Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Hello.

For the past couple of days I'm trying to unlock my iphone 3gs. I'm currently running iOS 6.0.1 which was jailbroken via Sn0wbreeze custom firmware(following http://www.beijingiphonerepair.com/...one-4-or-3gs-with-sn0wbreeze-custom-firmware/). My baseband is 06.15.00 and ultrasn0w + ultrasn0w 6 fixer doesn't work. I have read that I need to downgrade my baseband to 05.13.04.

Can I use redsn0w 0.9.15b3 to downgrade baseband version to 05.13.04 even though I used Sn0wbreeze and not redsn0w for jailbreaking? If I can, what is the correct procedure?

I would appericiate any help as I have spent more than 10 hours trying to unlock this phone.

Thanks a lot.

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Ultrasn0w and ultras0w fixer should work just fine to unlock the 6.15 ipad baseband.
Unless you have an old bootrom 3GS, the 6.0.1 jailbreak is tethered, so have you booted the device using Redsn0w (just boot option) or used iBooty?

That may explain why the unlock isn't working.
Can you confirm it says 6.15 for modem firmware under the settings?

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Ultrasn0w and ultras0w fixer should work just fine to unlock the 6.15 ipad baseband.
Unless you have an old bootrom 3GS, the 6.0.1 jailbreak is tethered, so have you booted the device using Redsn0w (just boot option) or used iBooty?

That may explain why the unlock isn't working.
Can you confirm it says 6.15 for modem firmware under the settings?

Hello and thank you very much for responding!

First of all, I have the new bootrom 3GS(I used snowbreeze to confirm it during one of the stages to create custom firmware).

Secondly, yes I can confirm that under settings I have:'Modem Firmware 06.15.00'. Also, to boot I used iBooty.

I should note that according to ultrasn0w team, there is problems with 06.15.00 baseband, as stated here: http://www.iparelhos.com/2012/11/07/f-a-q/

"Im having problems with 06.15.00 baseband, what can i do?
You need to downgrade your baseband using redsn0w".

Thanks again for trying to help, I simply don't know what I can do now.

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Downgrade baseband after you click Jailbreak in redsn0w isn't working? Try the .9.14b2 instead of .9.15 then.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Make sure you understand the difference between Baseband and firmware.

Redsn0w or sn0wbreeze, the firmware is the same, all sn0wbreeze does is install the firmware without the BB.

So yes you can use redsn0w with out problems.

Just run redsn0w and follow instructions.

iClarified.com has good tutorials

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Make sure you understand the difference between Baseband and firmware.

Redsn0w or sn0wbreeze, the firmware is the same, all sn0wbreeze does is install the firmware without the BB.

So yes you can use redsn0w with out problems.

Just run redsn0w and follow instructions.

iClarified.com has good tutorials

But during downgrading baseband is part of jailbreaking and changing the firmware, is it not? In order to do it I need to choose firmware, so I think it might cause problems.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
no, not the same, it uses the limera1n exploit to downgrade the BB portion only.

if you are not sure than don't do it and you'll be stuck with what you have now.

If you have the SHSH's for the firmware you want to be on you can restore to that particular firmware anyway while preserving your downgraded BB.

Dozens have gone before you.

Your choice

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
no, not the same, it uses the limera1n exploit to downgrade the BB portion only.

if you are not sure than don't do it and you'll be stuck with what you have now.

If you have the SHSH's for the firmware you want to be on you can restore to that particular firmware anyway while preserving your downgraded BB.

Dozens have gone before you.

Your choice

OK, good to know thanks.

So my question for now is: I'm running 6.0.1 (I have SHSH for it) and I want to downgrade the bb. How to I downgrade only the baseband using redsn0w? I'm asking it because I tried to choose 6.0.1 with redsn0w but it doesn't recoginze 6.0.1 - what should I do?

Thanks a lot.

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22652

use 6.0 ipsw

if that doesn't work downgrade to 5.1.1

OK, I'll try 6.0. However, I don't have SHSH for 5.1.1 unfortunately.

I'll update with the results as soon as I'm done.

Also, please let me know: which should I install first: ultrasn0w and then ultrasn0w fixer OR the other way around(first ultrasn0w fixer and only then ultrasn0w)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
well you don't need 6.01 SHSH as it is still signed, so if it doesn't work with 6.0 you'll be stuck.

Ultrasn0w with fixer should work on 6.01.

It might be that your 3GS just doesn't work anymore, maybe the radio is fried, what are the first 5 digits of the serial number?

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
well you don't need 6.01 SHSH as it is still signed, so if it doesn't work with 6.0 you'll be stuck.

Ultrasn0w with fixer should work on 6.01.

It might be that your 3GS just doesn't work anymore, maybe the radio is fried, what are the first 5 digits of the serial number?

I have just tried to downgrade using redsn0w. I get 'ERROR: Please reboot the device nto normal operating mode. then perform a clean "slide to power off" then try redsn0w again.

