Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I love my iPhone 5 but I am impressed with my first impression of the Samsung GS3.

It is EXTREMELY light. Originally, when I saw it on YouTube my impression was, "Bigger screen but harder to hold."

It actually feels solid in the hand while still managing to be incredibly light.

I wanted to play with the OS, but unfortunately this was just a dummy version.

------------

I still sticking with iPhone 5, though.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Once that initial "wow" of Android fades, you begin to appreciate all of the little things, and the quality, of iOS. But the S3 is the best Android smartphone yet without a doubt, and a very good competitor to the iPhone 5.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Agreed. I wish I got to play with the OS. I trust apple more. The iPhone 5 is clean. Plenty of features. More than you'll ever use on a regular basis. But very reliable.

You NEVER have to worry about the device itself, like

Why is it running so slow today? Or Why did it freeze? Why isn't that working?

It just always works. That's what I appreciate most.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
The galaxy s3 has been out for quite a while. You're just now getting a first impression?

I'm sorry maybe I'm judging because of your post history and previous threads that you've started.

----------

Sophisticated thick the Samsung overall body work, beautiful fashion, feel good, feel good, is the high cost of machines

Absolutely

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
OF COS IT'S EXTREMELY LIGHT RIGHT?? You already said it yourself, IT'S A DUMMY VERSION. Bet the real deal will be heavier.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
We have some of the S3's deployed at work and they are VERY nice. The display is amazing. I fully respect what they've done with it. My son nearly went S3 this time around but ultimately upgraded to an iPhone 5 for the simplicity of feeding from the existing family content pool (4 iPhones in the house).

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I've seen it a few times and i honestly don't see what the huge fuss is about. If i were to own an Android device, it most certainly WON'T be a GS3.

But hey, thats just me and my $.02

Floydpink

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
Orlando Florida
Every 2 years, when upgrade times comes, I stop by ATT and try out the latest and greatest droid.

Last time, the Motorola Atrix with the docking screen had me curious about jumping ship after owning since iphone 3.

This year, the GS3 had me trying it and being so impressed, I slept on my decision and had to return again and play with it for another hour.

Ultimately, I went with the iphone 5 due to familiarity I guess and my fear of buyers remorse.

I don't regret my decision in the least after giving it a good try.

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Agreed. I wish I got to play with the OS. I trust apple more. The iPhone 5 is clean. Plenty of features. More than you'll ever use on a regular basis. But very reliable.

doesn't this forums section have plenty of topics on "my iPhones _____ isn't/has stopped working"?
I agree that apple products are good, but by no means are they flawless.

S

syd430

At first I was a bit confused at to why anyone would start a thread describing their experience with a dummy/toy phone.

Then I realised the OP is Myiphone7

fdxgnd

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
I had the real gs3. Just sold it on ebay. I have a iphone 4s and 5 as well. The gs3 isn't worth the hype in my opinion. Still had forcecloses on it. Yeah, it's pretty quick, but that doesn't mean crap if the app quits. It's still plastic. I had to purchase a replacement back from scratches. It still feels cheap in the hand to me. The iphone 5 feels like a sexy french girl. lol. Just my 2 cents.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I love my iPhone 5 but I am impressed with my first impression of the Samsung GS3.

It is EXTREMELY light. Originally, when I saw it on YouTube my impression was, "Bigger screen but harder to hold."

It actually feels solid in the hand while still managing to be incredibly light.

I wanted to play with the OS, but unfortunately this was just a dummy version.

------------

I still sticking with iPhone 5, though.

GS3 gives me headaches. Too reflective.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

Really? You've been ignoring all the threads on here about problems with iPhones? Or how you can go insane trying to copying pictures and videos on an iPhone?

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Best feature of the IPHONE5 is that its secure.! The other features are great as well.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
When I first got the SGS3, I did feel it was unnecessarily big. My old phone had a 3.7" screen and felt the right size for me. I ended up getting the SGS3 in July because it was the only new Android phone at the time on my carrier that had at least 32 GB of storage (or the ability to get there). I eventually got used to the size (and lack of a physical keyboard) and everything else about it was really good.

Regarding dummy models, they are not a good indication of the phone itself. The weight is all wrong and the picture of the home screen does not properly reflect the properties of the screen. If you are not familiar with the UI, dummy models tell you nothing about how it works or what its features are. To get a better idea, you need to try out a working model.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Oh no, another thread by the resident twit. Did you get another mean look from the Apple rep? Did you bend your phone again? Does your sim card have more scratches? :eek:

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I agree with a lot of posts on here. iPhone just "has it." It's hard to explain.

Maybe like the person who said the iPhone 5 is like a thin French woman. Naturally beautiful.

The gs3 is like a woman who spends a lot of time staying in shape, wears expensive and stylish clothes, has the best makeup, a car with swag, heels, and a lot of jazz.

Great, I guess, but the French woman just works. She can wear jeans and a t-shirt, and look beautiful.

That's how the iPhone 5 is. It's so smooth. Relatable. Looks great. Has everything you need. Simple to use while not skimping on much. Everything you could ask for and more.

Gs3 has all these features, fully loaded, they worked really hard to make it great

But who really needs to take 7 pictures in a row.

And how can you read your text if your picture in picture movie is blocking it. Ok, move it to the keyboard. Now how can you type?

You see what I mean?

iPhone 5 does not have that. You rarely ever say, "Ugh, that's counterintuitive."

Want to take a pic? Slide up on the home screen. Done. No 7 pic jazz, then choosing the best one. iPhone 5 takes a great pic the first time.

To address some posts - Yes people on here complain. But I've never gone to my homescreen, tapped messages, and not seen them. I've never tapped phone and it got stuck. I've never had it freeze for no reason (except maybe when I was jail breaking YEARS ago)

It works for most people 99.9999999% of the time despite the horrid scratches dings and dents people get out of the box

Macrumors always loads. Consistently. Day in. Day out.

I guess the point of my OP was to just say the gs3 is a legit phone. It feels solid. It's light. I do like it.

I guess I was just surprised. Do I like gs3?

Yes, but its like liking an adult movie star - all made up, hrs in gym, tons of makeup, stylish clothes, slick car (what's not to like about that?)

BUT

The iPhone 5 is a thin French girl. Beautiful and hot as heck jeans and a t-shirt. Simple, yet very, very sexy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.