Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:50 AM   #1
QMdude
macrumors member

Unlocking iPhone 3GS for overseas use

Hello everyone,

I have used Redsn0w to unlock and jailbreak many iphone 2G's and 3G's, but I am currently planning to unlock a 3GS. My 2G and 3G iPhones unlocked successfully and worked with AT&T MVNOs and T-Mobile, so I figured everything was fine.

I went overseas (Turkey and Pakistan) and tried using a Ufone and Mobilink (Pakistani carriers) SIMs, but had no luck. The phone just showed one bar and no carrier name, nor did it say "no signal". I want to unlock my 3GS such that it can work with these carriers, as well as Telenor, but I am not sure if there is a separate procedure one must go through. Any advice?

Information on mobile carriers in Pakistan and frequency bands:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rs_in_Pakistan
QMdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Garen
macrumors member

The 3GS is old and you should be able to unlock it from AT&T as I did 2 weeks a go of course if you are US based and AT&T customer. I read you can also buy a new IMEI from Ebay and that will unlock it.

Garen
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:27 PM   #3
jmunlocks
macrumors newbie

You can factory unlock your iPhone through us, jmunlocks.com
jmunlocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:51 AM   #4
SenseiPhone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMdude View Post
Hello everyone,

I have used Redsn0w to unlock and jailbreak many iphone 2G's and 3G's, but I am currently planning to unlock a 3GS. My 2G and 3G iPhones unlocked successfully and worked with AT&T MVNOs and T-Mobile, so I figured everything was fine.
Simply use permanent iPhone unlock service, ultrasn0w not useful as it was.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:48 PM   #5
QMdude
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunlocks View Post
You can factory unlock your iPhone through us, jmunlocks.com

What option would I select if I want it to work for a carrier in Pakistan? Currently I have a US purchased 3GS

----------

Any way to do it myself, instead of paying for it to be unlocked? What advantages are there to the IMEI based vs software based?

Does anyone know the particular reason why my current method did not work the last time I tried it?
QMdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone