Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:39 AM   #1
bushman4
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
New Apple 12W USB Power Adaptor charges iPhone 5 in 3/4 the time

The new 12 W USB that comes with the Ipad 4 will charge your Iphone5 in 3/4 the time of the Iphone5 charger. Excellent $19 investment if charging your Iphone5 quickly is needed.

Last edited by bushman4; Nov 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
bushman4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:38 AM   #2
dieburnbot
macrumors 6502a
 
dieburnbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CA
Do you think the extra current could damage the iPhone battery?
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus 128GB SilveriPhone 5 64GB WhiteiPhone 4S 64GB WhiteiPad 3rd Gen 64GB AT&T BlackiPhone 4 32GB BlackiPhone 3G 8GB
dieburnbot is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:31 AM   #3
bushman4
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Apple site says usable with IPHONE5
bushman4 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:30 AM   #4
solandvinnie
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Lol

If you say so buddy.

Pigs can fly too.
solandvinnie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:22 AM   #5
chrfr
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by solandvinnie View Post
Lol

If you say so buddy.

Pigs can fly too.
Even the 10W iPad charger would charge the iPhone faster than the stock iPhone charger. It's not going to damage anything as the phone will only draw as much power as it can use.
chrfr is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:29 AM   #6
kthnxshwn
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by solandvinnie View Post
Lol

If you say so buddy.

Pigs can fly too.
The amount of smugness from this is astounding because you're just blatantly wrong. It makes you look idiotic.
kthnxshwn is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:43 AM   #7
InfinitiG
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
sorry but the iphone can accept only 5W .... dream on
__________________
2014 MBP 15' 2.2/256/16
iPhone 6 128
InfinitiG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:11 AM   #8
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
sorry but the iphone can accept only 5W .... dream on
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...de=3c#overview
sorry bro
tymaster50 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:24 AM   #9
hnic247
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lindenwold, Nj
I use a iPad charger for my iphone everyday it's charges way faster than a regular charger #facts
hnic247 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:56 AM   #10
mattroman246
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upstate NY
I used to use mine with my 4s but I'm so paranoid with the 5 that I just use the stock charger
__________________
13" Macbook Pro, 2.3 GHZ i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD
16 GB Space Grey iPhone 6
64 GB iPad Air 2 WiFi
Game Center ID: matthewdanger
mattroman246 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:01 PM   #11
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603
 
nuckinfutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle Earth
Been charging my iPhones with my iPad charger for years. It's much faster.

I don't even know where my 5W chargers are.
nuckinfutz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:31 PM   #12
Archer1440
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
If only factual posts were made here, there would only be half the posts.

The iPhone 5 can only draw a bit over 5 watts no matter what the capacity of the charger, put an in-line meter on the circuit and prove it for yourself as I have.

The 12W charger (I have two) DOES charge the iPad 3 faster, but only by 45 minutes or so. It can draw up to 13W.

The 12W charger stays a lot cooler than the 5W on the iPhone and the 10W on an iPad. This should translate to a longer service life. So there's no reason not to use the 12W on the iPhone- but it won't charge faster.
Archer1440 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:14 PM   #13
boomhower
macrumors 65816
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Been charging my iPhones with my iPad charger for years. It's much faster.

I don't even know where my 5W chargers are.
Same here.
__________________
2013 Macbook Pro 13 Retina iPad Air 2 iPhone 6 Gen 3 Apple TV
boomhower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:42 PM   #14
serkan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Turkey
I bought my device from US and I use it on Turkey with adaptor.Do you think it will hurt the battery ? I just applied a cheap a.s adaptor and the normal apple charges connected to it .Will it hurt my battery ?
serkan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:44 PM   #15
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020
 
gmanist1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
If only factual posts were made here, there would only be half the posts.

The iPhone 5 can only draw a bit over 5 watts no matter what the capacity of the charger, put an in-line meter on the circuit and prove it for yourself as I have.

The 12W charger (I have two) DOES charge the iPad 3 faster, but only by 45 minutes or so. It can draw up to 13W.

The 12W charger stays a lot cooler than the 5W on the iPhone and the 10W on an iPad. This should translate to a longer service life. So there's no reason not to use the 12W on the iPhone- but it won't charge faster.
This. It only draws 5W from the 10 and 12W charger, so it doesn't charge it any faster.
gmanist1000 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:18 PM   #16
syd430
Guest
 
So many contradictory posts. Can anyone say definitively whether or not the iphone 5 is able to draw more than 5w?

So many people seem to be sure that their iphone is charging faster.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:25 PM   #17
InfinitiG
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Not the brightest tool in the shed are you
InfinitiG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:30 PM   #18
PNutts
macrumors 601
 
PNutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
So many contradictory posts. Can anyone say definitively whether or not the iphone 5 is able to draw more than 5w?

So many people seem to be sure that their iphone is charging faster.
An Internet search shows the same contradictions. My best advice is to find a post from someone that sounds like they know what they're talking about. Here's one I just found that sounds lucid.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:56 PM   #19
Radiating
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
FYI I just measured it using a watt and amp meter. The iPhone 5 charger charges using 6 watts and 0.08 amps. The iPad 10w charger charges using 10 watts and 0.8 amps.

This means it is a FACT that the iPad charger charges the phone with more wattage.

What's interesting too is that when I plugged a USB extension cable to the lightning cable both the ipad and iphone charger charged using only 0.05 amps and 3 watts.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:36 PM   #20
Kadman
macrumors 65816
 
Kadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
This. It only draws 5W from the 10 and 12W charger, so it doesn't charge it any faster.
Incorrect. I've timed charging from both chargers and the iPhone (this was true of my 4, 4S, and now 5) all charge faster from my iPad charger than they they do from the iPhone charger. Somewhere along the line, someone with pull around here (likely measured in number of posts) claimed that it wouldn't charge any faster and the lemmings just crowed it as truth. I can tell you from testing that the "iPad class" chargers do charge the iPhone significantly faster.
Kadman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:45 PM   #21
bushman4
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadman View Post
Incorrect. I've timed charging from both chargers and the iPhone (this was true of my 4, 4S, and now 5) all charge faster from my iPad charger than they they do from the iPhone charger. Somewhere along the line, someone with pull around here (likely measured in number of posts) claimed that it wouldn't charge any faster and the lemmings just crowed it as truth. I can tell you from testing that the "iPad class" chargers do charge the iPhone significantly faster.
Fact is Fact. Anyone that owns a 12w charger use it on your Iphone5 and let us know. I've compared the charging times and I can say from actual test it only tales 3/4 the time that the 5w charger takes to charge the Iphone5.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:20 PM   #22
hNicolas
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
FACT. The iPad 10 and 12 watt chargers do charge the iPhone faster. I have tried it with 4S and 5.

Those of you who claim otherwise... Prove it, with real life testing not with your personal interpretation of specifications.

Post a time lapse video of your claims showing that all chargers charge at the same rate lol. Otherwise keep quiet.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB - iPhone 4S 32GB - 24" iMac 2.8 GHz - iPad LTE 32GB - iPhone 3GS - iPhone 3G - iPod Touch - Mac Mini 09
hNicolas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:37 PM   #23
Radiating
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hNicolas View Post
FACT. The iPad 10 and 12 watt chargers do charge the iPhone faster. I have tried it with 4S and 5.

Those of you who claim otherwise... Prove it, with real life testing not with your personal interpretation of specifications.

Post a time lapse video of your claims showing that all chargers charge at the same rate lol. Otherwise keep quiet.
In case anyone had any doubts as to the iPad charger charging faster:





Again though I will stress that they both charge at the SAME rate if you plug in a NON-APPLE charging cable. This was also proven in the same test.
Radiating is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:45 PM   #24
Radio
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthnxshwn View Post
The amount of smugness from this is astounding because you're just blatantly wrong. It makes you look idiotic.
Lol this guy been living under a rock?!

Who didn't use their spare iPad 3 charger to use on the iPhone ?!

I mean come on who doesn't have at least two of these?!
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:05 AM   #25
dieburnbot
macrumors 6502a
 
dieburnbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz23 View Post
no tax...nice job man wish I could do the same. Keep on saving money on your gadgets so you can pour $$$$ into the m5.
If you aren't able to get a corporate discount, there is always Target. I use a RedCard and save 5% and get free shipping better than nothing. I got my lightning to usb cable almost tax free lol.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus 128GB SilveriPhone 5 64GB WhiteiPhone 4S 64GB WhiteiPad 3rd Gen 64GB AT&T BlackiPhone 4 32GB BlackiPhone 3G 8GB
dieburnbot is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Apple bringing back the 10W USB Power Adaptor with the Retina iPad Mini Ryox iPad 7 Oct 23, 2013 10:44 AM
All iPads: 12W USB Charger In Apple Stores? AndersOlson iPad 1 Nov 2, 2012 04:16 PM
All iPads: Apple 12W USB Power Adapter deaglecat iPad 4 Nov 2, 2012 02:39 PM
Does iPad 4 come with 12w USB Power Adapter? insimbi iPad 7 Oct 27, 2012 10:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC