Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
I just received the following email from Apple:

The Messages Beta program for Lion will end on Friday, December 14, 2012. We hope you've enjoyed the opportunity to preview Messages.

If you'd like to continue using Messages, upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store. Messages is one of many great new apps and features built right into OS X Mountain Lion. Learn More.

Thank you for your participation in the Messages Beta program.

I'll be the first to admit that I've been aware that this was only a Beta from the start. However, I'd hoped that the finished product would be available for Lion, even if for a small fee ($0.99-$2.99?). Sorry to hear that's not the case, apparently.

Yes, I plan to eventually upgrade to Mountain Lion, but I was not prepared to do so in the next month. That's not my point. I'm frustrated that Apple continues to follow this policy of withholding features to existing hardware/software setups that are perfectly capable of handling them (both on OS X and iOS).

Messages has been working quite well for me on my Mac... Why disconnect it?

On the flip side, perhaps there are new features coming to Messages that just won't work with Lion. Maybe there's a good reason behind this.

dead_smed

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
Milton Keynes
I also find it annoying that it's soon going to expire. I have an old Mac Mini that isn't capable of running 10.8 and can't justify buying new hardware just for desktop iMessaging.

t22design

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Yep it's annoying. I'm a MacBook user that can't upgrade to Mountain Lion and these constant fake limitations drive me mad. At least I can do Photo stream sharing on my Windows machine.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
The feature was billed as a Mountain Lion feature so it sucks that you can't use it on Lion after the 14th of next month, but I'm hardly surprised that they've finally release a closing date of the beta, as it's been a generous beta. I would've thought they would've closed it after the public launch of GM.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I feel like it should allow you to use it forever if its an older model that can't install 10.8.

ESPECIALLY if they are going to release a beta for it knowing that some users who download it won't be able to upgrade.

Last edited:

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Yep it's annoying. I'm a MacBook user that can't upgrade to Mountain Lion and these constant fake limitations drive me mad. At least I can do Photo stream sharing on my Windows machine.

If they didn't have limitations, they'd have very little way to justify OS upgrades. They could have brought Time Machine to Tiger, Grand Central Dispatch to Leopard, Dashboard to Snow Leopard, etc, but then there would have been less of a reason to upgrade, and people would have whined about the lack of unique features in the new OS. Nobody likes having to pay for things, but once they're done putting time and effort into a feature, they prefer to get compensated for their efforts. Can't blame them.

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Hey, lets uninstall your iChat and let you install Messages. Oh now we don't want to release a finished Messages client for your OS so it will stop working and we won't give you iChat back..... Oh well! Here, spend $30.

----------

Can't blame them.

Yes you can, they shouldn't have released the beta to begin with if they didn't intend to release a final client.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
This is complete crap. Why release a beta for Lion if you are to take it away later? Nonsense. There are lots of people that don't buy new hardware every year and are now used to it. I have upgraded all our household Macs (3) to Mountain Lion, but not everyone is able to.

I've submitted a comment/feedback to Apple via their website - suggest everyone that thinks this is a bad move do the same - that's the only chance we have of getting them to listen.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html
http://www.apple.com/feedback/ichat.html

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Yes you can, they shouldn't have released the beta to begin with if they didn't intend to release a final client.

Except for that's NEVER how they billed it. They were quite clear from the get-go that the iMessages client for Lion was simply a way for more people to get a hold of it(read test it) before the public release of ML.... Anyone that downloaded this knew that it was never going to be a permanent feature of Lion.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
The feature was billed as a Mountain Lion feature so it sucks that you can't use it on Lion after the 14th of next month, but I'm hardly surprised that they've finally release a closing date of the beta, as it's been a generous beta. I would've thought they would've closed it after the public launch of GM.

Yeah, keep defending Apple. But the fact is, this is just another dick move in a long string of disgusting artificial limitations and forced pushes for obsolescence. :mad:

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Except for that's NEVER how they billed it. They were quite clear from the get-go that the iMessages client for Lion was simply a way for more people to get a hold of it(read test it) before the public release of ML.... Anyone that downloaded this knew that it was never going to be a permanent feature of Lion.

Really? because I never got that impression, and I did download it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
There is no technical reason to not allow Lion to use Messages. This crap is another way Apple is alienating its loyal users, including myself.

I wish they'd stop this stupidity.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I guess two of my four Macs will not have iMessage as they can't run Mountain Lion. Two are 2007 MacBooks.

People that bought a Mac Mini or MacBook that are 2009 or older wont be happy.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I knew they were going to can iMessage for Lion shortly after Mountain Lion was released... And while it's only a $30 upgrade to ML, this'd be pretty damn sucky for people whose Macs are too old to upgrade to ML.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
To the question of Getting compensation for it, they could offer a $5.00 version of it on the app store for Lion users. Thus, it's free if you upgrade, or it costs you a few bucks if you don't.

On the question of "upgrading hardware every year", every computer in my house is ML compatible, the oldest of which is almost five years old. So, it seems that as long as you've upgraded your hardware within the last few years, you'd be fine with this. This does make me curious about what the most recent machine that was Lion compatible but not ML compatible was...

In any event, is this annoying? Sure. Is it somethig to get all bent out of shape about? I don't really think so. I reserve getting all bent out of shape for things like discontinuing Rosetta support. $29 for an upgrade? Sure, until you factor in all the additional software that worked fine but suddenly won't run anymore because of the dropped Rosetta support. Lion cost me >$800 to upgrade...

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
These fake boundaries by Apple are really annoying. Another one is that you cant use iCloud on Snow Leopard. You also cant upgrade to Lion on the mac app store for some reason and have to call apple to get a key (seems really backwards to me). I synced my friends calendars through google instead. Easy and saved her $30 and another OS upgrade her old computer doesn't need.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Once again Apple users have to buy the new crappy OS for something they could have done with the previous OS.

All the more reason to dislike Apple. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.