Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keypox

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
reading through the thread seems to be alot of confusing on sprint iphone 4s.

Is there a way to do it?

gevey seems to be the best way? I would like to permanent unlock but can't find one?

Last edited:

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
They didn't work, part of the problem was that I had to do a complete network reset and right now I got fed up and switched to tmobile since they began to pick up 3G in my area (South Florida), but seriously ST offers better reception than Tmobile. I long since orders another SIM card via mail from ST and will most likely be porting my number back to ST soon.

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
reading through the thread seems to be alot of confusing on sprint iphone 4s.

Is there a way to do it?
gevey seems to be the best way? I would like to permanent unlock but can't find one?

I'm on a Sprint iPhone 4S right now using Straight Talk on AT&T. It works fantastic. Your Sprint iPhone 4S must be on 5.1.1 however, jailbroken, and with a Geavey CDMA SIM to work.

----------

This is the bible on the subject:
http://www.idevcare.com/fully-unlock-cdma-iphone

Everything you need to know to fully unlock a Sprint or Verizon iPhone 4S so they will work in the US on GSM carriers.

keypox

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
I'm on a Sprint iPhone 4S right now using Straight Talk on AT&T. It works fantastic. Your Sprint iPhone 4S must be on 5.1.1 however, jailbroken, and with a Geavey CDMA SIM to work.

----------

This is the bible on the subject:
http://www.idevcare.com/fully-unlock-cdma-iphone

Everything you need to know to fully unlock a Sprint or Verizon iPhone 4S so they will work in the US on GSM carriers.

thanks man I got a gevey on the way from ebay for 7.95... hope its real. Going to get the ST sim kit from walmart so I can return if i have to lol.

BobbyD13

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
Thank God for these forums...I'm not the savviest with this stuff but I have been searching the net for some information. My kids want iphones for Christmas. Regardless of what was posted in this thread some pages back, I don't think an ATT contract for a family plan is the way to go. First, the two-year contract is ridiculous. Second, the bill includes 20-22% worth of "fees and taxes" which the sales staff freely admits but quickly (as they're instructed) throw their hands up and blame "the government"..."there's nothing we can do, call your Congressman"!! Interestingly, I have been on ST and VM and both only have a GOVERNMENT MANDATED $1, 911 fee and State Sales tax (6%). Otherwise, the difference is ATT (and Verizon's) fleecing of their customers!!! With the voice, msg, data, It is crazy expensive, EVEN WITH my employer's "discount". So, if nothing more than out of principle, I want to avoid the contract carriers. I plan to get either an unlocked (possibly factory) or ATT iphone (ebay/craigslist, etc) 4s and get a BYOP SIM card from ST. Any issues with that?? I have read of an MMS issue but is that applicable to the unlocked or ATT locked phones on ATT network through ST. I'm sorry for the newbie question, I HAVE read through many a post so I am not just posting blindly. Just really want to make their Christmas without succuming to a raping by ATT!!

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
I did not read through all the pages (To long)

Does anybody have any personal experience with ST throttling or even disconnecting their service in this thread? It seems to be rumors and not first hand experience.

This is the only reason holding me back from switching over. That 100mb a day is something crazy! Thats another thing.....do people exceed 100MB and have any issues?

Last edited:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
The mms issue is for both locked and unlocked iPhones.

Thank God for these forums...I'm not the savviest with this stuff but I have been searching the net for some information. My kids want iphones for Christmas. Regardless of what was posted in this thread some pages back, I don't think an ATT contract for a family plan is the way to go. First, the two-year contract is ridiculous. Second, the bill includes 20-22% worth of "fees and taxes" which the sales staff freely admits but quickly (as they're instructed) throw their hands up and blame "the government"..."there's nothing we can do, call your Congressman"!! Interestingly, I have been on ST and VM and both only have a GOVERNMENT MANDATED $1, 911 fee and State Sales tax (6%). Otherwise, the difference is ATT (and Verizon's) fleecing of their customers!!! With the voice, msg, data, It is crazy expensive, EVEN WITH my employer's "discount". So, if nothing more than out of principle, I want to avoid the contract carriers. I plan to get either an unlocked (possibly factory) or ATT iphone (ebay/craigslist, etc) 4s and get a BYOP SIM card from ST. Any issues with that?? I have read of an MMS issue but is that applicable to the unlocked or ATT locked phones on ATT network through ST. I'm sorry for the newbie question, I HAVE read through many a post so I am not just posting blindly. Just really want to make their Christmas without succuming to a raping by ATT!!

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi

I hope things work out. I'm guessing back when this thread started, a AT&T family plan was cheaper, but now with their new data sharing plans (read scams), things have changed a bit.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I did not read through all the pages (To long)

Does anybody have any personal experience with ST throttling or even disconnecting their service in this thread? It seems to be rumors and not first hand experience.

This is the only reason holding me back from switching over. That 100mb a day is something crazy! Thats another thing.....do people exceed 100MB and have any issues?

Yes. If you are a big data user ST is not for you. 100MB per day 2GB per month seems to be the threshold but many (including myself) have been flagged using less. They don't like data spikes and heavy use will be throttled hard.

PocketAces

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
No voicemail indicator on Straight Talk

Does anyone else have this problem? I have recently ported my number from AT&T to Straight talk and am using an iPhone 4. Everything works great, except I do not get any notification that I have a new voicemail!

I have called straight talk twice, but each time they cannot help and refer me to check the settings on my phone and claim everything is setup fine on their end.

I have also put the SIM in an unlocked iPhone 4s as a test and the same thing happens -- no voicemail notifications.

Other things I have tried that didn't help: Resetting the network settings on the phone.

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
I'm so bleeping angry at mostly Apple right now, and a little at ST. I'm giving my iphone 4 to my mom to use and heard ST was the low cost way to go.

Well now that I've got the number ported over and the phone part working, I'm finding out that it's a royal pain in the ass to get the APN info changed in iOS 6. Looks like my 2 options is to either cut down the Tmo SIM from her old phone to try doing the SIM swap trick, or restoring back to 5.1.1 since I luckily saved the ssh for that before iOS6 came out. Is just going back to 5.1.1 the least hassle thing to do, assuming the restore goes fine?

Cheezed off that I can't even register on the ST forum cuz they don't like my Comcast IP for whatever reason.

(Hmm, didn't know 6 on the iphone 4 could be JBed, guess that's another option, just not sure if I want to JB the phone she's going to use, don't want to overcomplicate it)

Last edited:

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Poo, thought going back to 5.1.1 would fix issue, but I'm still not seeing a button under Network to change the APNs. Guess I need to get a Tmo SIM. What a hassle.

Eh, ok, did the unlockit thing, data seems to be working. As long as it sticks, that should be good enough. Don't know if my mom needs MMS, but since I'm back at 5.1.1, I JBed it to fix that if needed.

Last edited:

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Well now that I've got the number ported over and the phone part working, I'm finding out that it's a royal pain in the ass to get the APN info changed in iOS 6. Looks like my 2 options is to either cut down the Tmo SIM from her old phone to try doing the SIM swap trick, or restoring back to 5.1.1 since I luckily saved the ssh for that before iOS6 came out. Is just going back to 5.1.1 the least hassle thing to do, assuming the restore goes fine?

Changing the APN isn't exactly hard... Just download the straight talk profile from unlockit.co.nz...

That won't allow MMS to work, but that'll certainly get data to work.

SwampPhawks

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah I've done it myself. Me and my wife both have an iPhone 4 that we use with straight talk. Mine is jail broken and hers is not. It's an awesome way to save money. Straight talk sim cards that you would use for the iPhone(the iPhone MUST be an AT&T iPhone because Verizon iPhones do not use sim cards) run off AT&T towers( straight talk androids use sprint towers and all there regular phones run off of Verizon towers. Don't ask me why. ). We don't have a home phone, cable or satellite tv, or Internet so since I jail broke my 4 I turn the personal hotspot on and i play my ps3 online, our laptops, and Netflix. So since we have unlimited plans we have a phone, Internet, and all our entertainment for $45 a month.

----------

And yes I had to fix some apn settings

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Yeah I've done it myself. Me and my wife both have an iPhone 4 that we use with straight talk. Mine is jail broken and hers is not. It's an awesome way to save money. Straight talk sim cards that you would use for the iPhone(the iPhone MUST be an AT&T iPhone because Verizon iPhones do not use sim cards) run off AT&T towers( straight talk androids use sprint towers and all there regular phones run off of Verizon towers. Don't ask me why. ). We don't have a home phone, cable or satellite tv, or Internet so since I jail broke my 4 I turn the personal hotspot on and i play my ps3 online, our laptops, and Netflix. So since we have unlimited plans we have a phone, Internet, and all our entertainment for $45 a month.

----------

And yes I had to fix some apn settings

The speed is fast enough to play online?!?

I have a feeling if I cancel AT&T and go with Straight Talk I'm going to either hate it or love it.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA

I have a feeling if I cancel AT&T and go with Straight Talk I'm going to either hate it or love it.

I would say yes, but tethering is really a no-no.

I have Net10 (ST equivalent) and my speeds are exactly the same as they are with an AT&T sim. 4-6 mbps

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009

All comes down to how much data you use, IMO. I made the jump months ago and haven't regretted it or any of the money I've saved. My monthly cellphone bill was literally cut in HALF. HALF. (and ST is still making profit, so, goes to show you how jacked up AT&T, TMo, Verizon etc. prices are...) Speeds are the same as they use AT&T's towers.

It's simple and easy to switch, that part isn't difficult. I too have heard rumors of people being warned about excess data usage, but, it hasn't happened to me yet. I watch Netflix occasionally, text, stream music a TON...

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
All comes down to how much data you use, IMO. I made the jump months ago and haven't regretted it or any of the money I've saved. My monthly cellphone bill was literally cut in HALF. HALF. (and ST is still making profit, so, goes to show you how jacked up AT&T, TMo, Verizon etc. prices are...) Speeds are the same as they use AT&T's towers.

It's simple and easy to switch, that part isn't difficult. I too have heard rumors of people being warned about excess data usage, but, it hasn't happened to me yet. I watch Netflix occasionally, text, stream music a TON...

I wonder if I can hold my account and try it out. My wife has an iPhone 5, so that'll be an issue won't it?

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I wonder if I can hold my account and try it out. My wife has an iPhone 5, so that'll be an issue won't it?

Suspending your AT&T account isn't necessary. I still have a week left on my AT&T line, and can switch between that sim and Net10. For data, all I need to do is remove the Net10 APN profile with the AT&T sim, and reinstall it when I switch back. Voice works either way.

You'll need to cut your new sim down to fit the iP5 though.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Suspending your AT&T account isn't necessary. I still have a week left on my AT&T line, and can switch between that sim and Net10. All I need to do is remove the Net10 APN profile with the AT&T sim, and reinstall it when I switch back.

You'll need to cut your new sim down to fit the iP5 though.

What do you mean? I wouldn't want to keep paying AT&T if I am trying out Straight Talk.

I was told the iPhone 5 on 6.0 would nee to be unlocked, is that true?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.