Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingofkind

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
I'm about to graduate here this semester and am going to purchase the 4th gen Ipad before I do or get it as a graduation gift. I have about 20-25 bluray movies and a couple blurays of some tv shows that I own that I would like to put on the Ipad. Has anyone here done this with an ipad with retina display? Ive found tutorials online, but it seems like all the ones I come across are for the pre-retina ipads. I just want to know If ripping it to the full 1080p is possible, how big the file size is and what programs you use?

Thanks!

Speedy Gonzalez

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Alligator Bayou
I'm about to graduate here this semester and am going to purchase the 4th gen Ipad before I do or get it as a graduation gift. I have about 20-25 bluray movies and a couple blurays of some tv shows that I own that I would like to put on the Ipad. Has anyone here done this with an ipad with retina display? Ive found tutorials online, but it seems like all the ones I come across are for the pre-retina ipads. I just want to know If ripping it to the full 1080p is possible, how big the file size is and what programs you use?

Thanks!

yes you can backup your blurays with dvdfab blu-ray ripper is free to try for one month so you will have enough time to get all your movies backed up

if you are using intel HD-3000-4000 set encode and recode to intel quicksync it takes 13 min to rip the whole disk to your hard drive on iPad1080PH264 format and the size is from 6 to 9 GB depending on the movie

if you plan on putting those movies on your iPad I recommend the 64GB version but if you just want to stream them from the PC with air video any size is fine

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
Yes it is possible. I rip my blu-ray collection for us on my Mac Pro, MacBook Pro retina, MacBook Air, iPad 3, iPad mini and iPhone 5.

I use a program called MakeMKV for MAC. It's really simple. When the file is finished ripping, I use HandBrake and convert them to M4V because iTunes does not accept MKV files. But once finished it works on in iTunes and use can sync it with any device.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Thanks!

As expalined above, you'll want to use the MakeMKV + HandBrake combo.

1, come to the Apple TV forum ( https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/100/ ) here, where a LOT of threads are dedicated to these questions, unlike here.

2, HandBrake doesn't properly convert native Blu-Ray subtitles: all it can do is burn in the topmost one in the source MKV and that's all. Therefore, if you want to convert more than one subtitle track, let me know and I look up the URL of the thread here at MacRumors where I've posted a full tutorial on properly converting these subs - outside HB.

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
ditto on the MakeMKV + Handbrake combo.

Also, you'll need an external blu ray reader or writer drive.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
FYI, MKV is just a container spec, so the enclosed video/audio streams may not need to be recoded (via Handbrake) ... the file may simply need to be remuxed to a compatible container format (and the superfluous meta data like subtitles omitted). This is assuming you don't actually want to re-encode to a different bitrate, resolutions, etc.!

Just mentioning this because it +much+ faster (90-120 seconds for ~2 hour HD movie) ... my preferred utility is Subler (which also can add meta-data manually or automated).

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31647/subler

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
I just want to know If ripping it to the full 1080p is possible, how big the file size is and what programs you use?

Thanks!

Why do you want to do a full rip 1to1 rip which will be 25-40GB per movie........dude it's a 9 inch screen....smh

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Why do you want to do a full rip 1to1 rip which will be 25-40GB per movie........dude it's a 9 inch screen....smh

You have clearly not used DVDFab, depending on the length of the movie a 1080p rip will come in well under 5gb and looks GREAT not only on the iPad 3/4, but Apple TV.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
You have clearly not used DVDFab, depending on the length of the movie a 1080p rip will come in well under 5gb and looks GREAT not only on the iPad 3/4, but Apple TV.

I used dvdfab for all my rip but they are full rip. yeah a 5gb rip should look good on a 9 inch screen, hell a 700MB rip should also look good on the ipad. OP was asking for a full rip not compress

kingofkind

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
I used dvdfab for all my rip but they are full rip. yeah a 5gb rip should look good on a 9 inch screen, hell a 700MB rip should also look good on the ipad. OP was asking for a full rip not compress

Well i was asking if you could keep it at 1080p, yet compress the file to be around 5-7gb or so. I dont want to put a bunch of movies on there, I just want to be able to swap in hi-def movies when im in the mood to watch a movie or a couple episodes when im traveling or have some down time.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I would rip from bluray to the standard 1080p. Size doesn't really matter for home theatre setup. For mobile, I'd compress the 1080p down to 720p or less. Since viewing on my ipad 3, I can tell the compression quality so you don't want to compress too much. But then you will have to ask yourself is the movie worth it? I'd like to watch prometheus in the highest quality possible on the go on my iPad 3 but I don't need the same quality watching "free willy".

I'd rip to max quality so I can share on my ATV, then if I need to bring it with me on my iPad, I'd compress the 1080p rip into a 720p or lesser resolution. And even less if need be to watch on my iphone 5.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
I would rip from bluray to the standard 1080p. Size doesn't really matter for home theatre setup. For mobile, I'd compress the 1080p down to 720p or less. Since viewing on my ipad 3, I can tell the compression quality so you don't want to compress too much. But then you will have to ask yourself is the movie worth it? I'd like to watch prometheus in the highest quality possible on the go on my iPad 3 but I don't need the same quality watching "free willy".

I'd rip to max quality so I can share on my ATV, then if I need to bring it with me on my iPad, I'd compress the 1080p rip into a 720p or lesser resolution. And even less if need be to watch on my iphone 5.

why go through all the trouble of compressing for all your devices? all my media content are 1080 and works well on my iPad 3, iPad mini and iPhone 5.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

5 GB is a bit too low. Use less compression. Prolly the best is 7-9 Gbytes for a two-hour movie.

lsquare

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
As expalined above, you'll want to use the MakeMKV + HandBrake combo.

1, come to the Apple TV forum ( https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/100/ ) here, where a LOT of threads are dedicated to these questions, unlike here.

2, HandBrake doesn't properly convert native Blu-Ray subtitles: all it can do is burn in the topmost one in the source MKV and that's all. Therefore, if you want to convert more than one subtitle track, let me know and I look up the URL of the thread here at MacRumors where I've posted a full tutorial on properly converting these subs - outside HB.

I'm not sure if I understand you. How do I add the blu-ray subtitles to the MKV container?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Are there any cons to converting the Blu-ray texts into a different format? I believe what you listed is a DVD subtitle format.

To VobSub: nope.

To anything textual: possible OCR errors (and the take OCR / proofreading takes).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.