Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:10 AM   #1
henriknorem
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Haugesund, Norway
Is it really "paint"?

I'm heading into a controversial subject now.

Yesterday, I picked up my iPhone 5, and accidentally made contact between the iPhone's edge and my iPad's edge. They merely touched each other, but it still made some very nice scratches on my iPhone.

What surprised me, though, was that, lying on the iPad's bezel, were flakes of dark paint from the iPhone! I could pick it up and hold it in my hand, tear it in half etc.

I was really shocked, because Apple tell us that the color is part of the aluminum itself, but based on this, I'm wondering..

Has anyone else experienced finding "paint flakes" after scuffing their iPhone's? I still can't understand how this happened, so please fill me in if you know something I don't!
henriknorem is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:19 AM   #2
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Residue from the anodizing coating, which does wear away in the long run (a defective one rubs off prematurely even with normal wiping).
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:53 AM   #3
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Residue from the anodizing coating, which does wear away in the long run (a defective one rubs off prematurely even with normal wiping).
Quote:
(a defective one rubs off prematurely even with normal wiping)
thats what she said



ahhh sorry dude.. i couldnt refrain
BFizzzle is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:56 AM   #4
jomirrivera
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriknorem View Post
I'm heading into a controversial subject now.

Yesterday, I picked up my iPhone 5, and accidentally made contact between the iPhone's edge and my iPad's edge. They merely touched each other, but it still made some very nice scratches on my iPhone.

What surprised me, though, was that, lying on the iPad's bezel, were flakes of dark paint from the iPhone! I could pick it up and hold it in my hand, tear it in half etc.

I was really shocked, because Apple tell us that the color is part of the aluminum itself, but based on this, I'm wondering..

Has anyone else experienced finding "paint flakes" after scuffing their iPhone's? I still can't understand how this happened, so please fill me in if you know something I don't!
They merely touched and the iPhone scratched and leaved flakes of paint on your iPad and you could hold them and tear them in half?

Im sorry but I said this is BS
jomirrivera is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:12 AM   #5
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomirrivera View Post
They merely touched and the iPhone scratched and leaved flakes of paint on your iPad and you could hold them and tear them in half?

Im sorry but I said this is BS
yeah man if it came off at touch.. he would pick his phone up and have **** on his hands.. or better yet.. in the box when he opened it
BFizzzle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:21 AM   #6
henriknorem
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Haugesund, Norway
Why do you say so, jomirrivera? I lifted my iPhone and they touched. It was the edge of the iPad so that might have been why. While my iPhone has scratches on it, the iPad is still spotless. I never said the flakes were big, let's say they were a mm, but I could separate them into pieces, and I emphasized that because it made me suspect it was a layer of paint.

There is something fundamentally wrong on this forum when 80% of the people just call "BS" on every thread where people are trying to tell a story. What do I, or any other person, have to win on making up stories about these things?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Residue from the anodizing coating, which does wear away in the long run (a defective one rubs off prematurely even with normal wiping).
Ok, thanks for the information. Shame it wears away, because the iPhone looks really great when it's all black.

But now that I have a scuff on it, I can finally stop looking after it like it's a newborn baby.
henriknorem is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
It's the anodized coating not paint.
Jordan921 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:04 PM   #8
aleni
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
lol this is bull ****.
aleni is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:04 AM   #9
Radiating
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriknorem View Post
I'm heading into a controversial subject now.

Yesterday, I picked up my iPhone 5, and accidentally made contact between the iPhone's edge and my iPad's edge. They merely touched each other, but it still made some very nice scratches on my iPhone.

What surprised me, though, was that, lying on the iPad's bezel, were flakes of dark paint from the iPhone! I could pick it up and hold it in my hand, tear it in half etc.

I was really shocked, because Apple tell us that the color is part of the aluminum itself, but based on this, I'm wondering..

Has anyone else experienced finding "paint flakes" after scuffing their iPhone's? I still can't understand how this happened, so please fill me in if you know something I don't!
MacRumors is probably a bad place to ask about engineering questions.

As an engineer let me answer yours.

Anodized coatings should never rub off in flakes, they rub off as a powder (which requires extreme force). They simply do no flake off in my experience. The chamfered edge of the phone (the black part not the bluish grayish "slate" part of the metal) IS painted with black paint though. So the phone is actually a mix of paint and anodizing. The white phone has a bare metal edge.
Radiating is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:11 AM   #10
Kenjhee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
MacRumors is probably a bad place to ask about engineering questions.

As an engineer let me answer yours.

Anodized coatings should never rub off in flakes, they rub off as a powder (which requires extreme force). They simply do no flake off in my experience. The chamfered edge of the phone (the black part not the bluish grayish "slate" part of the metal) IS painted with black paint though. So the phone is actually a mix of paint and anodizing. The white phone has a bare metal edge.
I'm an engineer, also, and this sounds correct to me. Question, though, why would they use paint on just the chamfer? Why not just anodize all the surfaces?
Kenjhee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:17 AM   #11
Radiating
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjhee View Post
I'm an engineer, also, and this sounds correct to me. Question, though, why would they use paint on just the chamfer? Why not just anodize all the surfaces?
Because it's Apple we're talking about here. They want an intricate design and honestly I can appreciate that the chamfer is gloss black while the rest of the bezel is matte dark grey.
Radiating is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:55 AM   #12
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
As a fellow engineer I concur.

lol jk
tymaster50 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:51 AM   #13
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a
 
northernbaldy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: the north, UK
As a fellow engineer, this is why I went white
__________________
17" MacBook pro, MacMini Server, iPhone 5 64gb, AppleTV, iPad 32gb wifi, 11" MacBook Air
northernbaldy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:21 AM   #14
Sedrick
macrumors 68030
 
Sedrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriknorem View Post
There is something fundamentally wrong on this forum when 80% of the people just call "BS" on every thread where people are trying to tell a story.
Simply because this is a 'fan' forum and anyone without something glowing to say about an Apple product will get shouted down right quick.

