Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdstang65

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Does it hold the ipad mini tight enough without the Smart Cover that it won't fall out on its own?

Now that I stretched the leather by using the smart cover, the mini slips under garvity without the smart cover. However, I recall that the mini without the smart cover was fairly snug when the sleeve was brand new. I did not test slipping without the cover when new so it's hard to say. You may be ok if you don't stretch the leather.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I bought one that looked exactly like this when I got my first iPad, used it for my 2 and 3 also. So I sought out the same exact design for my Mini. Only found it for the Nexus 7 but it fits just fine. Even with a smart cover on. BUT it's a tight/sticky fit with the Smart Cover attached because of the slightly tacky nature of the cover material.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261060094672&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

7_inch_pouch.jpg

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Now that I stretched the leather by using the smart cover, the mini slips under garvity without the smart cover. However, I recall that the mini without the smart cover was fairly snug when the sleeve was brand new. I did not test slipping without the cover when new so it's hard to say. You may be ok if you don't stretch the leather.

Thanks, I might have to order one. I love the dodo case one I just got, but the ipad slips out very easily.

I had looked at one from Fabric Horse which I really like, but I want to see better pics or even a video review and can't find anything. I emailed the company about getting one for a mini and got no reply.:confused:

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Not trying to be an ass, but.. why?

I can see this sentiment for any kind of hardware accessories. But for a sleeve or a case?

I'm just curious. I promise i'm not trying to argue with you about your opinion.

I'm extremely particular and anal when it comes to design and aesthetic.

I want my Apple products to match too. I would only dress my iPad mini with Apple's Smart Cover; having anything else on my iPad mini would cheapen it.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010

I want my Apple products to match too. I would only dress my iPad mini with Apple's Smart Cover; having anything else on my iPad mini would cheapen it.

Well, alright then.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA

Smack a Burberry sleeve on it. Makes it expensive! :)

Captain Dynamo

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
Northern California
Until you get your slip case/sleeve

A 6x8" shipping envelope lined with bubble wrap works fine. Scratch protection and considerable drop protection. Also disguises the mini.

Got two for $1 at the Dollar Store!

Kerreh

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
I am trying etsy.com for a sleeve to go with the iPad mini and a smart cover... I ordered this from etsy...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/113156875/mens-ipad-or-ipad-mini-case-or-ipad-with

The person who makes these has like a million designs and their are about a million other people on etsy who make a million other versions... to me it seems you get something higher quality and more unique for the same price as what I am finding online.

I will only use the sleeve when I throw my iPad mini in a bag, otherwise it just going to be the smart cover.

il_fullxfull.371133512_72w0.jpg

Thanks for the link - just ordered this one :)

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I just went to Five Below and bought a small case with a handle to carry it around. They have lots of accessories for iPads. This case is light as a feather btw.

I had a sleeve that I used for the Kindle Keyboard (generation 2) that fits the ipad mini like a glove.....sans "Smart Cover"! It's got a nice felt interior and won't scratch the iPad. I don't know if they are still available or not. Here is a link to it on Amazon. I plan on using it when I travel till Incipio makes a Smart Feather back cover for the mini. The Smart Cover & Smart Feather back combo was perfect on the iPad 2.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002KPYYAU/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1353336461&sr=8-24&pi=SL75

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 137

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I had a sleeve that I used for the Kindle Keyboard (generation 2) that fits the ipad mini like a glove.....sans "Smart Cover"! It's got a nice felt interior and won't scratch the iPad. I don't know if they are still available or not. Here is a link to it on Amazon. I plan on using it when I travel till Incipio makes a Smart Feather back cover for the mini. The Smart Cover & Smart Feather back combo was perfect on the iPad 2.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002KPYYAU/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1353336461&sr=8-24&pi=SL75

Here is another photo. It slides in perfectly....absolutely perfect fit....like it was made for the mini

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 123

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Does the iPad hit the zipper at all inside the case? How are the pouches for cables and storage?

Size: It's a perfect fit so there is zero movement in the case. If I stand my i5 up in the front pocket the zipper cuts right through the numbers on the time.

F/F: I really like the fake swade look and feel. I can't speak to durability but I have never had issues with Casecrown so I imagine this will hold up as well. The padding is enough IMHO. If I push on the side when the mini is in there it has a good amount of "give". The tabs for the zipper are large, a bit large for me but not offensive. They are slightly curved which makes them easy to grasp.

Price: Picked it up off the Bay for $14 with free shipping.

I really dig the case and am so glad I ditched the smart cover. I hated that thing!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 134
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

That sleeve would work out real well and I'd just slip the Mini into the carry case I bought. It doesn't look like they are in stock though at Amazon.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
That sleeve would work out real well and I'd just slip the Mini into the carry case I bought. It doesn't look like they are in stock though at Amazon.

Yea, it really does work well. It provides good "hard shell" protection when stuffing the mini in my laptop bag. The reason it works so well is the dimensions on the mini are almost identical with the Kindle 2. The mini's dimensions are just a "hair" smaller all around. So the mini slips in & out of the case easily while still providing a snug (not tight) fit. I'm glad I hung onto the Kindle case.

cbb77

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
Size: It's a perfect fit so there is zero movement in the case. If I stand my i5 up in the front pocket the zipper cuts right through the numbers on the time.

F/F: I really like the fake swade look and feel. I can't speak to durability but I have never had issues with Casecrown so I imagine this will hold up as well. The padding is enough IMHO. If I push on the side when the mini is in there it has a good amount of "give". The tabs for the zipper are large, a bit large for me but not offensive. They are slightly curved which makes them easy to grasp.

Price: Picked it up off the Bay for $14 with free shipping.

I really dig the case and am so glad I ditched the smart cover. I hated that thing!

Thanks for photos, looks good. Last question, does the front pocket stretch to hold the cable and charger? Hoping that it would not be too tight where it's pushing back onto the screen. Guess you can make sure the mini is in with the screen facing the back but would be great if it fix well together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.