Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Frisco
macrumors 68020

PowerMac G4 Quicksilver

Need a new hard drive. I am running Tiger and the Tiger install DVD.

What kind of hard drive so I need and the cheapest place to buy? Probably hard to find an outdated hard drive like this in stores. I am not worried about storage: Cheapest, low storage for the G4.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:04 PM   #2
havokalien
macrumors 6502

Drive

It's a normal IDE drive. Not Mac specific, not scsi. Just the same as in older pc's. do not buy a sata drive that's in the g5's and newer.

You don't know the power of the Dark Side!
havokalien is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3
cocacolakid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post

What kind of hard drive so I need and the cheapest place to buy? Probably hard to find an outdated hard drive like this in stores. I am not worried about storage: Cheapest, low storage for the G4.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
You want a 3.5" IDE/PATA drive. You can still find IDE/PATA drives in some stores. IDE/PATA are the same thing, they were called IDE drives at first and over time started to be known as PATA, so some stores call them one or the other but they are the exact same thing. You're in California, Fry's should have some in stock if you're looking to pick one up in person. Otherwise Newegg, Microcenter, and others online have IDE drives online.

Microcenter has some crazy low prices if you're OK with a refurbished drive, starting as low as $8.99...

http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...ortby=pricelow

Newegg has 80 GB Western Digital and Seagate refurbs for $19.99, but the new ide drives are close to $100...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%20%2f%20ATA-6

Last edited by cocacolakid; Nov 11, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:44 AM   #4
keysersoze
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Head on over to the Marketplace Forum and post a Want to Buy ad. I am willing to bet there are a number of people on the forum with IDE drives just sitting in a closet they would be willing to sell.

keysersoze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

also check, if your Quicksilver supports drives larger than 128GB (see http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...wermac-g4.html)

you can take a SATA drive, if you get an adapter. Sometimes SATA drives at low storage spaces are cheaper than IDE.
Cox Orange is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:22 AM   #6
orestes1984
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox Orange View Post
also check, if your Quicksilver supports drives larger than 128GB (see http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...wermac-g4.html)

you can take a SATA drive, if you get an adapter. Sometimes SATA drives at low storage spaces are cheaper than IDE.
This... get a cheaper, larger SATA drive and an adapter.
orestes1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs