Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
We have a lexmark 1300 series printer that is have hooked up to a PC. Recently however the PC wont communicate with the printer, though when I plug my macbook in it works perfectly. I'm going to try and connect the printer to wireless if this is possible to see if this fixes the communication error with the PC, but i'm not sure where to begin. How do I do this?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Is your printer WiFi capable?

If not, which is what I'm assuming, I would start by reinstalling the printer drivers (can be found at Lexmark's website or on the disc that came with your printer). Once you get it working on your Windows machine, you can share the printer to any other computers connected to the network (wired or wireless). The only downside to this is that the Windows computer has to be on in order to print from your MacBook.

edit: If your wireless router has a USB port, you may be able to use it that way.

Last edited:

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Is your printer WiFi capable?

If not, which is what I'm assuming, I would start by reinstalling the printer drivers (can be found at Lexmark's website or on the disc that came with your printer). Once you get it working on your Windows machine, you can share the printer to any other computers connected to the network (wired or wireless). The only downside to this is that the Windows computer has to be on in order to print from your MacBook.

edit: If your wireless router has a USB port, you may be able to use it that way.

No it isn't (i had to look at the manual) and I already reinstalled and updated the drivers but this doesn't work on the windows machine. What else can I do to get it to work? Its not a printer problem because it works with my MacBook when plugged into the USB port...

our current router doesn't have a USB port, but if we get a new one soon it probably will

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
No it isn't (i had to look at the manual) and I already reinstalled and updated the drivers but this doesn't work on the windows machine. What else can I do to get it to work? Its not a printer problem because it works with my MacBook when plugged into the USB port...

our current router doesn't have a USB port, but if we get a new one soon it probably will

what version of, er, wah, wah, wah, (just spit it out) Windows are you using? I've had seamless experiences with printers shared via airport express, extreme, and time capsule when using Windows 7. XP has tended to be hit and miss based on the printer.

Moral of the story: Friends don't let friends do windows... :D

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
what version of, er, wah, wah, wah, (just spit it out) Windows are you using? I've had seamless experiences with printers shared via airport express, extreme, and time capsule when using Windows 7. XP has tended to be hit and miss based on the printer.

Moral of the story: Friends don't let friends do windows... :D

windows 7 (and believe me if I had a choice I wouldn't have the computer at all but its the family's. It tends to have strange problems a lot :p)

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Another thing I'd try would be to delete the printer and its settings completely:

Start menu -> Devices and Printers

Qh8sG.png

Then choose your printer from the list and hit 'Remove device'

SiAlI.png

Windows should try to find the drivers automatically next time you plug it in, and setting it up as a new printer might get it to start working again.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
I am having a similar problem, but in reverse. My HP7260 printer is plugged into my wireless router via ethernet. My MacBook Pro running Lion is not able to print wirelessly anymore. It worked fine before I switched out the router for the newer version. (It is the Verizon FIOS Actiontec, hardwired to the Dell desktop, but plugged directly into printer with cable.)

When I try to print from the laptop, it says the printer is not connected.

I checked that System Preferences still show the printer and that sharing is enabled.

Would a simple reboot of the modem/router make a difference?

thanks.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Another thing I'd try would be to delete the printer and its settings completely:

Start menu -> Devices and Printers

Qh8sG.png

Then choose your printer from the list and hit 'Remove device'

SiAlI.png

Windows should try to find the drivers automatically next time you plug it in, and setting it up as a new printer might get it to start working again.

thanks its working again on the PC

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
After an hour on the phone with Verizon tech support, we finally got the printer working on the network again. It required an IP address and a bunch of settings that had to be adjusted.

Thanks for any suggestions though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.