Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:43 PM   #1
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Where America's Racist Tweets Come From

Quote:
The day after Barack Obama won a second term as president of the United States, the blog Jezebel published a slideshow. The gallery displayed a collection of screen-capped tweets. Among them was this:...
The tweets are too racist to print here.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...e-from/265006/

Quote:
...Their findings?

Alabama and Mississippi have the highest LQ measures: They have scores of 8.1 and 7.4, respectively. And the states surrounding these two core states -- Georgia, Louisiana, and Tennessee -- also have very high LQ scores and form a fairly distinctive cluster in the southeast.

What might be most surprising, though, is the distribution of tweets beyond that cluster. North Dakota and Utah both had relatively high LQ scores (3.5 each), as did Missouri (3). And Oregon and Minnesota, though they don't score as high when it came to LQ, have a higher number of hate tweets than their overall Twitter usage would suggest.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:27 PM   #2
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Thankfully, there were only two of them posted by Facebook "friends" as statuses. But man, they were doozies. I thought about creating a thread like "post the worst status messages on your Facebook wall regarding Obama's win". But I thought it could get kind of nasty, so I didn't.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:30 AM   #3
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 11, 2013 at 08:01 AM.
  7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:54 AM   #4
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
I'm just going to take a brief moment and be smug that South Carolina was not at the top of the list.

(Which is probably because the racists don't have the internet around here)
SwiftLives is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:03 PM   #5
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

And the white people mourning for romney wasn't racist? While I still thought the pictures were funny the premise was in poor taste in my opinion.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:12 PM   #6
sviato
macrumors 68020

@TheFunnyRacist had a bunch too, but most were an attempt of humor and not actual hate.
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Hawkeye16
macrumors regular

Interesting that DC had a score of 1.5 in that survey yet 91.4% of people voted for Obama...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:49 AM   #8
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I think Twitter is vastly over-rated as a measure of public opinion. We just had an election. That is the ultimate test.

I'm much more annoyed by this:

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,5622330.story

Quote:

Mitt Romney told his top donors Wednesday that his loss to President Obama was a disappointing result that neither he nor his top aides had expected, but said he believed his team ran a “superb” campaign with “no drama,” and attributed his rival’s victory to “the gifts” the administration had given to blacks, Hispanics and young voters during Obama’s first term.

Obama, Romney argued, had been “very generous” to blacks, Hispanics and young voters. He cited as motivating factors to young voters the administration’s plan for partial forgiveness of college loan interest and the extension of health coverage for students on their parents’ insurance plans well into their 20s. Free contraception coverage under Obama’s healthcare plan, he added, gave an extra incentive to college-age women to back the president.
The willful ignorance of Romney and his supporters that is reflected in these remarks is very discouraging. Romney's concession speech on Tuesday was the best speech of his life. I guess he thought better of it.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:00 AM   #9
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Dey come from dixie....
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:59 PM   #10
bowens
macrumors 6502a

Is it racist if a black Facebook friend of mine writes "MY President is BLACK and I love it!!!?" I saw a few of those right after the election.

What would there reaction have been had Romney won and I posted "My president is White and I love it?"
bowens is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:07 PM   #11
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowens View Post
Is it racist if a black Facebook friend of mine writes "MY President is BLACK and I love it!!!?" I saw a few of those right after the election.
This is the exact same reason we don't have a White Entertainment Channel or White Pride parades (well, non-KKK type parades).

Racist for whites, not racist for blacks. And as a white guy, I'm OK WITH THAT, considering every channel besides BET is essentially the White Entertainment Channel.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:14 PM   #12
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowens View Post

What would there reaction have been had Romney won and I posted "My president is White and I love it?"
No it wouldn't be racist but there would be racist undertones because if the president had been white would have have loved it any less and why?

I'm not willing to call someone or something racist based on undertones but you know where there's smoke...
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:17 PM   #13
NickZac
macrumors 68000

This isn't all that different from the hate statements people made about rioting, harming others based on biological traits, and killing the president if Romney won. Surprise, racism works both ways!

http://www.examiner.com/article/medi...st-mitt-romney
http://now.msn.com/mitt-romney-death...off-on-twitter
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/mult...hoot-him-dead/
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:34 PM   #14
iJohnHenry
Banned

For Christ's sake, he's beige, half of each disputed colour.

If this isn't compromise, then I am at a loss at the meaning of the term.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:34 AM   #15
VulchR
macrumors 68000

I spent some time in the North having grown up in Virginia. I took all sort of crap about racism in the South, yet nobody seemed to remember the Boston busing riots, the Newark riots, discrimination in housing purchases in NY state etc. etc. etc. So while racism might be the most visible in the South, it is hardly confined to the South. Regrettably, I have never been to a place int he US where there was some sort of racial tension. All I can say is at least the US is trying to stamp out this kind of thing, and there are good people even in the South trying to eliminate racism.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues