Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:22 PM   #51
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
Nexus. *watches your arguments crumble*

*is aware you wouldn't realize it, and would continue on as if you've won anyway*
So Nexus is the only solution to Android's problem? This argument is invoked far too often on here.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:23 PM   #52
Switchback666
macrumors 65816
 
Switchback666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caribbean
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Native Facebook, TweetBot, Tiny Wings. There's countless examples. And the user experience. Users shouldn't have to worry whether their phones will get updated, deal with carrier branding and bloatware, OEM skins, etc.

There's a beauty in simplicity.
Pretty sure android have the same integration/"native" facebook experience, tweetbot its overrated and hyped (check out how they priced the client on mac ) and tiny wings i dont now what that it; regarding updates, carrier branding etc i cant comment because i dont have experience with it.

They both have cons and pros but imo i consider android at the point the superior OS and google is really pushing hard while apple its playing it safe collecting cash if iOS 7 dont bring something different to the table it will loose more market to android, its no news that people are starting to notice the lack of WoW on iOS.

Since the first iphone these is the first year i dont get the new iphone on launch day.
__________________
What is The B.D.S Movement ? Check it out, The B.D.S Movement !
FREEDOM, JUSTICE & EQUALITY !
Switchback666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:23 PM   #53
michaeljohn
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenvii View Post
Nexus. *watches your arguments crumble*
Nexus 4 is only available to GSM customers which are the minority in the US. The Nexus 4 also lacks LTE which is just pathetic in a brand new device going into 2013. Who wants to run on HSPA for 2 years when LTE is becoming the standard and quickly
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:29 PM   #54
ravenvii
macrumors 604
 
ravenvii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Melenkurion Skyweir
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
The iPhone 5s screen displays colors correctly. AMOLED screens are garbage. Far too much contrast and over saturated. The iPhones 326ppi is also much better than the Notes 267. So yes, the iPhone 5 has a much better display.
I'm tired of the PPI argument. Want a bigger PPI? Get the Droid DNA. Blows the iPhone's PPI away. After a certain point, PPI is just a nicety, not a deal-breaker.

To the second (and more concrete) part of your argument: you're correct that the iPhone 5 has more accurate color reproduction. However, there's a way to fix the SAMOLED's color and saturation to make it more accurate.

However, what really blew me away about the SAMOLED on the Galaxy Nexus (a year-old phone, by the way): get something black on the screen. On the iPhone, I can tell the screen is on. WIth the Galaxy Nexus, I can't. It's as black as can be.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
Nexus 4 is only available to GSM customers which are the minority in the US. The Nexus 4 also lacks LTE which is just pathetic in a brand new device going into 2013. Who wants to run on HSPA for 2 years when LTE is becoming the standard and quickly
Moving the target again, I see.
__________________
59 6F 75 20 73 70 6F 6F 6E 79 20 62 61 72 64 21
ravenvii is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:32 PM   #55
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Nobody in here can be reasoned with, I suggest we all remove ourselves from this debate. I will be.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:32 PM   #56
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Man some people are really turning threads into a pissing contest here.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:33 PM   #57
Switchback666
macrumors 65816
 
Switchback666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caribbean
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Nobody in here can be reasoned with, I suggest we all remove ourselves from this debate. I will be.
Not true mate nobody here is giving you a hard time but the michael guy i dont think is very loved around here lol
__________________
What is The B.D.S Movement ? Check it out, The B.D.S Movement !
FREEDOM, JUSTICE & EQUALITY !
Switchback666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:35 PM   #58
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601
 
Compile 'em all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by inhalewaste View Post
My thoughts:

Apps: The App Store is better, but the unification of apps comes at a price. Apple is limited to certain screen sizes (and more specifically, small screen sizes), certain resolutions, sometimes only priced options, and despite all these apps, you can't make any of your favorite ones the default app in iOS or sometimes you can't share directly to certain apps (Dropbox comes to mind; you can only upload via the Dropbox app itself). Many of the most popular apps, games, etc. are available or eventually will be available on Android anyway. There are some specific ones that aren't, but to me, they aren't deal breakers (likewise, there are plenty that the App Store doesn't offer. Widgets, keyboards, launchers, different browsers, etc.). I'm not knocking the App Store, just pointing out that there are caveats. If it's worth the tradeoffs, that's all good. Personally, I've found everything I need from the Play Store (and them some). Plus, I get to enjoy a larger screen, make apps default, etc. One last thing: as the marketshare changes, as popularity shifts, as the Nexus branding grows, the developer-playing-field will shift too. It is only a matter of time, and some argue, already happening. This will be less and less of an advantage for iOS, I predict, in the coming year.