First 5 digits of the serial number is: 85004

:(

Last edited:

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I wonder why the 6.15 bb is not compatible with the latest Ultrasn0w fixer as the fixer for 5.1.1 worked fine with the ipad baseband prior to the 1.2.7 official release of Ultras0w?
Anyhow, make sure your phone is plugged in to your computer and turned on. Open Redsn0w (the latest version 9.15b3) and select Extras/select IPSW/ and select the 3GS 6.0 IPSW and select yes for new bootrom. Then go back to the jailbreak option and select only the downgrade baseband option and hit next. Now turn the phone off and follow instructions to put the phone in dfu mode and you should be fine.
Remember to use ibooty or redsnow to untether.
Also if you have already installed Ultras0w or the fixer prior to the downgrade, you must remove (uninstall) them from cydia after the downgrade to 5.13.04. Finally install Ultrasn0w 1.2.7 first and then the fixer last.

Last edited:

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Make sure your phone is plugged in to your computer and turned on. Open Redsn0w (the latest version 9.15b3) and select the 6.0 IPSW and select yes for new bootrom. Then go back to the jailbreak option and select only the downgrade baseband option. Now turn the phone off and follow instructions to put the phone in dfu mode and you should be fine.

That is exactly what I have done. Unfortunately, I get the same error. :(

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
So you are only sliding to power off AFTER you get to the final screen in redsn0w?

OK, sorry for my stupidity - you're a genius! The problem was that I did a hard reset instead of sliding to power!(Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!)

I can't believe it but I'm FINALLY on 05.13.04!

However, I'm still not unlocked even after downgrading to 05.13.04 - I get 'Searching...' and then it turns into 'No Service'.
As you wrote, I removed ultrasn0w + ultrasn0w fixer and reinstalled them and also tried reinstalling Mobile Substrate( following insturctions: http://www.unlockboot.com/2012/06/how-to-fix-no-signal-after-downgrading.html)

Do you have any idea what I can do now?

Last edited:

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
So you have removed and then reinstalled mobile substrate too?

Just to make sure, maybe remove mobile substrate (that should also remove substrate safe mode I believe) , ultrasn0w and ultrasn0w fixer in cydia and then reboot. Next use redsn0w to boot untethered and then open cydia and re-install ultras0w (should automatically install mobile substrate and sub safe mode too) and finally ultras0w fixer for 6.x.
Once done, reboot again and once untethered hopefully everything should work.

Note that 3G should prob be turned on in settings and that it can take 4 minutes or so for the signal to come in after inserting a new SIM for the first time.

Is the "carrier" tab coming up under settings when you insert the sim?
Can you confirm that the SIM in question works (using a different phone)?

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
So you have removed and then reinstalled mobile substrate too?

Just to make sure, maybe remove mobile substrate (that should also remove substrate safe mode I believe) , ultrasn0w and ultrasn0w fixer in cydia and then reboot. Next use redsn0w to boot untethered and then open cydia and re-install ultras0w (should automatically install mobile substrate and sub safe mode too) and finally ultras0w fixer for 6.x.
Once done, reboot again and once untethered hopefully everything should work.

Note that 3G should prob be turned on in settings and that it can take 4 minutes or so for the signal to come in after inserting a new SIM for the first time.

Is the "carrier" tab coming up under settings when you insert the sim?
Can you confirm that the SIM in question works (using a different phone)?

OK, I followed all your instructions: removed then reboot then install then reboot. Unfortunately I still get 'No Signal'.

3G is on, waited more than 4 minuts. I can confirm this SIM works on my other iphone.

Under Carrier tab I have Automatic set to ON. If I choose Off it's searching but still No Service.

I should note that I'm using redsn0w Just Boot option when rebooting, and this iphone is tethered.

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
turn 3g off, sometimes it interferes.

also try ejecting and reinserting SIM

Also if it is untethered you don't need to use just boot

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
turn 3g off, sometimes it interferes.

also try ejecting and reinserting SIM

Also if it is untethered you don't need to use just boot

Tried it several times - didn't help. And I meant to write that this phone is tethered.

Any ideas what I may try now?

Last edited:

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Do you know the original carrier of the phone? Have you seen it working with a SIM before?

Is it possible the phone has reception problems and/or the antenna flex cable become detached?

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Do you know the original carrier of the phone? Have you seen it working with a SIM before?

Is it possible the phone has reception problems and/or the antenna flex cable become detached?

I have jailbroken this phone three days ago to 4.1 and installed ultrasn0w on it and using this SIM I was able to unlock it: I was able to send SMS and to make phone calls. The reception wasn't great, but it did work.

Currently running 6.0.1 unlock doesn't work with the same SIM card, as I mentioned all the things I have tried.

The original carrier was a German one, I think T-Mobile, but I'm not sure.

I don't think there is antenna flex cable detached - but I can't confirm this, I can only restate the fact that under 4.1 I got it to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.