Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:19 PM   #26
verwon
macrumors 68030

Take video...extract stills from that.
verwon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:25 PM   #27
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Yeah, don't blame the kids, the chair doesn't move by itself, IT'S YOU!

Since nobody here told u to increase the phone's ISO setting, am going to guess this is not adjustable on the iPhone.

U can help somewhat by holding it steady, there are methods and a little training to do that, but the moving kids is gonna ruin it anyways. At the end, if you want to take this kind of pix indoors, u need a REAL camera.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:44 PM   #28
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

a photographer should never blame the subject

Sure, moving kids is often the blame for bad photos. Sure, a better camera with faster lenses help a lot. But with a bit of practice, most people can take decent photos of "moving" kids with a decent camera, iPhone 5 included.

First, about "moving" kids. Those are usually the best photos because they are not told to stand still and pose. Second, they don't move all the time. You just have to anticipate. Next time you are around a moving kid, observe it! Pretend you have a camera with you and try to anticipate when there is a still movement. With a bit of practice you will have plenty of correct guesses and double or triple your keep/throw away ratio.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:54 PM   #29
mykem
macrumors regular

My advice- go into full auto mode meaning that you set the Flash to either AUTO or ON.
mykem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:26 PM   #30
urkel
macrumors 68010

Based on that photo id say jittery hands or poor shutter technique (pressing button moves camera).

My suggestion is to plug in your headphones and use the volume Up as a shutter release and see I'd that helps you keep the camera steady.
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:32 PM   #31
OatmealRocks
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwasher View Post
Just upgraded from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5... The 5 supposedly has a better camera...great I use it a lot. I help run the local Scout Group and as part of the new website I'm working on, I'm taking a lot of photos and rarely remember to take my camera with me. My ongoing problem is whenever I try to take pictures of the youngsters moving ( even at a normal speed) they come out all blurry and useless (no matter how much I edit them with Photoshop Touch on my iPad 3. Here is an example:

I have tried several different camera apps on my iPhone 4 and found them no better than the default one.

Does anyone know why this is and how I can take decent photos?

Thanks

Daniel
Learn to take pictures with a camera not a phone.
iPad 3 - 32GB, iPhone 4S, 16GB, iPod Nano 4GB, iTouch 8GB
OatmealRocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:40 AM   #32
Bishwasher
macrumors regular

Thanks again for all the replies . Never thought about doing videos and taking bits from them...will give that a whirl next time I forget my camera. Just want to make one thing crystal clear - at no point in this thread have I blamed it on the kids - sorry if it sounded that way.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:53 AM   #33
LMD75
macrumors 6502

I see a lot of people holding their phone in an unstable manner while taking photos. Do not hold your phone on the edges using your fingertips. In landscape mode, cup the left hand side of the phone in your palm and use the volume button to take the shot. This postion will guarantee a nice solid stable grip and result in better shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	368589  

Last edited by LMD75; Oct 11, 2012 at 04:09 AM.
LMD75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:33 AM   #34
FieldingMellish
macrumors 6502a

Any phone will seriously not cut it when it comes to indoor action.

The same thing arises when comparing a point and shoot with a DLSR. DSLR kills every time. It offers instantaneous focus, exposure, zero shutter lag (obtaining with immediacy what looked cool enough to shoot and not get the scene a second or two after the fact) and can be set to freeze both the scene and photographer's hand movement.
FieldingMellish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:22 PM   #35
meistervu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwasher View Post
Thanks again for all the replies . Never thought about doing videos and taking bits from them...will give that a whirl next time I forget my camera. Just want to make one thing crystal clear - at no point in this thread have I blamed it on the kids - sorry if it sounded that way.
Nope, you definitely did not blame the kids.

You got a lot of advices from this threads, many of which I do not agree with. Below are my take on the iPhone 5 as a camera.

First, a bit about my background. I started with film SLR, moved to expensive digital point and shoot, then digital SLR. I own quite a few good lenses (cost many times more than the camera). I am very critical when it comes to image quality. I have spent an hour editing a single photo on occasions.

I find the iPhone 5 camera more capable than a point and shoot I owned a few years ago. It focuses really quick, has decent photo quality especially in good lighting, and very acceptable quality under less than ideal conditions.

Can you take good photos with it compared to a good point and shoot? Yes you can. Its weakness is flash photography: tiny led. With a good point and shoot (P&S) you can freeze the action with flash at reasonable distance. With the iPhone 5 the flash range is pretty short.

However it's a moot point to me because I usually don't like flash photography unless it's done with a much more elaborate flash system which can only be trigger by an SLR camera so that the effect is not deer in the headlight. I normally turn off the flash on the iPhone 5, but some time I use it as a fill flash.

With the flash turned off, the iPhone 5 camera is quite capable. It has a f/2.4 lenses which is a really fast lenses by any camera standard. If you go out and get a entry level SLR that comes with a lenses, undoubtedly what you get is a f/3.5 - f/5.6 or slower lenses. A 35mm f/2.4 lenses would set you back a few hundred dollars at least. Most people who walk around with an SLR would have a lenses much slower than the iPhone 5 on their camera. Add to that the fast focusing and start up speed, what you get is a very capable camera for natural and ambient light photography. Learn how to use it and it may be all you will need for snap shots.

Just practice. Start with shots of static objects under different lighting condition. Experiment and don't be afraid to break the rules. You got nothing to lose. Shoot with your back against the Sun, facing the Sun, side light, in almost complete darkness. Sometimes the best photos are technically poor. At times to illustrate real life you end up with a blurry photo. There is nothing wrong with that. The worst you can do is to stick with deer in the headlights flash photography where every shot is posed. Go crazy. If you don't like the photo, hit delete. But be careful because what you deem to be an insignificant blurry shot may be the one that you cherish later on in life.

The best thing about the iPhone 5 camera is that you are more likely to have it with you most of the time. Learn how to use it well and it may be the most important camera you own no matter how many digital SLR bodies and lenses you have at home.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:33 PM   #36
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD75 View Post
I see a lot of people holding their phone in an unstable manner while taking photos. Do not hold your phone on the edges using your fingertips. In landscape mode, cup the left hand side of the phone in your palm and use the volume button to take the shot. This postion will guarantee a nice solid stable grip and result in better shots.
But by using the volume button you are still introducing camera shake into the equation. I find if I hold the phone in a death grip I shake more. If I use my fingers I have much better shots by holding the on screen button down until I'm ready. Maybe it's just 4 years of taking pictures with my phone. Now when I'm using my DSLR and I need to avoid shake, I just hold my arms in real close to my body to limit arm swaying.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:22 AM   #37
Bishwasher
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by verwon View Post
Take video...extract stills from that.
Took a video on iPhone this week - how do I extract stills from it??

Sent using Tapatalk

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone