Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malesack

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
My local AT&T store received a bunch of 32GB white around 3 PM PT.

Sometime in the last couple hours, Apple changed my preorder of a 16GB white mini ATT from delivery from Nov 21 to Nov 30th. It has been in engraving status for the last six days with promised deliver by next Wednesday. Now I can't remove the engraving (to save a few more wasted days) without cancelling the order completely and putting myself back on a waiting list.

I might as well return the mini smart cover which for some reason Apple shipped within a few days of ordering both items together. By the time I get my mini, there will be hundreds of mini cases for a whole lot cheaper. :(

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
Called my local Apple store around 7pm said they didn't have any. Checked with the apple store app around 10:05 store says they have them but it will not let me do in store pick up. I called apple and they said they have not released them yet and try again later tonight. They do not know when they will release them

Phima256

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cleveland
Shouldn't the title of this article have a question mark at the end of it?

Sounds like, after reading several threads, that the "launch" is spotty at best and mere speculation. It's likely that they didn't anticipate such preorder delays and, as a result, such frustration from those who expected their orders before or on launch day. Seems strange. I wonder what the hold up is and why there are no definitive answers for the delays and vague launch dates.

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
iPad mini lte available for in store pick up now

Was just able to order an iPad mini lte version for pick up in my local apple store! Went live @ 12:01am est

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Can we still pay $30 for a months service on Verizon whenever we want it or must we pay $10 per month and set it up as part of their "Share" plan. I know there will be months when I won't use it on LTE at all, so I'd rather use pay as you go

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
If you buy the Verizon iPad with out a plan you can sign up month to month on the iPad it self and cancel any time. You could also add it to your Verizon phone plan, but then you would need to do a share any thing plan. I have my iPhone with AT&T, grandfathered in unlimited (5gb lte) so switching to Verizon share every thing plan was not going to be cost effective. I just do a month here and their on my Verizon iPad. Just make sure you do not sign up for a data plan at the Verizon store, just do it on the iPad and you will be fine

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Reason they're limited...

... Is because Apple is testing the market. They aren't going to put all their technology into this first generation product. Apple is doing several things here. They're seeing how big the mini will be. They're seeing if people are stupid enough to buy it despite the clearly inferior display (I just finished playing with one and even though I'm still on my 3GS, my wife has an iPad 3 and the mini PALES in comparison). They're seeing how many people are smart enough or have the patience to wait for the next iteration.

Of COURSE Apple will produce limited supplies of this mini. After all, they don't want to be left with a huge inventory from this little experiment of theirs.

----------

... Christ, I live in Thailand and they already have the minis here. Doesn't seem like many people here are in a rush to get them either... the iPhone 5 is still the biggest rave here. Makes the poor MacBook Pro section look so sad and forlorn... People only seem interested in the iPads and iPhones (though I didn't see them rushing to buy the minis).

Perhaps this is all part of Apple's experiment: release the mini a week after the iPhone hits and see which one is the bigger hit.

Malesack

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I wonder what the hold up is and why there are no definitive answers for the delays and vague launch dates.

I'm thinking ATT made an agreement (or pushed their weight around) with Apple to delay all ATT mini orders for at least a week so as to promote their own store launch yesterday and their $100 discount plan.

Phima256

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cleveland
Those reasons makes sense. Frustrating that they are silent about it but, given those reasons, they can't really release a statement for why. I ordered one despite mediocre reviews in hopes that the size factor will outweigh the lack of retina. While others are receiving it in stores, I am waiting til nov. 26th. I ordered mine on oct 26, day of launch. Poor planning for those faithful enough to trust a product. Slightly disappointed in how they handled the "launch" and "pre" orders.

dave dave

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
I found out the $100 off from AT&T is really only $64 as post-paid plans require a $36 activation fee. And a 2-year commitment. And a credit check. And then there is also the $350 early termination fee to consider, which is 5.5 times the savings being offered. On an iPhone this ratio is pretty close to 1. I don't get it.

Decided none of that was for me and going with prepaid and buying through Apple's website instead.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
How come other places always have more stock than Apple.com? Like right now, you can order an iPhone 5 from Verizon and have it shipped today.

