Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Firstly the machine specs

Mac Pro 2009 4,1
Mountain Lion 10.8.2
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHZ
Memory 6 GB
XFX Radeon HD6870 card

Yesterday I swapped out the Radeon HD4870 card for the 6870 and updated the kext file, before I did this I could play GW2 at medium settings with good results now the game lags all the time, IE: When moving through the game world its all speed up slow down not good at all.

Same machine but running the game under Windows 7 in Bootcamp and it all runs fine with higher settings.

Last edited:

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Weren't you the guy who initially said he didn't want to mess with non-standard cards, and thus ruled out a modern NVIDIA card? You realize that a Fermi or Kepler generation card would've worked right out of the box, no need for third party hacks or custom drivers? Can't help but think it would've been easier to just get a GTX 680 or something.

I don't know anything about AMD cards so hopefully someone else can help you figure this out.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
OP, I noticed you had a thread about flashing your 6870. ATY_init should not be used with flashed cards.

Weren't you the guy who initially said he didn't want to mess with non-standard cards, and thus ruled out a modern NVIDIA card? You realize that a Fermi or Kepler generation card would've worked right out of the box, no need for third party hacks or custom drivers? Can't help but think it would've been easier to just get a GTX 680 or something.

As I recall, one of his requirements was to have boot screens maybe?

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006

I don't know anything about AMD cards so hopefully someone else can help you figure this out.

why I did not buy a GTX 680, the cost.

----------

OP, I noticed you had a thread about flashing your 6870. ATY_init should not be used with flashed cards.

I have NOT flashed the card.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

I have the 6870 in my 2009MP, and it's working very well. I simply plugged it in and booted up. No drivers, no nothing. Try it with the init file removed.

Loa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.