Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:23 AM   #201
drblank
macrumors regular

A suggestion.

Apple has a Feedback page to submit ideas to Apple for their products.

I guess this is a perfect time to submit those ideas way before the OS update..

But I would make sure the ideas are clearly worded, keep in mind that just ranting doesn't help, and making sure that the ideas don't slow down the system, bloat it too much and is something feasible.

Who knows, they might add it.
drblank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:46 AM   #202
Bradllez
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
OS XI won't be as cool to say as OSX when it comes out.
That's why a 10.11 version is always a possibility.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:49 AM   #203
McreativeH
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to McreativeH
OS XI Saber Tooth

And i hope they dont make it just iOS that would be awful
McreativeH is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:32 PM   #204
ratsg
macrumors regular

its not.

When we go to 11, it will be on the Spinal Tap theme.

It goes to 11! Thats one more!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleTheseDays View Post
Why is saying ten cooler than saying eleven?

----------

Truly the pinnacle of OS X. Still had classic support, and before Apple started taking away features big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
I'm still on Tiger
ratsg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:12 PM   #205
McreativeH
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
My iPad and iPhone are primarily communication and media consumption devices. My Mac is used primarily used for work, video editing, word processing, and picture editing.

Until it is feasible and convenient to do all of my work stuff on a tablet or phone, they will remain as toys.
Agreed this is exactly how I work and use my iPhone as a communication device and for music etc. I do have fun on my Mac too but its mainly used for college work
McreativeH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:17 PM   #206
McreativeH
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMilligan View Post
OSX Domestic Short Hair

If they did Saber Tooth, that would be awesome.
Agreed
McreativeH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:31 PM   #207
starmelts
macrumors newbie

Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:58 PM   #208
zz2k9
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Or . . .
OS X Top Cat.

that is just the funniest thing ive seen on macrumors in a while!
good photoshopping!
zz2k9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:23 PM   #209
theineffablebob
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
OS XI won't be as cool to say as OSX when it comes out.
Next version is gonna be called iOS X.

And it's gonna be for ARM-based notebooks.

And it's gonna be a total redesign.

I wouldn't be surprised if this did happen because Apple is trying so hard to be independent.
theineffablebob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:50 PM   #210
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
I wish Apple would release bigger updates, like they used to, rather than incremental updates. Look no further than the fact that 10.8 came out after 10.7.4, remember the days... Tiger made it all the way to 10.4.11 even after Leopard came out.
They saw themselves hitting a plateau and said as much years back when they announced they'd do updates as they've come out.

What feature can anyone really think of that's going to be revolutionary at this point? Heck, they retooled expose 9 million times more than necessary....

I think Apple's next big thing will resemble something along the lines of windows 8, which irks me, because how did microsoft beat them to market with an os of that nature?? I'm over ios throwing up on osx.... just merge them already
MacAddict1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:39 PM   #211
SellYourMacBook
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmelts View Post
i lol'd
SellYourMacBook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:06 PM   #212
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

OS X That's No Lion!
MartiNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:50 AM   #213
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwk88 View Post
the reason power nap only works on solid state memory is because it wouldnt be quiet and your computer wouldn't be "sleeping" if the drive was spinning all night doing updates.....
Only solid state memory, you say? Well, it just so happens that all of my Macs all have SSDs inside.

I'd honestly rather not use Power Nap, I'd rather have control over what happens on my system. But just for the sake of discussion... any other reasons Apple would hold back? Perhaps... artificial limitations?
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:38 PM   #214
Qaanol
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
I am too, but didn't they merely rename "Save As" to "Duplicate"?
They function differently, at least when I tried on 10.8.1.

Say I open a file called “Original.txt” in TextEdit and delete a few paragraphs. If I hit “Duplicate” and save it as “Modified.txt”, the result will be that both “Original.txt” and “Modified.txt” get saved as the modified version, with the paragraphs deleted. The original is no longer how it was.

Or suppose I insert a read-only CD and open a picture in Preview. Let’s say the picture needs to be rotated 90°, so I rotate it. Then I want to save it into the Pictures folder on my hard drive. On 10.8, Preview first tries to save over the original, and when that fails because it is read-only, it aborts and refuses to save the new version at all.

Essentially, the difference is that the old way you can make all the edits you want in RAM, and then when you are done you can decide whether or not to save the result. But the new way, you have to decide ahead of time whether you might possible want to save a new version, and make a duplicate on the hard drive before you even start editing.
Qaanol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:42 PM   #215
aggri1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaanol View Post
...Or suppose I insert a read-only CD and open a picture in Preview. Let’s say the picture needs to be rotated 90°, so I rotate it. Then I want to save it into the Pictures folder on my hard drive. On 10.8, Preview first tries to save over the original, and when that fails because it is read-only, it aborts and refuses to save the new version at all.
Are you serious? You can't save with a new name/location an edited file which is read-only on disk? That's so unbelievably stupid! What happens then? You just lose what you've done even though it's right there in front of you?

Long live 10.6!
aggri1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:44 PM   #216
xgman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by theineffablebob View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if this did happen because Apple is trying so hard to be independent.
yuck . . . .
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:20 PM   #217
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Say I open a file called “Original.txt” in TextEdit and delete a few paragraphs. If I hit “Duplicate” and save it as “Modified.txt”, the result will be that both “Original.txt” and “Modified.txt” get saved as the modified version, with the paragraphs deleted. The original is no longer how it was.
Dang....

I always thought "Duplicate" meant it duplicated the origional, therefore, when yu save the duplicate, you leave the origional unmodifird.

As least, thats how i understood it. apple has weird ways for saving stuff.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:30 PM   #218
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:

Or suppose I insert a read-only CD and open a picture in Preview. Let’s say the picture needs to be rotated 90°, so I rotate it. Then I want to save it into the Pictures folder on my hard drive. On 10.8, Preview first tries to save over the original, and when that fails because it is read-only, it aborts and refuses to save the new version at all.

Essentially, the difference is that the old way you can make all the edits you want in RAM, and then when you are done you can decide whether or not to save the result. But the new way, you have to decide ahead of time whether you might possible want to save a new version, and make a duplicate on the hard drive before you even start editing.
Oh man, that's terrible. Whose idea was that?! According to this article, they didn't have Save As in Lion but brought it back in Mtn Lion, but there's some caveat:

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/29/get-s...y-and-without/
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:34 PM   #219
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

Why not siply calling OS X Sabre-tooth?
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:48 PM   #220
dwman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
add a SSD storage device. its like a new machine.
I actually added the Seagate Momentus 750GB hybrid drive a few months ago which works great. Just afraid of bogging it down even further.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:51 PM   #221
Aluminum213
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmelts View Post
Hahahaha
TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:28 AM   #222
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotlj View Post
OS X + I OS = OS XI.
We will see a unified OS XI, done!
Why do so many people want this?

It's pretty much what Microsoft have done with Windows 8 and it's received huge criticism! AHHHH.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theineffablebob View Post

iOS X implies it's the tenth version iOS.

iOS is a slimmed down, touch version of OS X. Why would you want to loose all of the advantages of OS X just so all your Apple products run the same software?

I can see them working together, and becoming more and more similar, but really? Every WWDC are we going to see the new iOS software that runs on EVERYTHING?

----------

I hope OS X 10.9 is to OS X what the rMBP is to Mac. Amazing. Future proof. Professional.

Maybe not expensive though.
thekeyring is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:35 AM   #223
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpro2000 View Post
Those days were fun.
They were....I remember the big "X" on the retail first retail versions of OSX, and all the fun with dramatic leaps forward...Seems stale now, as we mover ever closer to total IOS integration, things we can all see coming, It would be nice to have a really new set of groundbreaking features...Really interesting stuff to talk about. I can't see it though.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:29 AM   #224
jeremy.shi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
add a SSD storage device. its like a new machine.
just did that, my mac is now much faster.
jeremy.shi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:02 PM   #225
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoIdeasOriginal View Post
All I'm hoping for is that this stuff is gone in 10.9!

Why? You don't have to use those features... Calendar and Notes are actually really useful, especially when kept in sync via iCloud.

I understand if all OS X 10.9 did was add more features like this, it would be disappointing, but why take away features?
thekeyring is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion