Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Nexus. *watches your arguments crumble*

*is aware you wouldn't realize it, and would continue on as if you've won anyway*

So Nexus is the only solution to Android's problem? This argument is invoked far too often on here.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Nexus. *watches your arguments crumble*

Nexus 4 is only available to GSM customers which are the minority in the US. The Nexus 4 also lacks LTE which is just pathetic in a brand new device going into 2013. Who wants to run on HSPA for 2 years when LTE is becoming the standard and quickly

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Native Facebook, TweetBot, Tiny Wings. There's countless examples. And the user experience. Users shouldn't have to worry whether their phones will get updated, deal with carrier branding and bloatware, OEM skins, etc.

There's a beauty in simplicity.

Pretty sure android have the same integration/"native" facebook experience, tweetbot its overrated and hyped (check out how they priced the client on mac :eek:) and tiny wings i dont now what that it; regarding updates, carrier branding etc i cant comment because i dont have experience with it.

They both have cons and pros but imo i consider android at the point the superior OS and google is really pushing hard while apple its playing it safe collecting cash :( if iOS 7 dont bring something different to the table it will loose more market to android, its no news that people are starting to notice the lack of WoW on iOS.

Since the first iphone these is the first year i dont get the new iphone on launch day.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
The iPhone 5s screen displays colors correctly. AMOLED screens are garbage. Far too much contrast and over saturated. The iPhones 326ppi is also much better than the Notes 267. So yes, the iPhone 5 has a much better display.

I'm tired of the PPI argument. Want a bigger PPI? Get the Droid DNA. Blows the iPhone's PPI away. After a certain point, PPI is just a nicety, not a deal-breaker.

To the second (and more concrete) part of your argument: you're correct that the iPhone 5 has more accurate color reproduction. However, there's a way to fix the SAMOLED's color and saturation to make it more accurate.

However, what really blew me away about the SAMOLED on the Galaxy Nexus (a year-old phone, by the way): get something black on the screen. On the iPhone, I can tell the screen is on. WIth the Galaxy Nexus, I can't. It's as black as can be.

----------

Nexus 4 is only available to GSM customers which are the minority in the US. The Nexus 4 also lacks LTE which is just pathetic in a brand new device going into 2013. Who wants to run on HSPA for 2 years when LTE is becoming the standard and quickly

Moving the target again, I see.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Nobody in here can be reasoned with, I suggest we all remove ourselves from this debate. I will be.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
My thoughts:

Apps: The App Store is better, but the unification of apps comes at a price. Apple is limited to certain screen sizes (and more specifically, small screen sizes), certain resolutions, sometimes only priced options, and despite all these apps, you can't make any of your favorite ones the default app in iOS or sometimes you can't share directly to certain apps (Dropbox comes to mind; you can only upload via the Dropbox app itself). Many of the most popular apps, games, etc. are available or eventually will be available on Android anyway. There are some specific ones that aren't, but to me, they aren't deal breakers (likewise, there are plenty that the App Store doesn't offer. Widgets, keyboards, launchers, different browsers, etc.). I'm not knocking the App Store, just pointing out that there are caveats. If it's worth the tradeoffs, that's all good. Personally, I've found everything I need from the Play Store (and them some). Plus, I get to enjoy a larger screen, make apps default, etc. One last thing: as the marketshare changes, as popularity shifts, as the Nexus branding grows, the developer-playing-field will shift too. It is only a matter of time, and some argue, already happening. This will be less and less of an advantage for iOS, I predict, in the coming year.

Marketshare? Android has close to 70% marketshare already, friend. All major design houses simply don't like developing for Android. It is a matter of taste. It is the same with owning a Mac. I believe, no matter what market share, iOS apps will always be better than those on Android. Apple is a design house. And as such, they attract designer heads.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
zbarvian and michaeljohn, just give it, you're not going to convince anyone here that iOS is better then Android even though almost every android user would say that the iOS ecosystem is better then Androids alot of people including myself are going to forgive that and perfere Android because of it's openness, customisability and more grown up design.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
zbarvian and michaeljohn, just give it, you're not going to convince anyone here that iOS is better then Android even though almost every android user would say that the iOS ecosystem is better then Androids alot of people including myself are going to forgive that and perfere Android because of it's openness, customisability and more grown up design.

This thread is called "why I'm going back to iOS" not "why I love Android and think its better than iOS" so it would seem you are only here to start trouble and go off topic

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

...grown up design? Fisher Price and Tron-inspired designs don't exactly scream "grown-up."

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 94

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania

LOL kind of like releasing a device with 512 mb of ram in 2013. :p

inhalewaste

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
It's too bad the best feature of iMessage is so faulty. When going between convos on my ipad to my mac and vice versa, I constantly get messages out of order or repeated messages hours later. It's quite glitchy.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
I hate the arguments about which display is better. It's a matter of taste. Some people like bigger screens, some people like the iPhone screen. But to say the iPhone 5 screen is better because it has a higher ppi is just ludicrous. It's like saying the iPhone screen is better than my 1080p 32 inch tv because it has more pixels per square inch.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
...grown up design? Fisher Price and Tron-inspired designs don't exactly scream "grown-up."

Themes can be changed under settings.

Look at that. Individual time stamped messages, how useful!

----------

In comparison to TouchWiz it looks super mature.

Press app to open.

Press home button to close.

Press app to open.

Press app to open.

Press home button close.

Very advanced.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM

----------

Press app to open.

Press app to open.

Press app to open.

Press home button close.

Very advanced.

Owned !

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

OK. You claim that you are objective to both Android and iOS, but in this post, you are clearly trying to start a pissing match between the two OS! First of all, this is TouchWiz and not the stock OS. Secondly, even in TouchWiz, you can install different messaging applications so your point is moot.

----------

This thread is called "why I'm going back to iOS" not "why I love Android and think its better than iOS" so it would seem you are only here to start trouble and go off topic

You mean like in the thread What's Your Deciding Factor? [to stick with Android over iOS] where you started talking about iPhone 5?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

----------

Press app to open.

Press app to open.

Press app to open.

Press home button close.

Very advanced.

I'm talking design, not interaction. And as I said before, there's a beauty in simplicity. What could be easier than opening apps from the home screen?

This is an iOS themed thread, after all.

inhalewaste

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012

Every time you invoke this argument, it shows how little you know about the Nexus program.

----------

I'm talking design, not interaction. And as I said before, there's a beauty in simplicity. What could be easier than opening apps from the home screen?

You can make Android look like anything you want. Not saying that's better or worse, but shouldn't that fact end the argument?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
You can make Android look like anything you want. Not saying that's better or worse, but shouldn't that fact end the argument?

I've never seen Android look as meticulously designed and polished as iOS. My brother is in Dribbble (design community) and they all use iPhones because Android is so poorly designed. After he pointed out the flaws and inconsistencies, it's hard to unsee them.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

So design is more important than interaction? Guess that's why the iPhone is an absolute jewel with apple pushing the whole made with the precision of a finely crafted watch while ignoring any innovation with the OS (unless a fifth row was innovation).

What could be easier than opening the app from the home screen? A widget showing the info without having to open the app at all. Calendar for appointments and scheduling for example.

----------

I've never seen Android look as meticulously designed and polished as iOS. My brother is in Dribbble (design community) and they all use iPhones because Android is so poorly designed. After he pointed out the flaws and inconsistencies, it's hard to unsee them.

So your opinion of android is based off of someone elses opinions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.