Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I am a full on apple user; MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone, iCloud etc and I just made the move from Hotmail to Gmail today so that I can use IMAP since I had problems with syncing of mail between Mac Mail app and my iPhone, iPad etc.

My question is now that Gmail has default folders (important, starred etc) and all of those emails don't show in my "inbox" on my iPhone but they all show up in Mac Mail. How do I get all the emails to appear in my iPhone inbox?

Secondly, my intent is to still retain the use of my hotmail email address since all of my email contacts know that address. What I did was; import my hotmail to my gmail through the gmail web application and then set up the "check mail from other accounts" to pull email from hotmail into gmail so that I can basically run my hotmail account through gmail. I wanted IMAP functionality so that there is syncronization of mail whether i'm using mail on my macbook, mail on my iPad or mail on my iPhone.

Is this the correct way to set this up so that I am still using hotmail but running it via gmail? When I reply to an email on my phone through this new gmail account, it replies from the gmail account instead of the hotmail account...how do I change that?

Thanks for your help.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
if you go back to gmail and the accounts & import tab, there is an option to reply from the address the email was sent to or use your gmail account only

to see other email labels check the labels tab under settings, you can tell it to show/hide certain ones in imap

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I have "reply from hotmail" selected and that works from Mac mail but not iPhone email.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
"Important" and "Starred" are just labels at Gmail and appear as folders in email clients. Unless you have directed some mail to those labels/folders and removed the "Inbox" label, then they should all be in your Inbox. Anyway, you can see all of the IMAP folders on the iPhone in Mail>Mailboxes>Accounts.

As for "Send As" on the iPhone, I think you might need to have you Gmail account set up as "Exchange" on the iPhone, then visit http://m.google.com/sync and enable it for the device. I've never even tried that so I don't know if it works!

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Been a lot easier simply to have set up the Hotmail account as an Exchange account on your devices. Just sayin :)

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I recreated it as exchange and things work better now.

If I had existing folders in hotmail when I imported to gmail, (those folders still appear via gmail), do those emails
Not appear in my inbox? Doesn't seem like it right now.

I just want one inbox that will show all of my emails, old and new so I can search them.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
"Important" and "Starred" are just labels at Gmail and appear as folders in email clients. Unless you have directed some mail to those labels/folders and removed the "Inbox" label, then they should all be in your Inbox. Anyway, you can see all of the IMAP folders on the iPhone in Mail>Mailboxes>Accounts.

As for "Send As" on the iPhone, I think you might need to have you Gmail account set up as "Exchange" on the iPhone, then visit http://m.google.com/sync and enable it for the device. I've never even tried that so I don't know if it works!

I follow the "labels" thing that gmail does. For example now, I created a new label, went on my iPhone and moved an email from inbox to this new label (folder). It no longer appears in my inbox contrary to what you explained above unless this move removed the inbox label. How can I move the email to this new folder/label but have it still show up in the inbox?

Thanks

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I follow the "labels" thing that gmail does. For example now, I created a new label, went on my iPhone and moved an email from inbox to this new label (folder). It no longer appears in my inbox contrary to what you explained above unless this move removed the inbox label. How can I move the email to this new folder/label but have it still show up in the inbox?

Thanks

That's right..."moving" on the iPhone or any other client will remove the Inbox label. Copying to another folder (which I don't think is possible on the iPhone) will add the label at Gmail. iOS Gmail app has labeling capabilities.

I've got filters set up at Gmail to label emails as they come in. Takes care of most everything.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I figured so. I think I figured out something that'll work. I'll move them to folders on my iPhone and if I need full search capabilities, I can open all mail and search there. Thanks for your input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.