Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipearr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Unfortunately, I think I just lost my iphone 5 tonight. I do have the 6.99 insurance plan, but I wonder when can I get the replacement, since as I heard it still takes one month for Apple to ship iphone 5.

If one month is the case, I wonder if I can simply got an iPhone 4 or 4s instead of waiting another month for iPhone 5?

Any ideas/thoughts are welcomed

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Unfortunately, I think I just lost my iphone 5 tonight. I do have the 6.99 insurance plan, but I wonder when can I get the replacement, since as I heard it still takes one month for Apple to ship iphone 5.

If one month is the case, I wonder if I can simply got an iPhone 4 or 4s instead of waiting another month for iPhone 5?

Sorry about your phone. I would check with your carrier to see how soon they can get you a new iPhone.

jmorales5922

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Tough spot you're in..

I broke my iphone 5 within 2 weeks of purchasing it,
However, I had best buys geek Squad protection plan. It took them nearly a month to replace it. I sent it in October 21st. And just got it today. However they did replace it with a brand new in box one at the store and bumped me up to a 64GB free of charge for the wait. I had a galaxy s3 to get me through the wait, I'd suggest just to do the claim

ipearr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
I had the AT&t insurance that the sales assistant highly suggested for the first 2 months, now I think it is kind of non sense if they cannot replace it for me immediately, like they promised online...

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Over the years I have developed a set of cardinal rules regarding iPhones. They can be applied to any smartphone... but since myself and a lot of my friends are Apple fans... I call them my iPhone Cardinal Rules. It is very simple. Following them has caused me to never lose or misplace an iPhone.

Cardinal Rule #1.

If your iPhone isn't in your hand, it's in your pocket.

Cardinal Rule #2.

If your iPhone isn't in your pocket it's in your hand.

There are only 2 exceptions to Cardinal Rule #2.

#1 Exception:
If you are home, your iPhone can be left at your charge/sync area to charge or sync if that is consistently the same place you charge/sync. Don't constantly move your charger around your house.

#2 Exception:
If you have a docking station for your iPhone in your vehicle, you may dock it there while driving, but under no circumstances are you to leave your vehicle unless you execute Cardinal Rule #1 or #2.

I recite these rules to friends who leave their phones on the table while enjoying a meal at the restaurant. By doing this, you are just asking for a drink to spill on your phone or to just forget it when you pay your bill and leave.

Another one for guys is leaving it on the top of a urinal toilet while going to the bathroom. Why not just stick it in your pocket while you take a pee?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
That really sucks to lose your phone, can't afford to be so careless with an expensive an sought-after device.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Hmmmm I think it's worth asking them for a 4/4s until the 5 comes in. Alternatively you can buy a 4 off kijiji/Craigslist for cheap and use that until your 5 comes in and then sell it for near what you paid. If you are so inclined, buy a scuffed up one for a lot less, and restore it yourself to sell for more than what you bought it for. Just some options to get you going while you are phone less.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

Have you called them yet? Some require a police report for lost phones be filed before they'll issue a replacement. Also, they may have a stock of replacements on-hand already, vs having to order you one directly from Apple and having you wait.

How much is the deductible for losing it?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Over the years I have developed a set of cardinal rules regarding iPhones. They can be applied to any smartphone... but since myself and a lot of my friends are Apple fans... I call them my iPhone Cardinal Rules. It is very simple. Following them has caused me to never lose or misplace an iPhone.

Cardinal Rule #1.

Cardinal Rule #2.

I've followed your rules since 2007 (actually before that with my older phones) and have never misplaced it or needed to use Find my iPhone. Seems like more people would be better off following the above rules than buy insurance and be more careless in the process (and subject themselves to a lengthy wait time for the replacement).

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
So Cal

Cardinal Rule #1.

Cardinal Rule #2.

There are only 2 exceptions to Cardinal Rule #2.

#1 Exception:
If you are home, your iPhone can be left at your charge/sync area to charge or sync if that is consistently the same place you charge/sync. Don't constantly move your charger around your house.

#2 Exception:
If you have a docking station for your iPhone in your vehicle, you may dock it there while driving, but under no circumstances are you to leave your vehicle unless you execute Cardinal Rule #1 or #2.

I recite these rules to friends who leave their phones on the table while enjoying a meal at the restaurant. By doing this, you are just asking for a drink to spill on your phone or to just forget it when you pay your bill and leave.

Another one for guys is leaving it on the top of a urinal toilet while going to the bathroom. Why not just stick it in your pocket while you take a pee?

I like this very much but will just amend it (for me) from "pocket" to "purse"
and with my new iPhone I have been extra diligent to put it in the actual pocket in my purse made for a phone. I use to just throw my old one in willy nilly and then spend extra time searching for it.

To the OP: Sorry yours was lost, did you have the "find my iphone" locator on?

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
I like this very much but will just amend it (for me) from "pocket" to "purse"
and with my new iPhone I have been extra diligent to put it in the actual pocket in my purse made for a phone. I use to just throw my old one in willy nilly and then spend extra time searching for it.

To the OP: Sorry yours was lost, did you have the "find my iphone" locator on?

Actually, findmyiphone does not need to be installed on the lost/stolen idevice (common misconception). Just need to activate it when you initially setup your idevice. Then you can locate your idevice through iCloud.

The findmyiphone app is used to locate your other idevices, should you. "Lose" them.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
So Cal
Actually, findmyiphone does not need to be installed on the lost/stolen idevice (common misconception). Just need to activate it when you initially setup your idevice. Then you can locate your idevice through iCloud.

The findmyiphone app is used to locate your other idevices, should you. "Lose" them.

I know, that is why I asked if he had "it on" or I guess I should have said "activated"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.