Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
So, I just took apart my entire iPhone with the intentions of replacing it with a white front panel. Only then did I find out that apparently you can't remove the screen from the glass. But I've heard that a couple people have done it. Please please please, is there ANY way to do it? I really don't want to order a really expensive LCD + white panel... if they sell the LCDs and panels separately there must be a way to put on and remove it.

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
Even though I do iPhone repairs, I have yet to actually take apart either my own iPhone 4 or anyone elses to this extent. I've only repaired a shattered battery cover so far.

It is, however to my knowledge simply glued on to a certain extent. If you use this logic and try a heat gun/hair dryer on the front you may be able to soften the glue enough to separate the two pieces.
Please do not take this as a definitive answer as like I said, I have not tested it myself.
Failing that, just purchase a new LCD panel as well. I have these in stock and they are separate so I can only imagine it's possible to glue the two pieces together.

Hope this helps.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I can see this just going wrong in many ways, be careful dude, you do not want to mess up your phone, then Apple will charge you for a replacement.

I can see people changing the back panel, but what's the point of taking the entire ip4 apart just to replace it with a non Apple authorized part, then if you have to take it to Apple for a replacement, they will not replace it.

Hence why I never sent my 3GS or MacBook to

http://www.colorwarepc.com/

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
If he replaces the front and it looks fine but then something else doesn't work, I'd say 99% that Apple WILL take it back and replace it. But usually only if the fault lies somewhere else and they don't know that he replaced the front.

I've done this a number of times for friends and Apple has always replaced their phones.

Regardless of this, he's already willing to try it so I'm sure he's aware of the risks involved in even opening the phone. The moment he removed the bottom screws he technically voided his warranty.

As long as you're careful you should be fine.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
If it's anything like the original iPhone, it's a bit-of-a-witch to get the glass off the digitizer (don't forget that layer between the glass and the LCD!).

I buy busted iPhone 2Gs for family members and used to remove the glass very painstakingly. Lots of shards all over the place, takes at least half an hour to pry it all off and clean it. And you pray you don't damage the digitizer, much less the LCD underneath it.

Fun times! ;)

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I know its a push, but just wait for the actual real white iPhone 4 to come out. You won't ruin your black one and then you'll have 2 phones instead of a white one and a ruined one.

Just sayin'..

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
Having spoken to a friend who does repairs as well, he clarified to me that you cannot separate the LCD from the digitizer. It's essentially the same as the old 2G LCD/Digitizer combo. They are a sealed unit.

Do what ngonerogwu did and buy a complete front. Simples.

gendroni

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
I'm going in...

Gents,

I ordered an iphone 4 replacement glass thinking it was like the 3G/3GS where you can replace just the glass (or LCD)... learned the hard way thats not the case after taking the whole thing apart. In any case, I ordered the full assembly today and kept the glass. Once I replace the assembly on my friends phone, I am going to try and remove the LCD from the broken glass screen and see if I can't use it with the replacement screen I have... I think it will take me a while, but with a hair dryer, a little goo-gone and a sharp object i think i can very carefully make it work. That way the next friend that approaches me for a broken screen, I can turn that roughly $80 for parts into pure profit. :)

Wish me luck, should start the operation in 2-5 business days lol.

Speedyf

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
broken glass

So Gendroni any luck so far ?

I ordered a white glass for $8 and just received it today. It is clear that it is thinner than the original.

But if you can't separate the glass from the digitizer what is the use of selling separate glasses ?

As I dropped my phone and just the glass is cracked?

Any other options as I am not willing to take apart the whole phone to find out is isn't going to work.

Thnx

hAwKeM

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
Separate lcd from glass on iPod or iPhone 4

a year later....were you able to figure out how to separate the lcd from the glass....it makes no sense that they sell both separately if you weren't able to do something with them. thanks

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
a year later....were you able to figure out how to separate the lcd from the glass....it makes no sense that they sell both separately if you weren't able to do something with them. thanks

First off, when you say "they" sell them, they is not apple. They are chinees knock offs sold by people looking to make a buck. And with thousands of people like you out there that fail to do the prior research, they make slot of money and they did nothing wrong. They sold you the part, not their fault you had no clue how the phone is put together.

So, can you seperate the LCD? Yes, but it is very risky!!!! You can
Crack the original glass, or the LCD, or you could damage the LCD with too much heat..

To do it right you need a hot air rework station so you can control the heat temp..

It is also going to take a lot of time. Is it worth it NO!! Even if you do succed, you will then have to find a way to affix the LCD to the new glass since there is nothing to hold it in place otherwise. So much can go wrong that you might as well buy the white assembly with the LCD. You can get them for under $200. I promise if you attempt this you will be sorry......

taebin

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
It is possible to separate the digitizer and LCD

Basically, it is possible to separate the digitizer (touchscreen) from the LCD -
but there are a few issues that need to be addressed if you can successfully remove the parts.

How will you put it back together?
Even if you can put it back together, you will need the film(s) that sit in-between the digitizer and lcd.
What about dust?

We currently have about a 70% success rate for removing the lcd from the digitizer - and putting it back together. But, there is still specks of dust - which we are slowly removing.

This process isn't something that most consumers would be able to afford, but if you're a repair center with cracked digitizers and working lcds sitting around collecting dust, why not give it a try.

bashtanii

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
can you tell us how you did it?

can you please tell us how you remove the lcd with 70% succes?

----------

how can you do the removing?
can you pleas epost a video or write a tutotial?

Basically, it is possible to separate the digitizer (touchscreen) from the LCD -
but there are a few issues that need to be addressed if you can successfully remove the parts.

How will you put it back together?
Even if you can put it back together, you will need the film(s) that sit in-between the digitizer and lcd.
What about dust?

We currently have about a 70% success rate for removing the lcd from the digitizer - and putting it back together. But, there is still specks of dust - which we are slowly removing.

This process isn't something that most consumers would be able to afford, but if you're a repair center with cracked digitizers and working lcds sitting around collecting dust, why not give it a try.

taebin

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
can you please tell us how you remove the lcd with 70% succes?

----------

how can you do the removing?
can you pleas epost a video or write a tutotial?

Sorry for the late reply - I just noticed that you asked a question.

Also, since the last post, we have raised the success rate. Current failure rate (this includes dead pixels, damaged lcds, and other issues) is 6 to 7%.

I posted youtube videos - showing how we take apart the lcd and digitizer, and test the results.

Here's a link to Youtube: http://youtu.be/MyU4E50QX5c

If you have any questions, please ask!

----------

Here's the link: http://youtu.be/MyU4E50QX5c

Also, sorry for the late reply!

f3ua

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
Sorry for the late reply - I just noticed that you asked a question.

Also, since the last post, we have raised the success rate. Current failure rate (this includes dead pixels, damaged lcds, and other issues) is 6 to 7%.

I posted youtube videos - showing how we take apart the lcd and digitizer, and test the results.

Here's a link to Youtube: http://youtu.be/MyU4E50QX5c

If you have any questions, please ask!

----------

Here's the link: http://youtu.be/MyU4E50QX5c

Also, sorry for the late reply!

Hi,
very interested to your video, because I tried several methods without success to do this activity. Which type of machine did you use to do this job?

And how about attach a new digitizer?

Thanks in advance

taebin

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Hi,
very interested to your video, because I tried several methods without success to do this activity. Which type of machine did you use to do this job?

And how about attach a new digitizer?

Thanks in advance

We manufacture the machines. We call it the Touch Panel Separator or TPS for short.

To re-assemble the digitizer to the LCD - we use another machine to attach and fuse. There are several steps needed from start to finish, but those are for our clients only.
This type of service isn't for everyone, but more for repair stores.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
The wife has a old iphone 4 verizon with a cracked glass, its works fine, just busted up glass.

Its been sitting in her dresser for a year or so, figure if the parts are cheap enough i would replace the screen. Whats the best place to buy from?

I am pretty good with fixing stuff like this usually, but i am willing to take the loss if i mess it up. Its all fun to me anyway :)

Thanks!

mopagh

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2013
We manufacture the machines. We call it the Touch Panel Separator or TPS for short.

To re-assemble the digitizer to the LCD - we use another machine to attach and fuse. There are several steps needed from start to finish, but those are for our clients only.
This type of service isn't for everyone, but more for repair stores.

Hey taebin

Im a partner in a repair-shop in Denmark and could be interested in doing business with you. please write me on: morten@eventcreation.dk

monsterdustin1

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2013
results too inconsistant

our repair chain tried to do this. doing the removal consistently produced in-consistent results. You need special glue, a hot pad and hope you don't get air bubbles under it.

we just end up selling the broken LCD assemblies back to another company who pays like $60-$70 if it has a good LCD and call it a day.

kiddkilljoy

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
AZ
I noticed your thread on macrumors when I was searching for a solution to repairing my iPhone 4 the other day and wanted to get your opinion on whether I should attempt the same thing that you had posted saying that you had gone in to Apple and told them the situation and they replaced the device.
I planned on doing this after reading that and have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow, but i'm not too sure whether the venture will be nothing more than a waste of time or not since my device is past warranty, screen is shattered, back glass shattered, and battery connector ribbon is ripped.
Any insight?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.