Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newbiee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Does backing up include apps, notes, music, contacts and pictures? And if not how would I back them up?
And if I were to restore my phone from a backup what would get transferred back on?

itkindaworks

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Does backing up include apps, notes, music, contacts and pictures? And if not how would I back them up?
And if I were to restore my phone from a backup what would get transferred back on?

I believe it's everything you mentioned minus music. That would be too much to backup. If you manually manage your music, there are plenty of third party programs to rip your music.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I do this every time before I upgrade to a new iPhone.

Connect your iPhone to iTunes and from the main menu, first choose to Transfer your purchases to iTunes, to get any apps that you've bought using your iPhone into iTunes for a record of the most current activity. After that process is finished, right click on the dropdown arrow to the right of the device name, then choose Backup from the resulting menu. Wait a little while for it to finish.

Next, I plug my new empty iPhone into iTunes & choose Restore from Backup. The result is essentially a clone of my previous iPhone. Everything transfers: music, documents, all apps, Settings, text messages, photos, video, ebooks. Everything. This is my third upgraded iPhone & it worked like a charm each time. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.