Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicmad2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Hi

With regard to battery power on my Macbook 5.1 OS X Leopard 10.5 I'm only getting 10min of battery time when not connected to a power chord. Even though battery status confirms full, the Mac automatically shuts down at 85%. In system preferences battery settings are at computer sleep 20min and display sleep 15min, but this occurs only when the Mac is inactive.

Why isn't the Mac consuming it's full battery time of say 2hrs.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi

With regard to battery power on my Macbook 5.1 OS X Leopard 10.5 I'm only getting 10min of battery time when not connected to a power chord. Even though battery status confirms full, the Mac automatically shuts down at 85%. In system preferences battery settings are at computer sleep 20min and display sleep 15min, but this occurs only when the Mac is inactive.

Why isn't the Mac consuming it's full battery time of say 2hrs.
Try resetting the SMC. Also, calibrate your battery using the instructions in the CALIBRATION section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

musicmad2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Read the instructions, it confirms,

With the computer still on, disconnect the power adapter and continue to use your computer.

When you see the low battery warning, save your work and close all applications. Keep your computer turned on until it goes to sleep.

This is totally not possible as when i disconnect the PA there is no time for a battery warning as the Mac shuts down automatically after 10 min.

It's been suggested my Mac battery is dead and will need to replace it. I purchased the macbook in 2009 and have almost certainly always used it vie the power adapter not battery back up. Given this info would anyone else recommend a battery replacement ?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
With regard to battery power on my Macbook 5.1
I purchased the macbook in 2005 and have almost certainly always used it vie the power adapter not battery back up. Given this info would anyone else recommend a battery replacement ?
You have given conflicting information about your MacBook. The MacBook 5,1 is the aluminum model initially released in October, 2008. You claim you bought yours in 2005, which isn't possible, since the first MacBook model was released in May, 2006. Enter your serial number here to find accurate specs for your model.

You can also find specs on all Apple products:

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Read the instructions, it confirms,

This is totally not possible as when i disconnect the PA there is no time for a battery warning as the Mac shuts down automatically after 10 min.

It's been suggested my Mac battery is dead and will need to replace it. I purchased the macbook in 2009 and have almost certainly always used it vie the power adapter not battery back up. Given this info would anyone else recommend a battery replacement ?

Sounds like you do need a new battery.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
You might want to check this, if you haven't already. It'll tell you what state your battery is in.

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 91

musicmad2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
This is the info received from the battery status, not being familiar with this DATA is it confirming positive or negative ?

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: DP-bq20z951-397b-2a95
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: bq20z951
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 002a
Hardware Revision: 0005
Cell Revision: 0100
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 499
Fully charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full charge capacity (mAh): 526
Health Information:
Cycle count: 51
Condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 203
Voltage (mV): 12595

musicmad2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
I would prefer to go with GGJstudios recommendation by purchasing the original Apple battery for the macbook as opposed to replacing it and installing a third party battery. Just gives peace of mind in knowing you've got the real thing.

Is it still possible to purchase an internal battery for a 13-inch aluminum 2009 Macbook?

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Assuming that is the new battery, it is not detected. Have you tried resetting SMC? Battery might be bad or then the battery connector in the machine is bad. I have owned Macbook and disassembled it but I cannot remember whether or not the battery connector was directly soldered to the motherboard or if it was replaceable, like it is in my Macbook Pro.

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
This is the info received from the battery status, not being familiar with this DATA is it confirming positive or negative ?

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: DP-bq20z951-397b-2a95
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: bq20z951
Pack Lot Code: 0000
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 002a
Hardware Revision: 0005
Cell Revision: 0100
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 499
Fully charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full charge capacity (mAh): 526
Health Information:
Cycle count: 51
Condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 203
Voltage (mV): 12595

Hold up. I see your cycle count is extremely low. If you nag the guy at the apple store enough he'll probably replace your battery for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.