Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Galaxy S III vs iPhone 5 Review

Before criticizing, note that this review has been completely created/compiled by myself, Squilly. Let's begin. I just so happen to own both an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S III. I got my iPhone 5 a little less than a month ago and got my Galaxy S III about a week ago. I'm writing a formal review to help you make your decision on which to get. The review will be relatively brief, although it should ultimately help you make your decision.
Operating System
As it is known, the Samsung Galaxy S III runs on Android (currently on Jelly Bean for Sprint and T-Mobile and Ice Cream Sandwich on the other carriers. The iPhone 5 runs on their own operating system which is designed by the engineers that design the phone itself, known as iOS - currently iOS 6.0.1, fixing minor bugs in the OS. This decision is solely up to the consumer, and greatly varies with each. One of which is much more customizable than the other. iOS is a static operating system, meaning not much can ever be changed, without jail-breaking it, which I don't recommend. Android gives you a flat slate to customize it as you wish. Personally, I enjoy iOS over Android since I don't have a need to customize my phone to a specific liking.
Winner: iPhone 5
Screen Size
The Galaxy S III measures 4.8" diagonally and the iPhone 5 measures 4.0" diagonally. After using both for a brief period, I am in favor of the 4.8" display. 4.8" is large, probably the largest phones should be able to go (aside from the Galaxy Note(s)). Usually, with the Galaxy S III, you'll have to move your hand upwards in order to touch the top of the screen (or at least slant it). The iPhone 5 fits perfectly in your hand and maintains a 16:9 aspect ratio. It is definitely different from previous iPhones in a good way, although I prefer the larger screen of the Galaxy S III.
Winner: Galaxy S III
Voice Recognition
Voice Recognition is a big part of a phone these days, used much more often than ever before. The Samsung Galaxy S III uses S-Voice and the Apple iPhone 5 uses their own software, Siri. I have played around with both of these voice recognition software's for a while. All in all, I'm in favor of Siri. Both software's have expanded greatly over the course of their existence, although Siri seems to be slightly faster and more accurate, with more capabilities. Sending a text is easier, navigating is easier (somewhat), even making a call. I'm not saying S-Voice is bad, I just prefer Siri.
Maps
I find this to be absolutely crucial in a phone. The Samsung Galaxy S III uses Google Maps and the iPhone 5 uses a new mapping software after branching off of Google. Google Maps has been able to adapt over long periods of time, as Apple's Maps software is very new. The one thing I really enjoy about Apple's software is its ability to see buildings in 3D. This can't be done on Google Maps, although Google Maps is much faster, less laggy, and in my opinion, more accurate.
Physical Colors
The Samsung Galaxy S III comes in dark blue, white, as well as red and black on some carriers, appealing to both parties (male and female). To note, I've only seen the dark blue and white colors on the Galaxy S III, so I'll stick with those colors in this review. The iPhone 5 comes in a slate black and white/grey color. I own a blue Galaxy S III and a black iPhone 5. Physically, I'm a fan of both. The iPhone 5 uses a two-tone color scheme and the Galaxy S III uses colors that appeal to the senses that aren't too bright, but not too dark.
Winner: Both
Cameras
I've played with both cameras on both the Galaxy S III and the iPhone 5 for a long time, since I use my phone for pictures a lot. Both phones use an 8.0 MegaPixel camera on the rear facing camera and 5MP on the frontal camera. I don't notice much of a difference between the two, quality wise, although the added features to both are very important to me. The Galaxy S III has many options available that the iPhone 5 does not have (ie. smile shot, cartoon shot, and burst shot). Granted, effects are available in FaceTime effects, although I prefer it all in one application. Both phones have a Panorama option, with that I prefer iPhone 5, since it's a bit smoother. Overall, though, I prefer the Galaxy S III camera.
Weight and Size
The Galaxy S III is both larger, thicker, and slightly heavier than the iPhone 5. There is not a noticeable different between the two (except for screen size, of course) nor do I care for it. Since the Galaxy S III does have a bigger screen in general, it would make most sense that it is heavier. On another note, the iPhone 5 is smaller, thinner, and slightly lighter. Again, I don't really care for it, although would make most sense that it's lighter, since the phone screen size is smaller.
Winner: Neither
Battery Life and Quality of Parts
The Galaxy S III has a removable battery, which is also significantly larger than the battery on the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 sustains a better battery life, since the parts it uses are less power-consuming. In the end, the battery life of both equal out and are not as advertised if used heavily. I use my phone heavily, so I get 4 to 5 hours out of it on a normal charge using 3G. I am not in a 4G area, thus am unsure of how battery life would correlate. On another note, the Galaxy S III uses a plastic casing and the iPhone 5 uses a glass and aluminum enclosure. I like the feel of the iPhone 5 much better, since the enclosure feels less cheap than it does on the Galaxy S III. If you were to drop both, the iPhone 5 would probably sustain less damage than the Galaxy S III (or feels like it would).
Conclusion
After going over a variety of topics, both phones have their positives and negatives. Both phones have 4G capabilities on a variety of carriers, both have excellent displays as well. Apple's display is slightly better since the PPI (Pixels Per Inch) is greater than it is on the iPhone 5. I notice more vivid colors and more of a contrast in colors on the Galaxy S III, although better overall quality on the iPhone 5. The choice must be left up to the consumer, being you. A very large factor for you should be the operating system you prefer. If you don't like the Android operating system, go with the iPhone 5 - and vice versa. If your choice was mine to make, I would go with the Galaxy S III. Currently, I use the iPhone 5 since that's what I'm used to, since the iPod Touch 2nd Generation/iPhone 4S. The range of apps are greater on the iPhone 5, although the customizability of the Galaxy S III is far superior to the iPhone 5. What would you sacrifice for your phone of choice?

