Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
did you already restore to 6.01 while preserving your downgraded BB?

Sometimes a new restore works out problems

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I have jailbroken this phone three days ago to 4.1 and installed ultrasn0w on it and using this SIM I was able to unlock it: I was able to send SMS and to make phone calls. The reception wasn't great, but it did work.

Currently running 6.0.1 unlock doesn't work with the same SIM card, as I mentioned all the things I have tried.

The original carrier was a German one, I think T-Mobile, but I'm not sure.

I don't think there is antenna flex cable detached - but I can't confirm this, I can only restate the fact that under 4.1 I got it to work.

I wondering about your statement where you said the reception wasn't great on 4.1. This may indicate an antenna flex cable issue or maybe a hardware problem (antenna power IC or antenna switching module). If the antenna power IC module or switching module were going, you would only see sporadic reception where sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not. Maybe leave it for an hour or 2 and see if it ever locks onto a signal.

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
I wondering about your statement where you said the reception wasn't great on 4.1. This may indicate an antenna flex cable issue or maybe a hardware problem (antenna power IC or antenna switching module). If the antenna power IC module or switching module were going, you would only see sporadic reception where sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not. Maybe leave it for an hour or 2 and see if it ever locks onto a signal.

It's a good insight - but I think that even if there's an harware problem, it's still not the reason for not being able to unlock the phone because on 4.1 it had signal(even if it was low - it was there).

I'd like to point, however, something more interesting. When I was on 4.1 I tried to install ultrasn0w and initially I had No Signal just like now. However, I think that I reflashed the ipad baseband again and then I had signal(though low).

I'll try to reflashing the ipad baseband, and then downgrading again as Applejuiced suggested.

I'll update with the results.

Last edited:

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
OK, I flashed down to ipad baseband + removed relevant packages + reinstalled them + reboots - didn't help.

Downgraded baseband - removed + reinstall + reboot - didn't help either.

The next thing I'll do is to restore to 4.1 while preserving baseband and I'll update with the results.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
are you using ultrasn0wfixer from this repo?
repo.iparelhos.com

try that first before downgrading to 4.1

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
according to the website a full restore might be needed to make it work.

http://www.iparelhos.com/2012/11/07/f-a-q/

Try making a NO_BB 6.01 IPSW with redsn0w and restore with that first, than install ultrasn0w reboot and install the fixer, reboot.

Initially I created NO_BB 6.01 IPSW with snowbreeze, I don't think it will help to do it again, unfortunately. It's really strange why it doesn't work.

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I've seen about 3 iPhones out of 500 that had a similar issue where they worked fine with AT&T but refused signal with ultrasn0w. I think it's a sign of underlying hardware issues, especially considering how weak your signal is on 4.1. You should definitely pop off the screen when you get a chance to buy an iPhone screw driver with a suction cup from eBay and check the lower right #7 antenna flex isn't popped out.

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
I've seen about 3 iPhones out of 500 that had a similar issue where they worked fine with AT&T but refused signal with ultrasn0w. I think it's a sign of underlying hardware issues, especially considering how weak your signal is on 4.1. You should definitely pop off the screen when you get a chance to buy an iPhone screw driver with a suction cup from eBay and check the lower right #7 antenna flex isn't popped out.

Very interesting. Actually what you are telling sound more interesting due to the fact that this phone worked perfectly when it was used in Germany with its opened SIM(same analog to AT&T).

I watched a clip on Youtube how to open the iphone - however, where is the #7 antenna flex located exactly?

I'll buy the screw driver and get a sunction cup and I'll update with results.

Thanks a lot.

----------

Are you sure they say so? I read the faq and full restore is not mentioned.

Sorry, you were right, it does say to do full resotre. However, I don't think I'll do it again.

Last edited:

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012

OK, I have news:

Apparently my iphone can be factory unlocked for free, so now my iphone is factory unlocked. I did full restore, baseband 05.16.07.

And check this out: I still have 'No Service' and 'Searching...'

The only conclusion I can think of is that there is an hardware problem(antena?) or something like that.

What do you think?

Thanks.

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Did you get the "congratulations your iphone is now unlocked" message after the restore?

Like I mentioned previously, this is really sounding like a hardware problem (or if you're lucky you just may need to reconnect the #7 antenna ribbon connector).

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Did you get the "congratulations your iphone is now unlocked" message after the restore?

Like I mentioned previously, this is really sounding like a hardware problem (or if you're lucky you just may need to reconnect the #7 antenna ribbon connector).

Yep, I got the "unlocked" message, and the restore went smoothly.

I also think the problem is with the antenna ribbon - also I need to mention to you 2 more things:

1. When I inserted a new SIM card, after a minute suddenly the iphone turn black and it was written: "Trying to send USSD" (It was only for half a second, so I'm not sure if that's what was written).

2. Because I changed so many times the SIM, now the SIM tray is messed up and I can't get the SIM tray to fully be inserted into the iphone. Do you know what I can do to fix this?

EDIT: About the SIM Tray: I needed to push it a little harder and it does find the SIM.It's half broken, but with some power(light) it recognizes the SIM.

Last edited:

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012

I want to mention one more thing. When I enter different SIM cards, it find the correct carrier under settings->general. How could that be?

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Pop off the screen and check the #7 antenna connector.
If it looks fine and is connected, you likely have a hardware problem (missing inductor near #7 connnector, bad antenna power IC, bad antenna switching IC).

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Pop off the screen and check the #7 antenna connector.
If it looks fine and is connected, you likely have a hardware problem (missing inductor near #7 connnector, bad antenna power IC, bad antenna switching IC).

Good news, man!

As you said, #7 antenna connector was out. I popped it in and it worked!

Thank you all (braxton34, LandonDonovan, TriJetHero and Applejuiced) for your great help, I really appreciate it! :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.