Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:39 AM   #1
jl9148
macrumors newbie

iCloud, find my stolen macbook

My macbook was recently stolen and I just have a few questions.

I am currently trying to locate it via iCloud's tracking service, however the thieves have yet to connect the laptop to wifi. So far, I've initiated it to erase my mac as well as locking it.

My questions are:

Is it possible that the thieves can prevent me from erasing my mac remotely? Let's say they want to connect to wifi but are too scared to be tracked. Is it possible for them to completely erase my macbook to avoid me tracking them?

Even if the laptop is erased by myself remotely, by the thieves re-installing OSX, or if they try to "re-register" the macbook to be under their name, will the serial number ALWAYS be associated with MY iCloud/Apple ID?

If they do erase everything from my macbook, is it possible for the thieves to transfer ownership of the serial number from me to them? Thus, making it impossible for me to track them using the serial number?

I just want to know if it is possible that that macbook will always be trackable by me only regardless if the thieves completely erase the harddrive and/or register it under their Apple ID email address.
jl9148 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store