I really hope you enjoyed this review. Hopefully, more are to come if you like it in the end. Thanks for reading and I hope I helped!​

Last edited:

tmoney82

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
:eek: A honest review. I never thought I would see it here!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Honest review. But id like to point out that the GS3 also now comes in Red and Black. Though not every carrier has them.

It also has Jelly Bean on Sprint and TMobile.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
While the S3 has much more options that give the user control over their image, the iPhone 5 has far superior optics and image sensor meaning better photos and less noise (grain) in low light. The colors of the iPhones photos are also much more accurate. Agree with the rest of the review though.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
While the S3 has much more options that give the user control over their image, the iPhone 5 has far superior optics and image sensor meaning better photos and less noise (grain) in low light. The colors of the iPhones photos are also much more accurate. Agree with the rest of the review though.

This is true only if you never make any adjustments to the camera and leave it as it came out of the box. The iphone is very limited in camera adjustments. The S3 has more functionality. However, this translates to better photos for the average iphone owner that couldn't tell you what iso adjustments do. When photo reviews are done by websites, they always leave the S3 stock and fail to adjust for proper lighting, mode, etc.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
What about cloud services? How you compare them?

Music player? One thing I really enjoy is iTunes in the cloud, I have a 'very big' library, 150GB, I can't never fit it in any iPhone. The Genius playlist works great, and if it doesn't have access to the whole library the experience with it would be limited, or not as good.

VPN access? Any benefits with Android?

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'll update it. Wrote it a little while ago, forgot about the Jelly Bean update.

----------

Honest review. But id like to point out that the GS3 also now comes in Red and Black. Though not every carrier has them.

It also has Jelly Bean on Sprint and TMobile.

Updated, thanks.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
This is true only if you never make any adjustments to the camera and leave it as it came out of the box. The iphone is very limited in camera adjustments. The S3 has more functionality. However, this translates to better photos for the average iphone owner that couldn't tell you what iso adjustments do. When photo reviews are done by websites, they always leave the S3 stock and fail to adjust for proper lighting, mode, etc.

Thats because its a phone! Apple was smart enough to know your average smartphone user isnt going to know a thing about apertures, f stops, ISO and shutter speeds and they shouldnt need to. I am a professional photographer and would never dream of handing someone a phone to take a pic and saying it looks OK in its default mode, but why dont you read the lighting we are in and go ahead and make the correct adjustments needed to ISO and shutter speed yourself. LOL

inhalewaste

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
Thats because its a phone! Apple was smart enough to know your average smartphone user isnt going to know a thing about apertures, f stops, ISO and shutter speeds and they shouldnt need to. I am a professional photographer and would never dream of handing someone a phone to take a pic and saying it looks OK in its default mode, but why dont you read the lighting we are in and go ahead and make the correct adjustments needed to ISO and shutter speed yourself. LOL

Are you sure you're not making excuses? Is this enough of a reason not to offer options/features? I get what Apple is doing, trying to appeal to the masses, but what would be so wrong of them to offer the options? The masses can always leave it default, and those who want to tinker can have more freedom. You don't necessarily have to be a professional photographer to want a little more control.

Is that so bad? If Apple offered more control while Samsung didn't, would you give Samsung the same excuse: "Because Samsung knows it's a phone."

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Are you sure you're not making excuses? Is this enough of a reason not to offer options/features? I get what Apple is doing, trying to appeal to the masses, but what would be so wrong of them to offer the options? The masses can always leave it default, and those who want to tinker can have more freedom. You don't necessarily have to be a professional photographer to want a little more control.

Is that so bad? If Apple offered more control while Samsung didn't, would you give Samsung the same excuse: "Because Samsung knows it's a phone."

I agree, especially as a photographer I would love more control over images on the iPhone. However, the iPhone is very good with its auto mode. I have tested it indoors, outdoors, macro, telephoto, its quite stellar. The bokeh (background blur) it gives you on closeups of your subject is fantastic for a phone camera. I have not come across a situation with the iphone yet where I was wishing I could tweak the settings because the auto mode is that good. The auto modes on any Android phone I have had, including the S3 were pretty awful, especially in lower light.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Galaxy S III vs iPhone 5 Review

Voice Recognition
Voice Recognition is a big part of a phone these days, used much more often than ever before. The Samsung Galaxy S III uses S-Voice and the Apple iPhone 5 uses their own software, Siri. I have played around with both of these voice recognition software's for a while. All in all, I'm in favor of Siri. Both software's have expanded greatly over the course of their existence, although Siri seems to be slightly faster and more accurate, with more capabilities. Sending a text is easier, navigating is easier (somewhat), even making a call. I'm not saying S-Voice is bad, I just prefer Siri.

With JB update, S3 (offline) voice recognition (incl. voice to text) is much faster. google now is better than siri.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
With JB update, S3 (offline) voice recognition (incl. voice to text) is much faster. google now is better than siri.

It may be faster but it's not as accurate. Google now also can't manage your schedule, know who your family is, give you reminders based on location, play and manage your music and a ton of other useful things Siri can.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
It may be faster but it's not as accurate. Google now also can't manage your schedule, know who your family is, give you reminders based on location, play and manage your music and a ton of other useful things Siri can.

Very true...

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
In terms of accuracy, my experience with Google Now is so much better than Siri. With Siri, I often get mistranslated words. That almost never happens with G.Now.

Dictation in general is so much more accurate on Android. I think it has to do with the fact that it writes out what you're dictating live. Whereas with iOS dictation, it waits until you're finished before it starts populating your words/sentences. And if what you're dictating gets remotely long, it mistranslates words, and sometimes misses entire words altogether. It's actually a bit frustrating.

With Android, seeing it written out live allows you to stop and correct anything it misses. The funny thing is, it almost never gets anything wrong.

That's been my experience.

In general, there are so many ways to input text with Android. Thumbing, swiping, voice dictation -- all on the same keyboard -- depending on your situation. I love being able to gesture-type when I'm one-handed. It's so interchangeable between thumbing and gesturing. No switches necessary to the keyboard. It's a great feeling.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Google Now is highly accurate, it's the voice dictation when sending a message or email that sucks and makes mistakes regularly. Also, you can't just say "email John brown" or " text John brown" and start speaking your message like you can with Siri. Huge bonus.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Google Now is highly accurate, it's the voice dictation when sending a message or email that sucks and makes mistakes regularly. Also, you can't just say "email John brown" or " text John brown" and start speaking your message like you can with Siri. Huge bonus.

Are you sure? I think you can do that.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012

I'm not sure about Google Now but with Google Voice, I can easily say "email Joe Bob. Blah,blah,blah." And done. Same with texts and making calls. I use Voice to send most of my texts since it's faster and easier than typing or swiping. Very rarely do I have to make corrections.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I meant with Google Now. Google Voice is a service, not a feature on a phone. If you mean S voice, I only tried that a few times and it was awful. Both in speed and accuracy.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I meant with Google Now. Google Voice is a service, not a feature on a phone. If you mean S voice, I only tried that a few times and it was awful. Both in speed and accuracy.

What do you mean? Once you open up Google Now, you can just tap on the mic and issue voice commands.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Google Now is highly accurate, it's the voice dictation when sending a message or email that sucks and makes mistakes regularly.

I find this to be wholly untrue, and actually a more appropriate description of dictation on iOS. Android's dictation is, actually, near perfect. iOS dictation not only mistranslates words, but sometimes misses them entirely. I find it far more frustrating to use. As I said, I think it has to do with the fact that it waits for you to finish your entire message before it begins translating. Any messages that get remotely long, the mistakes become more frequent.

I can't test it now and I don't do it often, but I swore I've asked to "call Jim" or "text Jim I'll be there soon" with Google voice search, especially while driving. Can someone confirm whether or not this can't be done on Android? I could have sworn it could.

----------

What do you mean? Once you open up Google Now, you can just tap on the mic and issue voice commands.

Thank you. That's what I thought too. I don't use it often, but I remember having done it before.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I find this to be wholly untrue, and actually a more appropriate description of dictation on iOS. Android's dictation is, actually, near perfect. iOS dictation not only mistranslates words, but sometimes misses them entirely. I find it far more frustrating to use. As I said, I think it has to do with the fact that it waits for you to finish your entire message before it begins translating. Any messages that get remotely long, the mistakes become more frequent.

I can't test it now and I don't do it often, but I swore I've asked to "call Jim" or "text Jim I'll be there soon" with Google voice search, especially while driving. Can someone confirm whether or not this can't be done on Android? I could have sworn it could.

----------

Thank you. That's what I thought too. I don't use it often, but I remember having done it before.

I've used Google Voice Search on iOS and I use Siri regularly. Honestly, they're both pretty great at dictating.

I don't think either has much advantage. Siri can do more and is easier to converse with, but Google Voice Search is often faster. Siri is getting faster, but it's really hit or miss with her.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012

Google voice is an application that provides a voice functionality service. I just tried Google Now and it was able to send a text and an email just fine.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

As I said, Google Voice is a service, not a feature on a phone...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Voice

----------

Google voice is an application that provides a voice functionality service. I just tried Google Now and it was able to send a text and an email just fine.

Great. Mind posting a video of it? I am not aware of Google Now being able to send a text or a message just by speaking a contacts name and speaking your message.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Great. Mind posting a video of it? I am not aware of Google Now being able to send a text or a message just by speaking a contacts name and speaking your message.

Full list of Google Now commands:

http://www.addictivetips.com/android/google-now-commands-smart-cards-list/

Scroll down to "Contact & Communication"

The list is even larger than I thought. If it can do all that (get weather, launch websites, etc.) I don't see why it can't also do "call / text" so and so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.