Upgrade to iTunes Plus for free with Match - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Dec 17, 2011, 04:13 AM   #1
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Upgrade to iTunes Plus for free with Match

While iTunes Match initially ignores your legacy DRM iTunes purchased content, leaving it at 128kbps, you can convert it to iTunes Plus and free your music from DRM by deleting the track and re-downloading.

From "Protected AAC Audio File"

... to "Purchased AAC Audio File"

Nonetheless, Apple has maintained the iTunes Plus upgrade menu for the more distracted iTunes customers.

For many of us who have been buying from iTunes since the beginning, our iTunes Plus upgrade ran many times more than the purchase price of iTunes Match. Mine was about $280. iTunes Match has already paid for itself for about the next 10 years
Old Dec 17, 2011, 04:21 AM   #2
purpleparrotuk
macrumors member

How do you know which tracks are the low quality ones so you can download the better one. Do you have to do it all manually?
purpleparrotuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 04:31 AM   #3
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleparrotuk View Post
How do you know which tracks are the low quality ones so you can download the better one. Do you have to do it all manually?
I created a Smart Playlist with the following rules:

- iCloud Status | is | Purchased
- Bit Rate | is less than | 250kbps

Check off "Live updating"

Then I selected all and deleted them all confirming to trash the file but making sure not to delete from iCloud (ensure the box is checked off).

Then immediately, next to the playlist a download all button appears.

Note: If you checked off Live Updating those files will stay in the playlist and you can press the download all button. If the Playlist is live updating, then hurry and press the download all button before the files are removed from the playlist because they no longer meet the less than 250kbps Bit Rate rule.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:37 AM   #4
tootall
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
I created a Smart Playlist with the following rules:

- iCloud Status | is | Purchased
- Bit Rate | is less than | 250kbps

Check off "Live updating"

Then I selected all and deleted them all confirming to trash the file but making sure not to delete from iCloud (ensure the box is checked off).

Then immediately, next to the playlist a download all button appears.

Note: If you checked off Live Updating those files will stay in the playlist and you can press the download all button. If the Playlist is live updating, then hurry and press the download all button before the files are removed from the playlist because they no longer meet the less than 250kbps Bit Rate rule.
I am trying to do something similar as you, but I am not able to delete items in my Smart Playlist, how come? (in the menu delete is grayed out!)
tootall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:08 AM   #5
tootall
macrumors regular

OK found it: option + command + delete
tootall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:38 PM   #6
rumbletum
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to rumbletum Send a message via AIM to rumbletum Send a message via MSN to rumbletum Send a message via Skype™ to rumbletum
Thanks for this, was a real help

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services