Marketshare? Android has close to 70% marketshare already, friend. All major design houses simply don't like developing for Android. It is a matter of taste. It is the same with owning a Mac. I believe, no matter what market share, iOS apps will always be better than those on Android. Apple is a design house. And as such, they attract designer heads.
__________________
Compile 'em all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:37 PM   #59
IFRIT
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
zbarvian and michaeljohn, just give it, you're not going to convince anyone here that iOS is better then Android even though almost every android user would say that the iOS ecosystem is better then Androids alot of people including myself are going to forgive that and perfere Android because of it's openness, customisability and more grown up design.
IFRIT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:38 PM   #60
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback666 View Post
Not true mate nobody here is giving you a hard time but the michael guy i dont think is very loved around here lol
Yeah. But this is a heated debate that's bound to end in insults and mod-calling, lol
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:41 PM   #61
michaeljohn
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRIT View Post
zbarvian and michaeljohn, just give it, you're not going to convince anyone here that iOS is better then Android even though almost every android user would say that the iOS ecosystem is better then Androids alot of people including myself are going to forgive that and perfere Android because of it's openness, customisability and more grown up design.
This thread is called "why I'm going back to iOS" not "why I love Android and think its better than iOS" so it would seem you are only here to start trouble and go off topic
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:45 PM   #62
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRIT View Post
zbarvian and michaeljohn, just give it, you're not going to convince anyone here that iOS is better then Android even though almost every android user would say that the iOS ecosystem is better then Androids alot of people including myself are going to forgive that and perfere Android because of it's openness, customisability and more grown up design.
...grown up design? Fisher Price and Tron-inspired designs don't exactly scream "grown-up."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	378189  
zbarvian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:50 PM   #63
SeanR1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
Nexus 4 is only available to GSM customers which are the minority in the US. The Nexus 4 also lacks LTE which is just pathetic in a brand new device going into 2013. Who wants to run on HSPA for 2 years when LTE is becoming the standard and quickly
LOL kind of like releasing a device with 512 mb of ram in 2013.
SeanR1 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:55 PM   #64
inhalewaste
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
It's too bad the best feature of iMessage is so faulty. When going between convos on my ipad to my mac and vice versa, I constantly get messages out of order or repeated messages hours later. It's quite glitchy.
inhalewaste is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:59 PM   #65
IFRIT
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
...grown up design? Fisher Price and Tron-inspired designs don't exactly scream "grown-up."
Come on iOS looks about as fisher price as is possible..
IFRIT is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:59 PM   #66
Markyboy81
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I hate the arguments about which display is better. It's a matter of taste. Some people like bigger screens, some people like the iPhone screen. But to say the iPhone 5 screen is better because it has a higher ppi is just ludicrous. It's like saying the iPhone screen is better than my 1080p 32 inch tv because it has more pixels per square inch.
Markyboy81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:03 PM   #67
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRIT View Post
Come on iOS looks about as fisher price as is possible..
In comparison to TouchWiz it looks super mature.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:05 PM   #68
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
...grown up design? Fisher Price and Tron-inspired designs don't exactly scream "grown-up."
Themes can be changed under settings.

Look at that. Individual time stamped messages, how useful!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
In comparison to TouchWiz it looks super mature.
Press app to open.

Press home button to close.

Press app to open.

Press home button to close.

Press app to open.

Press home button close.

Very advanced.
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:07 PM   #69
Switchback666
macrumors 65816
 
Switchback666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caribbean
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Themes can be changed under settings.

Look at that. Individual time stamped messages, how useful!

----------



Press app to open.

Press home button to close.

Press app to open.

Press home button to close.

Press app to open.

Press home button close.

Very advanced.
Owned !
__________________
What is The B.D.S Movement ? Check it out, The B.D.S Movement !
FREEDOM, JUSTICE & EQUALITY !
Switchback666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:12 PM   #70
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
...grown up design? Fisher Price and Tron-inspired designs don't exactly scream "grown-up."
OK. You claim that you are objective to both Android and iOS, but in this post, you are clearly trying to start a pissing match between the two OS! First of all, this is TouchWiz and not the stock OS. Secondly, even in TouchWiz, you can install different messaging applications so your point is moot.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
This thread is called "why I'm going back to iOS" not "why I love Android and think its better than iOS" so it would seem you are only here to start trouble and go off topic
You mean like in the thread What's Your Deciding Factor? [to stick with Android over iOS] where you started talking about iPhone 5?
dalbir4444 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:15 PM   #71
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Themes can be changed under settings.

Look at that. Individual time stamped messages, how useful!

----------



Press app to open.

Press home button to close.

Press app to open.

Press home button to close.

Press app to open.

Press home button close.

Very advanced.
I'm talking design, not interaction. And as I said before, there's a beauty in simplicity. What could be easier than opening apps from the home screen?

This is an iOS themed thread, after all.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:21 PM   #72
inhalewaste
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
Nexus 4 is only available to GSM customers which are the minority in the US. The Nexus 4 also lacks LTE which is just pathetic in a brand new device going into 2013. Who wants to run on HSPA for 2 years when LTE is becoming the standard and quickly
Every time you invoke this argument, it shows how little you know about the Nexus program.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
I'm talking design, not interaction. And as I said before, there's a beauty in simplicity. What could be easier than opening apps from the home screen?

This is an iOS themed thread, after all.
You can make Android look like anything you want. Not saying that's better or worse, but shouldn't that fact end the argument?
inhalewaste is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:21 PM   #73
Switchback666
macrumors 65816
 
Switchback666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caribbean


If the hat fits....
__________________
What is The B.D.S Movement ? Check it out, The B.D.S Movement !
FREEDOM, JUSTICE & EQUALITY !
Switchback666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:30 PM   #74
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by inhalewaste View Post

You can make Android look like anything you want. Not saying that's better or worse, but shouldn't that fact end the argument?
I've never seen Android look as meticulously designed and polished as iOS. My brother is in Dribbble (design community) and they all use iPhones because Android is so poorly designed. After he pointed out the flaws and inconsistencies, it's hard to unsee them.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:33 PM   #75
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
I'm talking design, not interaction. And as I said before, there's a beauty in simplicity. What could be easier than opening apps from the home screen?

This is an iOS themed thread, after all.
So design is more important than interaction? Guess that's why the iPhone is an absolute jewel with apple pushing the whole made with the precision of a finely crafted watch while ignoring any innovation with the OS (unless a fifth row was innovation).

What could be easier than opening the app from the home screen? A widget showing the info without having to open the app at all. Calendar for appointments and scheduling for example.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
I've never seen Android look as meticulously designed and polished as iOS. My brother is in Dribbble (design community) and they all use iPhones because Android is so poorly designed. After he pointed out the flaws and inconsistencies, it's hard to unsee them.
So your opinion of android is based off of someone elses opinions?
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Tags
android, apple, galaxy nexus, ios, iphone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 7 Activation Error, and won't let me update back to iOS 7. phyllmoore52 iOS 7 3 Aug 29, 2013 05:14 PM
iPhone 4 Restore/Back-Up (revert back to older iOS) cl6120 iPhone 2 Aug 1, 2013 04:51 PM
iPod Touch: Get the iOS 5 status bar and permanantly YouTube and maps back on iOS 6? aPple nErd Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 5 Apr 14, 2013 11:49 PM
Can I go back to its 5 I hate iOS 6 since Steve dead iOS is gotin worse AR999 Wasteland 10 Sep 19, 2012 01:38 PM
Any way to revert ios 6 backup back to ios 5? L4Leonard iOS 6 3 Jul 19, 2012 01:37 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC