Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:33 AM   #1
joshallegro
macrumors newbie

Multiple iTunes Libraries on different HD's

Hey guys,

I am running out of space on my Mac HD.
Is it possible to create a secondary iTunes folder on an external hard drive to store my least used iTunes playlists/playlist folders and use my Mac HD to store my most frequented ones?

If I did this, would my External HD song titles/playlists still be visible in iTunes even through the files are currently not attached?
Would it be possible to set up so that; when I am away from my External HD, I can only access the playlist folders on my Mac HD but, when I am back with my external I can have my full range of iTunes playlists.
joshallegro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:11 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

One method is to have one iTunes library, with your favorite music stored on your internal drive, so it's available when you're mobile (if you have a notebook), with the remainder stored on one or more external drives.

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store