Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfpeay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Cloudland, GA
I hear a 'Click' every so often on my iMac - I sounds very much like a camera shutter being released as if someone is taking a snap shot? Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks in advance for your help.

nfpeay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Cloudland, GA
OS X makes that camera shutter noise when you take a screen shot by hitting shift-command-4.

This is exactly the sound I hear but of course I am not performing a screen shot, I could be just reading a post or I may be typing a note - makes me wonder if I have been hacked somehow and someone is taking screenshots without my knowledge.

----------

Could be the hard drive parking.

Thanks for the reply - the sound is coming through the speakers and way to often for the HD to be parking, really has me puzzled.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
The fact that it's coming from the speakers indicates it's a system generate sound attached to some recurring event. I have an MBP and noticed that there's a sound effect in sound preferences called "Frog" that sounds somewhat similar to the shutter sound. There's also "Tink" which produces a click.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.