Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I currently have unlimited text messaging through AT&T, and since I have so many friends switching to iPhones I rarely use the "text message" aspect of the phone and have been using iMessage a lot more, so I'm thinking of downgrading my text messages. My question is if I want to go back to unlimited text messaging in a year from now, will I be able to do it? I could've sworn I read that AT&T was doing something stupid with their text messages a few months ago.

khkman22

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
There is no tiered messaging anymore on AT&T. Unlimited or no plan are your only options.

Applefan17

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
AT&T has done away with their tiers of messaging. They now only offer two options which is Unlimited and Pay-Per-Use so it isn't possible to downgrade to a lower number of allotted texts. However, if you want to switch down to Pay-Per-Use, it is always possible to change your service plan back up to Unlimited.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yep, a lot of people became in your situation so they decided to just remove tiered messaging. :(

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
How much does unlimited cost? Right now the family (4 people) have unlimited for $30 per month.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Single plan is $20.

Wow so if 3 of us had unlimited individually it'd cost $60 a month!?

I'll keep my $30 family unlimited. It comes with unlimited minutes for calls on any carrier. Is this option still available or grandfathered?

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
AT&T has done away with their tiers of messaging. They now only offer two options which is Unlimited and Pay-Per-Use so it isn't possible to downgrade to a lower number of allotted texts. However, if you want to switch down to Pay-Per-Use, it is always possible to change your service plan back up to Unlimited.

Well that's pretty stupid, I just wanted to switch to a 1000 per month messaging plan or something. Guess I'll just hold onto unlimited. Thanks for your reply.

Applefan17

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
Wow so if 3 of us had unlimited individually it'd cost $60 a month!?

I'll keep my $30 family unlimited. It comes with unlimited minutes for calls on any carrier. Is this option still available or grandfathered?

It depends... If all three of you are on a single plan each then it would be $60. But what I can tell you are on a family plan which in that case it will be $30 for all of you to have unlimited messaging... However, it seems that you already have it so I'm confused by what you're asking.

----------

Well that's pretty stupid, I just wanted to switch to a 1000 per month messaging plan or something. Guess I'll just hold onto unlimited. Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to hear about that :eek:

It seems that all carriers either have, or are doing away with the tiered messaging and setting their sites on tiered data instead. With all the focus on data, texting has just become such a normal part of life that I guess they figure you either text like crazy or hardly at all. Oh well, at least AT&T is tacking on that unlimited mobile to any mobile onto their unlimited messaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.