Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
This might sound like a dumb question. I'm planning on getting an iPod Touch 5g this week. I currently have a cheap MP3 player that I listen to in bed to help me get to sleep. However, sometimes I accidentally fall asleep while listening to it. It has a sleep timer so battery loss isn't an issue, but sometimes I roll onto it and it even falls off the bed occasionally. I don't want that to happen to a $300 device, but I really want something to listen to in bed. My question is, would you recommend listening to an iPod touch in bed, and if so, how can I keep from rolling onto or dropping it in my sleep? Should I go ahead and set it on the floor next to my bed or something like that? Thanks.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Quite a valid question. Who wants a $300 device hitting the floor, even carpeted one? If you have a box spring and mattress, you could jury rig an iPod holder of sorts by using a large mesh bag (gotta have air circulation) to contain the device. Cut a hole in it so your earbuds hang free, and tuck the excess of the bag in between the mattress and box springs. If you get the idea, that should keep the iPod flush against the mattress edge.

Or, you could screw a hook into the wall next to your bed (or above your head), stick the Touch in a light cotton sock, and hang it from the hook. Not a high class option, but doable!

Bluetooth earbuds are a more elegant option. And more expensive.

Edited to add that if you move around a lot in your sleep, go Bluetooth.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hahahahaha, I am the exact same way. Just put it in a small padded pouch with a little zipper or button to close it and don't worry too much about it.

I have rolled over my iPods/iPhones in bed at least 500 times without doing any damage to them. In fact pretty much everyday I find myself waking up and not knowing where it went and often find it under my pillow or on the carpet. Already did that with the new iPod Nano too. :eek:

Using bluetooth headphones would be an easy solution, but just getting some protection for the device would be more worthwhile, a padded pouch or even something like Speck's CandyShell would be perfect for you.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I use the Sleep Cycle app to monitor my sleep and wake me up at an optimal time, so I have my iPod touch in bed nightly. I always slide my iPod into my pillowcase. My iPod has never once ended up on the floor (or out of the pillowcase, for that matter). This would be the cheapest option, and the EarPods that ship with the iPod touch barely stay in my ears, so of you had those in your ears before bed, they'd probably just fall out if you tossed and turned. No risking pulling your iPod out or getting the EarPods tangled while you sleep.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I looked up Bluetooth headphones and they look a little on the pricey side for my budget, but the bag tucked under the mattress or on the wall seems like a cheap and doable project. Thanks again for your helpful ideas! :)

EDIT
hmm, the pillowcase is a great idea too... but I hadn't thought about the earpods falling out... I guess if I'm asleep I wouldn't notice, but do you think they'd get damaged? I'm not too worried about tangling because over the years I've become a master earphone cord untangler, but I don't want them to get damaged.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
EDIT
hmm, the pillowcase is a great idea too... but I hadn't thought about the earpods falling out... I guess if I'm asleep I wouldn't notice, but do you think they'd get damaged? I'm not too worried about tangling because over the years I've become a master earphone cord untangler, but I don't want them to get damaged.

Best bet is to wear the new ear pods and see how they fit. I really like the new design because they fit securely and don't fall out. If you're concerned about overnight damage, wear the ones you're currently using and save the new set for daytime use. :)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Are you just going to mainly use it for music in bed and everywhere?

If so, get a nano. It seems more sturdy.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
Are you just going to mainly use it for music in bed and everywhere?

If so, get a nano. It seems more sturdy.

Music is one of the main reasons I'm getting a touch, but I also want the app platform, messaging, browsing, pocket-computer aspects of it. If I were going to use pretty much only music, I'd get the nano.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
I've always used my iPod Touch 3rd gen in bed.
It has a case which protects the display etc.

I'd hunt around for a good case and that should protect it from knocks, bumps and drops from the bed to the floor.
Or you could tuck it under your pillow.

As already mentioned, if you can afford or justify getting a pair of bluetooth headphones, I would give that a go.
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.