Same deal with the iPad mini. I understand Verizon just put their models up for sale, but they have instant availability of that and the iPhone. Where as Apple lists 2-3 weeks.

Europe, Asia. China Launch in particular. Seriously try the 10p-4a deal.

I did this for an 8 day period. Just 10:30p-10:45p. Nothing. Then on that 8th night I tried one last time after the news around 11:40p.. My local store updated sometime between 10:45 and 11:40p. Had the White at&t 32g 5 my wife wanted in stock. Purchased and pick up at 10a the next morning. It's worth a chance. Which it really is. "A Game of Chance". They push you heavily to accessories once your in the store. A good straight arm stops them. :apple:

Last edited:

Malesack

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Sometime in the last couple hours, Apple changed my preorder of a 16GB white mini ATT from delivery from Nov 21 to Nov 30th. It has been in engraving status for the last six days with promised deliver by next Wednesday. Now I can't remove the engraving (to save a few more wasted days) without cancelling the order completely and putting myself back on a waiting list.(

Crap! Apple just did it again. Now it is back Engraving status with no cancellation option but with another new promised delivery of December 3rd. Seriously, Apple? C'mon.

Tommy Linsley

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Some aren't so lucky

Just checked. My iPad Mini delivery date just got 5 days added onto it overnight. Yesterday delivery was scheduled for 21st; now it's 26th. I thought I pre-ordered as soon as the opened up; guess I took longer than I thought.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Crap! Apple just did it again. Now it is back Engraving status with no cancellation option but with another new promised delivery of December 3rd. Seriously, Apple? C'mon.

Yours must have been one of the orders affected because of the Lufthan..err JFK heist.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Hmm... go to AT&T. Add $10/mo to my 10GB Family Share. Save $100 on iPad Mini LTE... making it $359...

WIN?

Umm, what?

It's $10 a month for a 2 year contract. So you're locked into paying $240 at least.

I'd rather not save the $100 up front and and pay for the data a la carte.

Maybe if AT&T waived like $150-200 they'd be talking.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
On a side note: Here in Germany we finally get a figure when the delivery will happen and not just: "Ships late November"

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I've had my new 64gb LTE iPad 4 for 4 days now :D

This thing is simply wonderful. The screen is sharp and bright, the A6X processor is snappier, and surprise - despite going through quite a workout there is no excess heat that I've detected.

Also I find that I like the Lightning connector much better than the obsolete 30-pin connector. I always had a difficult time connectng it to my iPad 3, whereas this new connector is easy and feels secure.

This transaction has exceeded all my expectations, from the early delivery date to the performance of the iPad 4 itself.

Can't wait until Apple releases the iPad Mini with Retina display :)

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
I've had my new 64gb LTE iPad 4 for 4 days now :D

This thing is simply wonderful. The screen is sharp and bright, the A6X processor is snappier, and surprise - despite going through quite a workout there is no excess heat that I've detected.

Also I find that I like the Lightning connector much better than the obsolete 30-pin connector. I always had a difficult time connectng it to my iPad 3, whereas this new connector is easy and feels secure.

This transaction has exceeded all my expectations, from the early delivery date to the performance of the iPad 4 itself.

Can't wait until Apple releases the iPad Mini with Retina display :)

I agree the iPad Mini with Retina display will be a nice toy, i will buy it
it will be $705 with tax for 64GB LTE mostly likely too.

illegible

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
So far i've been given the following dates for my ipad 4 (not in order): 16th, 19th,21st,23rd,26th, "mid November", "Late November" and "ship within 5 days" of the 8th... no opportunity to cancel and shifting dates all over the place. Right now Apple says 26th, fedex says 23 and it's sitting in Chengdu.

No engraving, and i ordered within two hours of launch. Although this is my first time pre-ordering from Apple, i know plenty of people that have and they've never seen a launch as screwed up as this one.

HAMEYO

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2011
This type of marketing goes against you when the person who's waiting buys another product instead.

There are many reasons Apple's stock value is down almost $200 per share in less than a month. This is at least a small portion of it.

Silly Comment!

The Reason why Apple's Stock is Plummetting is that Apple's Stock Has Been " MANIPULATED in disfavour " by Villain, We All Know that!!!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.