Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I finally managed to get a replacement iPhone from apple due to a light leak and got one which was perfect. However after a couple of days usage I took my phone out last night and could see light shining through the edge of the bezel. It's about an inch long down the left hand side of the phone next to the screen. What I dont understand is this phone was perfect when I received it and this problem didn't exist. I shall post some pictures when I get home but this is my 3rd iPhone 5. It's bit worrying since I baby this thing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 526
Last edited:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I finally managed to get a replacement iPhone from apple due to a light leak and got one which was perfect. However after a couple of days usage I took my phone out last night and could see light shining through the edge of the bezel. It's about an inch long down the left hand side of the phone next to the screen. What I dont understand is this phone was perfect when I received it and this problem didn't exist. I shall post some pictures when I get home but this is my 3rd iPhone 5. It's bit worrying since I baby this thing.

Hoyboy, sorry to hear about your troubles. It does seem like this newly designed model is riddled with issues like this. I don't remember the 4 having half these issues - most of which were ironed out when the 4S was released.

The route I'm taking is to hold off until the 5S comes out next year and see if these many issues are fixed or if they are inherent to a overall bad design (mainly the result of going much to thin with the design).

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Hi sedrick. Ye I wish I done what you did now. As much as it is an amazing bit of kit it seems every phone I get has problems. I would have just returned the phone completely and stayed with my iPhone 4 but I have already sold it :(. Oh we'll lesson learned. What is weird is I have searched the Internet and no one else seems to have this kind of light leak.

karthik.k

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
San Francisco

I think this is more of a light leak issue, which was common in the first set of iPhone 5s produced. When was your device manufactured? It would be on the iPhone 5's box.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
It says week 39. All the iPhone 5 I have had have had light leak problems but this seems to be the worse so far

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
When I see the title "iPhone 5 glass coming away from bezel," I actually expect to see the glass coming away from bezel.

The thing is when I first got it there was no problem at all. So the problems actually happened by normal use. As its so close to the screen as well all kinds of rubbish can get inside. Personally I find this more annoying than the chips and scratches out the box

----------

Thats a problem? Sheesh. Can barely see it. Seems like a first world problem

The point is that has happened after 2 days of use so what's it gonna be like after having it a year

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
So you'd rather have obvious chips and scratches out of the box than difficult to see light leak? I've afraid you're the only one.

Chips and scratches are inevitable. The light leak thing shouldn't happen with normal use

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
No, they're not, unless you happen to get one with defective anodized coating. Many of us still have launch day iPhone 5 that are flawless to this day.

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to say. I'm not talking about defective anodised coating. I'm talking about normal wear and tear. Over the use of a smartphones life it is normal to get chips and scratches. It is however not normal for there to be a gap between the glass so that dust and all other kinds of stuff can get inside and make things worse. Preferably id prefer a device with no light leaks or scuffs but it appears in my experience I'm gonna have to go through at least 5 phones this generation to get something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.