Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I need to get my 4th gen replaced and it's the previous generation 8GB version. Does anyone know if I get it replaced by Apple if it will contain 5.1.1 or if it'll have 6.0 - and how sure are you?

Thanks.

thedeejay

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I need to get my 4th gen replaced and it's the previous generation 8GB version. Does anyone know if I get it replaced by Apple if it will contain 5.1.1 or if it'll have 6.0 - and how sure are you?

Thanks.

thedeejay

About 99% sure it will have 6.0.1.

matneh

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Just today I got a 64gb replacement for my ailing 4G (bad battery) from an apple store and the replacement was on version 4.3!!

jroz

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Why would that matter? You can just plug it in to iTunes upgrade it yourself.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Why would that matter? You can just plug it in to iTunes upgrade it yourself.

Listen, you don't have to be a jerk off first of all. I'm just curious as I was wondering which software it came with. Does why or for what reason really matter?

To everyone else. Thank you. I'm just finding my current iPod that runs 6.0.1 is really slow. It's had a cracked screen for a while and I held out until now, so now I can finally afford the replacement. Only reason I'm curious about the software is because I despise 6.0.1 for my own reasons (don't flame me).

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
It'll come with whatever OS was installed on the device when they received the shipment. Assuming it's in the original packaging.

matneh

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
The refurbs are iPods that someone had and then returned for a variety of reasons (battery, hardware, didn't like it). From my recent experience it is clear that they don't always upgrade the OS when they refurb it, seeing as how I got a 4.3 replacement in 2012.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Listen, you don't have to be a jerk off first of all. I'm just curious as I was wondering which software it came with. Does why or for what reason really matter?

To everyone else. Thank you. I'm just finding my current iPod that runs 6.0.1 is really slow. It's had a cracked screen for a while and I held out until now, so now I can finally afford the replacement. Only reason I'm curious about the software is because I despise 6.0.1 for my own reasons (don't flame me).

How much do you pay to get the refur replacement? Better get brand new 8GB if still available because older shipment do not get new IOS update like the 16GB and Im sure they stop producing the 8GB due to the arrival of gen 5. Games and Apps these days will eat through your 8GB in a day.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
How much do you pay to get the refur replacement? Better get brand new 8GB if still available because older shipment do not get new IOS update like the 16GB and Im sure they stop producing the 8GB due to the arrival of gen 5. Games and Apps these days will eat through your 8GB in a day.

For an Apple store Genius Bar replacement they're quoting $99. I know for sure if I get the 16GB one I'll get iOS 6

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
Just today I got a 64gb replacement for my ailing 4G (bad battery) from an apple store and the replacement was on version 4.3!!

I ordered a refurbished 64gb unit from Apple Saturday and it's shipping from China. I hope it does have iOS version 4.3 since I plan to use it for audiobooks and the music app in v4.3 is better than my iPad Mini which is running v6.0. On the mini, the audiobooks on iOS v6 cannot remember chapters. If you quit listening and then re-open the app, you have to recall which track you were on. I have the book set to remember position, and it works great on my 3rd generation iPod Touch running 4.3.3, but 6.0 is not a great version for audiobooks. This is a known issue that is yet to be addressed by Apple. When I receive the refurbished unit, I will try to remember to let you know what version it was running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.