Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlsoKnownAs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Hi all,

My university for some reason decided to start blocking Safari users on OS X from visiting the blackboard site where all my course information is posted. I am able to surpass this block by choosing a different user agent such as Internet Explorer, Chrome or even Safari iOS in the develop menu but it's annoying to always have to do this.
Does anybody here know of a way to have Safari always use a certain user agent when accessing this website?

Thanks.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
I don't think that a university blocks based on User-Agent. That would be a real scandal. Maybe site not compatible with Safari? IE only amateur programmer?

Did you try Firefox and Chrome?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can read here how to setup a KB shortcut to switch it when you want.

I thought I saw a Safari extension once to do what you want, but now I can't find it. :confused:

AlsoKnownAs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I don't think that a university blocks based on User-Agent. That would be a real scandal. Maybe site not compatible with Safari? IE only amateur programmer?

Did you try Firefox and Chrome?

The website used to work fine on Safari but they recently blocked it. When I try to visit it now I get a page that says the website is unavailable for Safari users because a bug in the browser caused a large amount of stress on their servers. Changing the user agent doesn't send you to this page and you can use the website like usual.
Using another browser works as well but I prefer Safari.

You can read here how to setup a KB shortcut to switch it when you want.

I thought I saw a Safari extension once to do what you want, but now I can't find it. :confused:
Thanks! Thats very helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.