Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoRichard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Hey guys, I've been lurking for quite some time now and I finally decided to register to ask for everyone's opinion on the iPad mini.

I currently have one and I opted for it over a refurbished iPad 3 on Apples website just because of the size initially. After having about a week to use the device I must say I love this damn thing. Typing on it is a joy and the screen doesn't seem all too bad for me. I do own a iPhone 5 so I am familiar with the Retina display. It's nice to have and all but it doesn't really bother me when I switch from my phone to the tablet. The iPad mini just feels right in the hands and I really haven't had any problems with it so far. From Jon Rettinger's first impressions on his TechnoBuffalo YouTube channel, I do agree with him when he says "it just makes you want to read a book on it as opposed to an ereader."

I just wanted to share my experience with the device just in case anyone was on the fence about purchasing one. If you have a chance make sure to try it out in store. Tell me what you like, what you don't like. I'm curious to see others' opinions about the device.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
My impressions are it's OK. I got to play with one at Best Buy. The screen was a non issue as I still use an iPad 2 and the screen doesn't bother me. I already own two iPad's and I just wasn't excited by the product.

whoRichard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
You didn't appreciate the new form factor for the device? I think once Apple releases the Retina version of it next year, assuming that they do, a lot of people will be jumping the standard sized iPad ship. I've seen quite a few Youtubers are ditching the regular iPad for the iPad mini because of the smaller form factor and just because it is more comfortable to hold in the hands because to be honest the weight is negligible in my opinion.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You didn't appreciate the new form factor for the device? I think once Apple releases the Retina version of it next year, assuming that they do, a lot of people will be jumping the standard sized iPad ship. I've seen quite a few Youtubers are ditching the regular iPad for the iPad mini because of the smaller form factor and just because it is more comfortable to hold in the hands because to be honest the weight is negligible in my opinion.

Yeah the size was nice but I like the full size iPad better and I have a few smaller size tablets. It's definitely a nice product if you want a smaller size iPad.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I went from an iPad 1 to the mini, superb form factor and weight. Very happy with the purchase, only problem I have is waiting for Apple to bring out the Smart Case for it (don't want the naked back!).

It's been very popular at work also, a few grumbles about the cost - no one has moaned about the screen (despite some owning an iPad 3).

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i sold my ipad 3 to get the lte mini later, and will sell my iphone 5 and get a dumb phone instead.

iphone 5 and ipad mini really overlaps this time, so this wastes my money. before the mini, i barely use my ipad outside because it's big and heavy. so i just took my iphone 5 instead. but after seeing how thin, small and light the mini is, i think this will be very portable enough to bring it in 1 hand everyday.

whoRichard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
i sold my ipad 3 to get the lte mini later, and will sell my iphone 5 and get a dumb phone instead.

iphone 5 and ipad mini really overlaps this time, so this wastes my money. before the mini, i barely use my ipad outside because it's big and heavy. so i just took my iphone 5 instead. but after seeing how thin, small and light the mini is, i think this will be very portable enough to bring it in 1 hand everyday.

I don't see the practicality in this because I think it'd just be so strange to be carrying an ipad with me all the time. For example if I was going to dinner with friends don't you think it'd be a bit unusual and uncomfortable to be sitting with an iPad mini in your pants. The mini has its uses but it doesn't substitute the iPhone IMO.

whoRichard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
I went from an iPad 1 to the mini, superb form factor and weight. Very happy with the purchase, only problem I have is waiting for Apple to bring out the Smart Case for it (don't want the naked back!).

It's been very popular at work also, a few grumbles about the cost - no one has moaned about the screen (despite some owning an iPad 3).

I was about to buy a SmartCover for my mini as well but I couldn't pull the trigger for such a simple accessory. Instead I ordered a Poetic Slimline for my iPad Mini instead. I haven't received it yet so I can't comment on it but I have the Atmosphere on my iPhone 5 and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Plus at a price tag of $5 or $6 it can't hurt haha.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
I too have been using an ipad 3 since it came out but was too big to carry around. I hate browsing on my phone and carried the tablet in my briefcase. The mini fits in my pocket an is soo much more useful. All the fuss over the screen is the same drivel and whining we see every time Apple releases something new. My biggest surprise is how snappy the mini is. It's easy to forget how much processor is needed to move around all the pixels on the retina display. I was worried that the mini would be sluggish with the weaker processor, but I don't notice it at all.

I just need to find a decent case as it I am more worried about dropping it as I will be carrying it around a lot more than the older units.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I've been waiting for this since before the iPad 3 came out. I will be selling my iPad 3 in a week or so. I think the iPad should have been this size from the start.

Weight
Portability

Dislikes:
Font size in Safari (so I switched to Mercury Browser)

Perhaps my eyes are just bad enough that the non retina screen isn't an issue for me, I dunno. I have not experienced any headaches, migraines, nose bleeds, or any retinal hemorrhaging due to the screen so that's another positive. :D

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

The iPhone 5 and the iPad Mini overlaps? How big are your pants?

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I've been waiting for this since before the iPad 3 came out. I will be selling my iPad 3 in a week or so. I think the iPad should have been this size from the start.

Weight
Portability

Dislikes:

Perhaps my eyes are just bad enough that the non retina screen isn't an issue for me, I dunno. I have not experienced any headaches, migraines, nose bleeds, or any retinal hemorrhaging due to the screen so that's another positive. :D

Disagree with you on the size from the beginning. I think they got it exactly right. BUT totally with you on the last part. It's the same sort of complaining going on over in the imac forum - "OMG!!! No internal superdrive!!?!? I hate the world!!!!"

The way some people behave on these boards reminds me of that World of Warcraft youtube video where a teen goes crazy bananas cause his mum cancelled his account.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Coming from a IPad 2 and I use reading glasses of 275 mag . I thought it would be a issue. I went to Apple store a couple times to play. Actually turns out worst place to try it since getting one its far better at home so keep that in mind when shopping. The size, weight are main reasons for getting it as I work a lot in the house on the IPad which sitting on the couch holding the normal size one was kind of uncomfortable being slightly to heavy and big. I can say now this is so much better in that regard. Also not mentioned yet is I like the lightning cable much better and having a IPhone 5 its nice to have one type of cable to charge both devices.

I did not go for the LTE version and slightly still debating that but the iPhone is on a share plan and I get free hot spot with it and for the rare times I may need it which seems to work pretty well I think I will be okay. Seriously how far away is your iPhone away from you anyway. Almost never so I always have that. Being a photographer by trade I thought the retina would be nice but images don't look so bad on it.

Anyway it has a lot more pluses about it for my needs than the negatives.

One thing I have noticed and not sure anyone brought this up but in landscape mode Safari looks better as the fonts get bigger and brighter which is pretty nice. Learning curve for me is landscape mode but I will get used to it.

One final word since I do own a photography forum and as a admin. Just ignore the trolls folks. Responding to the constant whining of this screen is just feeding there trolling. We are all different and all have many different needs and styles. There is no right way and no wrong way on how you live, work and compute. LOL

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I love my wifi mini. I Bluetooth tether to my iPhone 5 when I need to - works great and I don't even have to pull my iPhone out of my pocket to do it. Portability is key with me, but I need an iPad - iPhone won't quite cut it for real work. No, the screen is not as good as my iPad 3, but it's not horrible and I can live with the trade off until a retina mini can be built in the same form-factor.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
My path to enter Apple ecosystem:

iPad Touch 5 $299 - A nice device, the screen was great but I decided that that it was just too small for games and videos so I took it back.

iPad3 $399 Open Box Best Buy - Another nice device with a GREAT display and I thought this was it BUT being accustomed to 7" andriod tablets, the weight and size proved not to my liking so I took it back.

iPad Mini $329 - Cause of the size and weight even knowing the display wasn't as good as the 3rd gen or the andriod tablets I have, I decided to purchase it anyway and give it a good going over and make a decision afterwards.

Lots of folks speak about the size and weight. Well there is another big reason why I bought it: BANG FOR BUCK to get into the ecosysytem!!!

Buyer beware cause you'll lose sleep with the Mini! I'm one happy camper :)

----------

I too have been using an ipad 3 since it came out but was too big to carry around. I hate browsing on my phone and carried the tablet in my briefcase. The mini fits in my pocket an is soo much more useful. All the fuss over the screen is the same drivel and whining we see every time Apple releases something new. My biggest surprise is how snappy the mini is. It's easy to forget how much processor is needed to move around all the pixels on the retina display. I was worried that the mini would be sluggish with the weaker processor, but I don't notice it at all.

I just need to find a decent case as it I am more worried about dropping it as I will be carrying it around a lot more than the older units.

Just check the accessories forum. I ordered a case for it for $6.98 that has gotten good reviews. AND I bought a carry case for it from Five Below for $5.00 and it has a carry handle. That store has lots of iPad accessories by the way.

Last edited:

Izzybeff

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
As a woman, the iPad mini is a definite replacement for my iPhone. This thing is so light I can throw it in my purse and never even notice the difference in weight.

My phone plan renews on Tuesday, so on Monday the iPhone is going bye bye. I'm actually looking forward to going back to the dumb phone as there are several things phonewise that drive me nuts on the iPhone.

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
I really like the mini

I travel a lot so smaller and lighter is usually a benefit for me

I started with an iPad 1. Loved it (for personal use) along with a MacBook Air (for work) when traveling. I upgraded to an iPad 2 for the cameras/video calling. Been happy with the 2 but just got a mini for its size and weight benefits. I skipped the 3 and find the 4 less interesting because of the size/weight/charge times resulting from the retina display (which is nice but not worth the down side for me)

I mostly use the iPad for reading books and magazines, surfing, email and video calling. My eyes aren't great but I find the mini screen fine coming from an iPad 2. And the mini is a definite benefit size and weight wise when traveling.

On the down side, the keyboard is no longer full size so conventional two handed typing is not possible for me. Two finger typing is faster though. One other strange thing is that when I am in settings occasionally the mini seems to pause for several seconds between selecting another settings screen and displaying that screen. It doesn't seem slow or pause anywhere else.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's a good device and it depends what products you have as to whether it will work for you. I say if you have a Mac air it is a perfect fit between that and an iPhone. If you have a retina Mac the normal ipad fits that spot. The mini is interesting. I have to pinch and zoom too much, so I find myself using the 4 more often.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I think the iPad mini amazing the weight & size is spot on personally i don't think that apple could of done a better job of the size and the weight of it.
I use the mini more then i use the 9'7 inch iPad i do prefer it for for surfing the net playing games but for watching movies or Tv Series or Tv then i would prefer to use the 9'7 just purely because of the bigger screen but the mini is perfect for traveling around i cannot wait to get my Otter-box case and take out the mini with at the moment i don't want to take the mini out with me just in case that it does get scratched or damaged in anyway.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida

Weight
Portability

Dislikes:

No retinal bleeding that you know about!

Kidding, I agree 100%. I'm very happy with my Mini.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
The iPhone 5 and the iPad Mini overlaps? How big are your pants?

who the hell tells you to put the mini in your pants?

yes it can't fit in the pants, but at leasy by bringing it with hand, it's not as cumbersome as the full sized iPad. and when i have the mini everywhere, why would i need the iphone? i can do everything with mini except sms and phone only, which will be substituted by a cheap android or a dumb phone.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
who the hell tells you to put the mini in your pants?

yes it can't fit in the pants, but at leasy by bringing it with hand, it's not as cumbersome as the full sized iPad. and when i have the mini everywhere, why would i need the iphone? i can do everything with mini except sms and phone only, which will be substituted by a cheap android or a dumb phone.

Makes perfecrtly good sense to me until the banks add passbook functionality or starbucks like functionality into the mix. The same can be said about government issued ID cards.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
My opinion is it is ok for what it is. It is an entry level device to get people into the apple ecosystem at less cost. The form factor is great! That wasn't enough for me to keep it though because the screen is bad. When it gets a better display I will purchase another. A tablet should be all about the viewing experience and the mini doesn't produce in the most important aspect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.