Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
When the mini first came out the idea crossed my mind that I should sell my retina iPad and get the mini to replace it. However, after thinking about it I decided that I really don't want to give up the 10 inch iPad because it has become so useful in my life. It's big enough for two people to watch a movie or play a game on it, yet small enough to fit in a bag or bring it to places that you normally wouldn't bring a laptop. I have even started to bring it to class to take notes with it in pages and view PDF sources for my papers. The screen is georgeous for reading, and pictures look incredible on it. It's the perfect device to set on a table and interact with your content, but that's the thing though, it works best while its sitting on a table or while it's propped up with the Smart Cover. When you hold it it starts to get uncomfortable after a couple minutes because of its large footprint and weight. When I don't have a table available to use I'd much rather pick up my iPhone to respond to some emails or browse the web, but at the same time I'd prefer to be using the large screen that the iPad offers. This is where the mini would fit into my life so perfectly. But at the same time I like for my devices to serve purposes, and I'm not sure that I'll feel like the mini is very useful if I'm only using it instead of my retina iPad when I need to hold it instead of setting it on a table. So, I guess my question is what do you guys think about owning both iPads? And if any of you have owned both for the past couple of weeks, what do you find that you are using each device for?

Last edited:

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Lots of cross-threads happening, here's my thoughts from another thread:

I've been doing nothing but playing with the iPad mini since I got the thing yesterday. Definitely 100% new toy syndrome right now but I can definitely see this thing getting way more use than my iPad 4, but in a different way. It's way more mobile/less conspicuous to whip out at a coffee shop, easier to shove into a bag, and perfect to do basic and passive computing like web browsing/magazine and news reading/checking and writing email, word processing, home entertainment w/apple tv, etc. Plus, my 4 is wifi only and this thing has a data plan so I can use it as a giant car GPS, and also not be tied down to finding wifi whenever I want to do something that requires it.

I also just upgraded my iPad 3 to the new one for about $100 net incremental spend, and I love that as well. I'm pretty sure I'll mostly use that for all of my photo enhancing/mild video processing and editing/using it as an extra screen/watching hd video/etc.

If I HAD to choose between the 2 I'd likely stick with the 4 and upgrade to a data plan version because its clearly the better device and can do EVERYTHING i just listed above, but I REALLY dislike taking my 4 outside of the house for fear of breaking it, feeling silly using it at a coffee place, or paranoid I'm gonna get held up.
I don't get that vibe with this at all.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
For quick tasks it is still easier to grab the iPhone. And for other tasks the iPad puts the Mini to shame. iPad is about the size and weight of a hardback, so not much less convenient than the Mini.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Still debating whether I'll keep the mini, the 4th gen, or both. I'd originally pre ordered the mini to replace my iPad 2, got impatient and went out and bought the 4th gen WiFi. I put off the retina when the 3 came out but now that I've had the 4 for a week or so I've come to appreciate just how good the retina display can be. That being said after just a few days of playing with the mini I have to admit that the majority of the time it really is the perfect size. I have a little under two weeks to make a decision, most likely I'll keep both.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
I'm keeping both. I carry my iPad EVERYWHERE. Literally. During the day for business I'll use the retina. At night and weekends it's so much easier to be carrying the mini around.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Get yourself a better case, not smart cover. Then it will be easier to hold on one hand or carry it around.

What you can do with Ipad mini, you can also with Nexus or Kindle with lot cheaper price. But Ipad is original, the feel, the size, the screen, the sturdyness... which you can't find from other devices.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
keeping my ipad3, mini, iphone 5 and my new retina macbook! you can never have too many devices! :p

jackiepie

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
If you don't care the money. Get both. If you do. You can consider it at two points.
1. iPad 4 is home device actually.
2. iPad mini is more suitable for taking out.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Don't forget to buy an iPod touch :eek:

Dude you have a lot of money to waste: happy for you :D

Don't need the iPod touch. It's not about wasting money. It's about do I need the device and how it can enhance my daily life. iPad Mini is strictly for portability. The iPad mini is actually the only device I've had that put money out for. I sell my old iPhone for the cost of buying a new iPhone, And I sold my third-generation iPad for what it cost me to buy my fourth generation iPad. So actually while I have a good disposable income I actually am a pretty smart business person and salesperson as I very rarely have to put a lot of out-of-pocket cost to buy the newest model because I'm successful in selling my prior models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.