Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
...runs all the same apps, looks great, and is easier to take with you.

2 of the 3 I agree with but it does not look great turned on and that is why I sent mine straight back to apple. It is a great device for someone to get into an ipad for less, or a great gift for the kids. I wanted to like mine but couldn't. In my opinion, when it is easier to read the text on the display of an iPhone over a device that is almost 8", that is not acceptable to me. To each their own and this is just my opinion after owning one. If you love the device I am happy for you and hope you get enjoyment from it. I will buy a mini again when it gets the specs I want.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
You can buy a ipad 3.1 at any retailer across the United States. It's almost impossible to pick up a mini right now. The mini is amazing and everyone knows it.

Agreed. I was at the right place at right time is how I got the Mini. My friends keep checking but a no go so far. They just want wifi 16gb.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
2 of the 3 I agree with but it does not look great turned on and that is why I sent mine straight back to apple. It is a great device for someone to get into an ipad for less, or a great gift for the kids. I wanted to like mine but couldn't. In my opinion, when it is easier to read the text on the display of an iPhone over a device that is almost 8", that is not acceptable to me. To each their own and this is just my opinion after owning one. If you love the device I am happy for you and hope you get enjoyment from it. I will buy a mini again when it gets the specs I want.

It sounds like you got a bad display.

I actually traded in my iPhone 4 for a Mini and find viewing books, websites, and photos to be a much better experience.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
Battery life is great! Definitely the best Entry level device apple makes for someone who doesn't care so much about viewing quality

target demographic :D

I care about viewing quality.

I have one.

I love it.

However, I don't care at all about numbers and only care about real life performance. You could tell me it's 1 ppi and I wouldn't care. It looks great. Just watched Glee on it last night while sitting around with nothing to do..

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Why would you do that? I though you said the mini was perfect as it is. ;)

Funny how everyone who says the Mini's display looks great can't wait for the retina version. It's not just the resolution, it's washed out, ugly.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The Nexus 7 has 216 PPI whereas the iPad mini has 163 PPI

who's trolling whom?

do you even know what trolling is?

If google came out with a 163 PPI tablet, all of the apple fanatics would be making fun of its awful screen. but they easily forgive the mini's craptastic screen
Quoted for truth. I don't think the minis screen is crap at all but it's amazing to see how people are so dismissive over things when it comes to apple, but if a competitor where to do the same thing, they'd be laughing their ass off. It's bad if anyone else does it, but it's ok of apple does:

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Funny how everyone who says the Mini's display looks great can't wait for the retina version. It's not just the resolution, it's washed out, ugly.

agreed, it's more than washed out. it looks hazy similar to that of the cheapo netbooks. Lenovo switched suppliers mid-production on their Lenovo X120e ultraportable 11.5" laptop. when they made the switch, the screens were coming out hazy. i see the same type of thing with the iPad Mini. many customers who are buying the iPad Mini have never owned an iPad before. so their lack of experience results in acceptance as the normal.

as you said it's not about Retina vs Non-Retina. it's about actual screen quality. the screen quality on the iPad 2 was better despite the lower PPI

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
many customers who are buying the iPad Mini have never owned an iPad before. so their lack of experience results in acceptance as the normal.

Ah, yes. 'many customers' can't just like the mini screen, they simply 'lack experience', experience you have, of course. If they had your experience, assuming that's possible, they'd hate the mini screen, too. :rolleyes:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I thought the thread was to point out flaws of the MINI other than the screen.

My flaw is quite unique because it is on the back side. There is some kind of adhesive hereby I cannot let go or put it down, kind of like crazy glue. Go figure! :D

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Ah, yes. 'many customers' can't just like the mini screen, they simply 'lack experience', experience you have, of course. If they had your experience, assuming that's possible, they'd hate the mini screen, too. :rolleyes:

thanks for selectively quoting my post, taking one snippet out of context. don't worry, i won't do the same to you.

being sarcastic by the way doesn't add value when one can point to the iPad 3 screen flaws as being representative of the point i was trying to make. the same situation presents itself with the iPad Mini.

as far as my experience that you mock - i have owned the iPad 2, 3, and my iPad 4 is coming on Friday. one cannot compare the iPad 3/4 to the iPad Mini since the discussion is not about Retina vs Non-Retina. the discussion is strictly about the iPad Mini's screen quality. out of all of the iPads that i have owned, the iPad Mini has the worst screen quality by far regardless of the PPI.

the point i made was that if i didn't know any better i would think that this is the normal. as i said before, the Lenovo X120e screen supplier switched mid-way in production, and produced hazy screens. if i didn't stumble upon it accidentally on the forums to see the comparison pictures i wouldn't have known any better and would just continue accepting the current quality thinking that is what you get for a $400 netbook with a 11.5" screen. however i realized i was getting inferior quality for the same price that others were getting better quality.

the same could be the case for the iPad Mini. this new screen technology could be producing many Minis with hazy screens.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
everyone who hasn't actually used the screen

apple will report the sales numbers, but they won't report the return numbers

The screen is fine for $329 with the build quality and the fact that it does everything the retina does. You can pay $500 for a 16gb almost portable tablet of $529 for a 64gb portable tablet that does all the exact same things.

----------

Agreed. I was at the right place at right time is how I got the Mini. My friends keep checking but a no go so far. They just want wifi 16gb.

I wanted the 16gb for my wife and couldn't find one so I got her a 64gb. Even at 64gb its still cheap.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
One single mentioning of the word retina and ipad mini together in a sentence brings out all the hating degenerates.

We all know the retina screen is astonishingly great. But how about putting down the haterade and allow yourself to see how an ipad mini is superior to an ipad 9.7" due to the size, weight, and price? Sure it doesn't have a retina and I get that but there's no need for hyperboles such as, the screen is so washed out, it's so crap, it's beyond unusable. That's all a BS.

The ipad mini is a great device; what makes the ipad 2 sell millions and millions, the same sauce is inside the mini but at another higher level (size, design, weight, price). It's too bad you bought an ipad retina and can't afford a mini or you can't afford an ipad retina and have to resort to a mini. But buying both seems like a waste of money. Either you want mobility and ease of use while holding or you just want a larger retina screen. Just sell what you got when the retina mini comes out! No problems!

These are all commodity toys. You either want to spend money or you don't on these toys. But most of you haters just feel you need to bring the negativity to those that made a wise decision to choose a mini over the retina ipad. For most people the lack of retina is not going to convince them to not buy the ipad mini.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Immensely better your ass! I have both and that is just absolute BS! If you look at numbers only then YES, but in actual use is just not so....

The 7" Nook HD that has better specs than the Nexus 7 for the display still has its share of problems in portrait mode with web pages. Just checked one out today.

Neither are Apple ecosystem so I don't know why the android tablets are mentioned unless one just wants a small device with better specs for the display.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
i have owned the iPad 2, 3, and my iPad 4 is coming on Friday. one cannot compare the iPad 3/4 to the iPad Mini since the discussion is not about Retina vs Non-Retina. the discussion is strictly about the iPad Mini's screen quality. out of all of the iPads that i have owned, the iPad Mini has the worst screen quality by far regardless of the PPI.

It's been repeated over and over, but some people still do not understand it isn't all about retina and ppi. As you said iPad 2 is fine, other non-retina devices are fine. Not all of us can delude ourselves into believing the Mini is acceptable, because it isn't.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I walked into two best buys today. Completely out of stock on all iPad minis. Including 64GB options. In the cage sits a huge stock of 16GB and up iPad 4s.

The other day I saw 7 64GB iPad minis. Today there are none.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Since the guy is apparently using his iPad to take low light photos and panoramic photos, we'll have to take his assessment of iPad flaws with a grain of salt.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
It's been repeated over and over, but some people still do not understand it isn't all about retina and ppi. As you said iPad 2 is fine, other non-retina devices are fine. Not all of us can delude ourselves into believing the Mini is acceptable, because it isn't.

Yep, some people read what they want to read.

I think the bad screen quality (haze) is due to the anti-reflective coating that Apple said they have put into the iPad Mini so it is usable outside. I just think they overdid it

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I walked into two best buys today. Completely out of stock on all iPad minis. Including 64GB options. In the cage sits a huge stock of 16GB and up iPad 4s.

The other day I saw 7 64GB iPad minis. Today there are none.

The Mini must be Awesome man! congrats, you are so lucky to own one!

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011

Not all of us have astronomically high standards. These screens were perfectly acceptable 7 months ago.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I unloaded 2 iPads (ipad 2 and ipad 3) and got the LTE mini. I couldn't be happier. I e used the retina screen on the ipad, I've had the retina screens on iPhone 4 and 4S, and I have a retina screen on my iPhone 5. The retina screen is nice but its not the end-all-be-all of what a tablet is. I don't miss the larger, retina equipped ipad 3 at all.

I don't know what you "retina snobs" are getting hung up on. Is it because the Mini screen only looks great instead of fantastic? Is it because the Mini's A5 processor is only pretty fast instead of super fast? Is it because you can't shoot your stupid panarama photos that no one wants to look at anyway on the Mini? Please tell me. I read all this nauseating whinning on so many of these threads but I still can't figure out what the real problem is.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Not all of us have astronomically high standards. These screens were perfectly acceptable 7 months ago.

Low quality screens were perfectly acceptable? Don't think so.
(Again, no one reads the threads before commenting. It is not all about retina).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.