Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
The new 12 W USB that comes with the Ipad 4 will charge your Iphone5 in 3/4 the time of the Iphone5 charger. Excellent $19 investment if charging your Iphone5 quickly is needed.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Lol

If you say so buddy.

Pigs can fly too.

Even the 10W iPad charger would charge the iPhone faster than the stock iPhone charger. It's not going to damage anything as the phone will only draw as much power as it can use.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
If only factual posts were made here, there would only be half the posts.

The iPhone 5 can only draw a bit over 5 watts no matter what the capacity of the charger, put an in-line meter on the circuit and prove it for yourself as I have.

The 12W charger (I have two) DOES charge the iPad 3 faster, but only by 45 minutes or so. It can draw up to 13W.

The 12W charger stays a lot cooler than the 5W on the iPhone and the 10W on an iPad. This should translate to a longer service life. So there's no reason not to use the 12W on the iPhone- but it won't charge faster.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
I bought my device from US and I use it on Turkey with adaptor.Do you think it will hurt the battery ? I just applied a cheap a.s adaptor and the normal apple charges connected to it .Will it hurt my battery ?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
If only factual posts were made here, there would only be half the posts.

The iPhone 5 can only draw a bit over 5 watts no matter what the capacity of the charger, put an in-line meter on the circuit and prove it for yourself as I have.

The 12W charger (I have two) DOES charge the iPad 3 faster, but only by 45 minutes or so. It can draw up to 13W.

The 12W charger stays a lot cooler than the 5W on the iPhone and the 10W on an iPad. This should translate to a longer service life. So there's no reason not to use the 12W on the iPhone- but it won't charge faster.

This. It only draws 5W from the 10 and 12W charger, so it doesn't charge it any faster.

S

syd430

So many contradictory posts. Can anyone say definitively whether or not the iphone 5 is able to draw more than 5w?

So many people seem to be sure that their iphone is charging faster.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
FYI I just measured it using a watt and amp meter. The iPhone 5 charger charges using 6 watts and 0.08 amps. The iPad 10w charger charges using 10 watts and 0.8 amps.

This means it is a FACT that the iPad charger charges the phone with more wattage.

What's interesting too is that when I plugged a USB extension cable to the lightning cable both the ipad and iphone charger charged using only 0.05 amps and 3 watts.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
This. It only draws 5W from the 10 and 12W charger, so it doesn't charge it any faster.

Incorrect. I've timed charging from both chargers and the iPhone (this was true of my 4, 4S, and now 5) all charge faster from my iPad charger than they they do from the iPhone charger. Somewhere along the line, someone with pull around here (likely measured in number of posts) claimed that it wouldn't charge any faster and the lemmings just crowed it as truth. I can tell you from testing that the "iPad class" chargers do charge the iPhone significantly faster.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Incorrect. I've timed charging from both chargers and the iPhone (this was true of my 4, 4S, and now 5) all charge faster from my iPad charger than they they do from the iPhone charger. Somewhere along the line, someone with pull around here (likely measured in number of posts) claimed that it wouldn't charge any faster and the lemmings just crowed it as truth. I can tell you from testing that the "iPad class" chargers do charge the iPhone significantly faster.

Fact is Fact. Anyone that owns a 12w charger use it on your Iphone5 and let us know. I've compared the charging times and I can say from actual test it only tales 3/4 the time that the 5w charger takes to charge the Iphone5.

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON
FACT. The iPad 10 and 12 watt chargers do charge the iPhone faster. I have tried it with 4S and 5.

Those of you who claim otherwise... Prove it, with real life testing not with your personal interpretation of specifications.

Post a time lapse video of your claims showing that all chargers charge at the same rate lol. Otherwise keep quiet.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
FACT. The iPad 10 and 12 watt chargers do charge the iPhone faster. I have tried it with 4S and 5.

Those of you who claim otherwise... Prove it, with real life testing not with your personal interpretation of specifications.

Post a time lapse video of your claims showing that all chargers charge at the same rate lol. Otherwise keep quiet.

In case anyone had any doubts as to the iPad charger charging faster:

IMG-0914.jpg

IMG-0917.jpg

Again though I will stress that they both charge at the SAME rate if you plug in a NON-APPLE charging cable. This was also proven in the same test.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
The amount of smugness from this is astounding because you're just blatantly wrong. It makes you look idiotic.

Lol this guy been living under a rock?!

Who didn't use their spare iPad 3 charger to use on the iPhone ?!

I mean come on who doesn't have at least two of these?!

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
no tax...nice job man wish I could do the same. Keep on saving money on your gadgets so you can pour $$$$ into the m5.

If you aren't able to get a corporate discount, there is always Target. I use a RedCard and save 5% and get free shipping better than nothing. I got my lightning to usb cable almost tax free lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.