It's a psychological thing and hard to fathom, but there it is. It's deemed a personal attack on something they have an unhealthy emotional attachment to.

Anyway, from what you and others are reporting, it does, in fact, seem like the edges are painted while the back has a weak anodizing over soft aluminum. Not sure what Apple is thinking here.
__________________
iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2
Sedrick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:36 AM   #15
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
Simply because this is a 'fan' forum and anyone without something glowing to say about an Apple product will get shouted down right quick.

It's a psychological thing and hard to fathom, but there it is. It's deemed a personal attack on something they have an unhealthy emotional attachment to.

Anyway, from what you and others are reporting, it does, in fact, seem like the edges are painted while the back has a weak anodizing over soft aluminum. Not sure what Apple is thinking here.
c-c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker!
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:11 AM   #16
KittyKatta
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
Simply because this is a 'fan' forum and anyone without something glowing to say about an Apple product will get shouted down right quick.

It's a psychological thing and hard to fathom, but there it is. It's deemed a personal attack on something they have an unhealthy emotional attachment to.
Thats EXACTLY the problem with these forums. MacRumors is an Apple-centric site yet it's so difficult to have a true Apple discussion because any honest negativity brings in the defense-squad. Just look at this thread where the OP has a legitimate question that would help A LOT of people and he has to label it as "controversial"? Why? Is it because of the subject matter or because of the insecurity of the defenders?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
Anyway, from what you and others are reporting, it does, in fact, seem like the edges are painted while the back has a weak anodizing over soft aluminum. Not sure what Apple is thinking here.
Ive been dying to ask about paint chipping so im glad someone else brought up the topic. My "controversial" opinion is that the wear and tear on a caseless iPhone5 is pretty ugly. While the original iPhone was prone to scratches and discoloration which made it look rugged and cool, the iPhone5 is very uneven because my anodized back and anodized band looks new but the chamford edges are wearing down silver and any area with a tiny imperfection out of the box now is a much larger chip. So the fact that the edges are painted really is an issue
KittyKatta is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:48 AM   #17
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
Anyway, from what you and others are reporting, it does, in fact, seem like the edges are painted while the back has a weak anodizing over soft aluminum. Not sure what Apple is thinking here.
Exactly! If only people would do a modicum of research and threads such as this could be unnecessary. A quick check on the Apple site gives the explanation:-

"Look at iPhone 5 and you canít help but notice the exquisite chamfer surrounding the display. A crystalline diamond cuts this bevelled edge. Itís what gives iPhone 5 its distinctive lines. Fitting for a phone so brilliant."

The video explains it even better by showing the rotary cutters removing the edges of the anodised back panel. In order to protect the naked aluminium bevelled edges from oxidizing, a protective (and coloured) coating is obviously applied.
John T is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:24 PM   #18
henriknorem
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Haugesund, Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
MacRumors is probably a bad place to ask about engineering questions.

As an engineer let me answer yours.

Anodized coatings should never rub off in flakes, they rub off as a powder (which requires extreme force). They simply do no flake off in my experience. The chamfered edge of the phone (the black part not the bluish grayish "slate" part of the metal) IS painted with black paint though. So the phone is actually a mix of paint and anodizing. The white phone has a bare metal edge.
That should explain it all, then. Thanks!
henriknorem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:09 AM   #19
Kenjhee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I took a good look at that chamfered edge with a jeweler's loop; sure enough, it does look like paint to me. Which explains why the chamfer wears and is more easily damaged than the anodized surfaces. It does have esthetic appeal when new, giving a sharp 2-toned appearance, but given the unequal wear characteristics I question the long-term quality.
Kenjhee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:29 AM   #20
jomirrivera
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
[QUOTE=henriknorem;16314938]Why do you say so, jomirrivera? I lifted my iPhone and they touched. It was the edge of the iPad so that might have been why. While my iPhone has scratches on it, the iPad is still spotless. I never said the flakes were big, let's say they were a mm, but I could separate them into pieces, and I emphasized that because it made me suspect it was a layer of paint.

There is something fundamentally wrong on this forum when 80% of the people just call "BS" on every thread where people are trying to tell a story. What do I, or any other person, have to win on making up stories about these things?[COLOR="#808080"]

So 1mm and you could separate them into pieces?

This is getting better!
Attached Images
 
jomirrivera is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Looking for a "paint", drawing package for my kids iMas70 iPad Accessories 0 Dec 11, 2013 04:38 PM
Problem: Need to "paint back" screen after wake from sleep MacFro iMac 0 Sep 29, 2013 09:55 AM
2010 27" iMac screen issue..."dirty", "cloudy", image retention issues MMcCraryNJ iMac 1 May 18, 2013 04:02 PM
My Logic "track expander tube" doesn't have "end tips" to grab! Whats up? kristenanne77 Digital Audio 3 Mar 28, 2013 08:15 AM
Start a new tab similar to "iOS blog" and "Mac blog" but make it "IPhone Leaks?" Dewroo Site and Forum Feedback 2 Aug 23, 2012 09:47 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC