever use on a regular basis. But very reliable.

You NEVER have to worry about the device itself, like

Why is it running so slow today? Or Why did it freeze? Why isn't that working?

It just always works. That's what I appreciate most.
Myiphone7 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:42 PM   #5
AndroidBlows
macrumors member

Uh ok. It's been out for what, 5 months?

Cool story.

AndroidBlows is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

OF COS IT'S EXTREMELY LIGHT RIGHT?? You already said it yourself, IT'S A DUMMY VERSION. Bet the real deal will be heavier.
Beeplance is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Kadman
macrumors 65816

We have some of the S3's deployed at work and they are VERY nice. The display is amazing. I fully respect what they've done with it. My son nearly went S3 this time around but ultimately upgraded to an iPhone 5 for the simplicity of feeding from the existing family content pool (4 iPhones in the house).
Kadman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:51 PM   #8
daneoni
macrumors G4

I've seen it a few times and i honestly don't see what the huge fuss is about. If i were to own an Android device, it most certainly WON'T be a GS3.

But hey, thats just me and my $.02
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Floydpink
macrumors newbie

Every 2 years, when upgrade times comes, I stop by ATT and try out the latest and greatest droid.

Last time, the Motorola Atrix with the docking screen had me curious about jumping ship after owning since iphone 3.

This year, the GS3 had me trying it and being so impressed, I slept on my decision and had to return again and play with it for another hour.

Ultimately, I went with the iphone 5 due to familiarity I guess and my fear of buyers remorse.

I don't regret my decision in the least after giving it a good try.
Floydpink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:59 PM   #10
tvith
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
Agreed. I wish I got to play with the OS. I trust apple more. The iPhone 5 is clean. Plenty of features. More than you'll ever use on a regular basis. But very reliable.

doesn't this forums section have plenty of topics on "my iPhones _____ isn't/has stopped working"?
I agree that apple products are good, but by no means are they flawless.
tvith is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:21 PM   #11
syd430

At first I was a bit confused at to why anyone would start a thread describing their experience with a dummy/toy phone.

Then I realised the OP is Myiphone7
  11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
At first I was a bit confused at to why anyone would start a thread describing their experience with a dummy/toy phone.

Then I realised the OP is Myiphone7
This post deserves a thousand points.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:41 PM   #13
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
OF COS IT'S EXTREMELY LIGHT RIGHT?? You already said it yourself, IT'S A DUMMY VERSION. Bet the real deal will be heavier.
Dummy phones are filled with plastic or lead to match the weight of the real device.
kdarling is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:45 PM   #14
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

basically a GS3-iPhone 5 comparison. Where haven't I seen this kind of thread?
tymaster50 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:46 PM   #15
fdxgnd
macrumors member

I had the real gs3. Just sold it on ebay. I have a iphone 4s and 5 as well. The gs3 isn't worth the hype in my opinion. Still had forcecloses on it. Yeah, it's pretty quick, but that doesn't mean crap if the app quits. It's still plastic. I had to purchase a replacement back from scratches. It still feels cheap in the hand to me. The iphone 5 feels like a sexy french girl. lol. Just my 2 cents.
fdxgnd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:47 PM   #16
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I love my iPhone 5 but I am impressed with my first impression of the Samsung GS3.

It is EXTREMELY light. Originally, when I saw it on YouTube my impression was, "Bigger screen but harder to hold."

It actually feels solid in the hand while still managing to be incredibly light.

I wanted to play with the OS, but unfortunately this was just a dummy version.

------------

I still sticking with iPhone 5, though.
GS3 gives me headaches. Too reflective.
1rottenapple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:47 PM   #17
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Really? You've been ignoring all the threads on here about problems with iPhones? Or how you can go insane trying to copying pictures and videos on an iPhone?
SomeDudeAsking is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:47 PM   #18
michaeljohn
Banned

The iphone 5 is lighter then the S3. 112 grams vs 133
michaeljohn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:50 PM   #19
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Really? You've been ignoring all the threads on here about problems with iPhones? Or how you can go insane trying to copying pictures and videos on an iPhone?
Don't do it!!!!!!! Look at his topics then you'll realize why.
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:51 PM   #20
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Best feature of the IPHONE5 is that its secure.! The other features are great as well.
bushman4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:40 AM   #21
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

When I first got the SGS3, I did feel it was unnecessarily big. My old phone had a 3.7" screen and felt the right size for me. I ended up getting the SGS3 in July because it was the only new Android phone at the time on my carrier that had at least 32 GB of storage (or the ability to get there). I eventually got used to the size (and lack of a physical keyboard) and everything else about it was really good.

Regarding dummy models, they are not a good indication of the phone itself. The weight is all wrong and the picture of the home screen does not properly reflect the properties of the screen. If you are not familiar with the UI, dummy models tell you nothing about how it works or what its features are. To get a better idea, you need to try out a working model.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:39 AM   #22
darster
macrumors 68000

Oh no, another thread by the resident twit. Did you get another mean look from the Apple rep? Did you bend your phone again? Does your sim card have more scratches?
darster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:46 AM   #23
Myiphone7
Banned

I agree with a lot of posts on here. iPhone just "has it." It's hard to explain.

Maybe like the person who said the iPhone 5 is like a thin French woman. Naturally beautiful.

The gs3 is like a woman who spends a lot of time staying in shape, wears expensive and stylish clothes, has the best makeup, a car with swag, heels, and a lot of jazz.

Great, I guess, but the French woman just works. She can wear jeans and a t-shirt, and look beautiful.

That's how the iPhone 5 is. It's so smooth. Relatable. Looks great. Has everything you need. Simple to use while not skimping on much. Everything you could ask for and more.

Gs3 has all these features, fully loaded, they worked really hard to make it great

But who really needs to take 7 pictures in a row.

And how can you read your text if your picture in picture movie is blocking it. Ok, move it to the keyboard. Now how can you type?

You see what I mean?

iPhone 5 does not have that. You rarely ever say, "Ugh, that's counterintuitive."

Want to take a pic? Slide up on the home screen. Done. No 7 pic jazz, then choosing the best one. iPhone 5 takes a great pic the first time.

To address some posts - Yes people on here complain. But I've never gone to my homescreen, tapped messages, and not seen them. I've never tapped phone and it got stuck. I've never had it freeze for no reason (except maybe when I was jail breaking YEARS ago)

It works for most people 99.9999999% of the time despite the horrid scratches dings and dents people get out of the box

Macrumors always loads. Consistently. Day in. Day out.

I guess the point of my OP was to just say the gs3 is a legit phone. It feels solid. It's light. I do like it.

I guess I was just surprised. Do I like gs3?

Yes, but its like liking an adult movie star - all made up, hrs in gym, tons of makeup, stylish clothes, slick car (what's not to like about that?)

BUT

The iPhone 5 is a thin French girl. Beautiful and hot as heck jeans and a t-shirt. Simple, yet very, very sexy.
Myiphone7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:51 AM   #24
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Its sad when you sexualize your phone.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:54 AM   #25
JS82712
Banned

Quote:

The novelty wears off quickly for android phones
Make no mistake about it, studies show that people do more with their iPhones than those who use androids. why? because the iPhone is filled with features that are relevant to you, and the S3 is full of gimmicks like 'smart stay' and 'tilt-to-zoom'
JS82712 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices