The taller iPhone screen a fail? - Page 3 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:44 PM   #51
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkie View Post
The taller screen is a huge benefit.
What is the other option? Making the screne wider and taller? That would absolutely add zero benefit, because the phone would show exactly the same content, only bigger.

People should understand that the screen being a bit taller causes the phone to be able to show twice as much content in some cases. For instance, when you're in a messaging app on the iPhone 4/4S, about 75% of the screen estate is occupied by the keyboard, the top bar (showing the time, battery and reception) and the navigation bars inside of apps. The actual content is shown on only a small part of the screen. Every pixel added due to the larger screen goes directly to the visible content.
Bigger is the point of a bigger screen. The 3.5" screen has you squinting to read things, constantly zooming THEN scrolling side to side because the screen isnt wide enough.

If you bought a bigger TV do you expect to see more content or a bigger picture?
cynics is online now   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:50 PM   #52
jmmo20
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
I do like the extra screen estate but I don't like the fact that it's taller
I have big hands, but with the previous screen everything was within reach of my thumb. Now hitting the top buttons (like "Back or Cancel") and being able to hit the home button is much harder.
Having said that, I do love hte overall feel of the iphone5.
jmmo20 is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:13 PM   #53
Merkie
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Bigger is the point of a bigger screen. The 3.5" screen has you squinting to read things, constantly zooming THEN scrolling side to side because the screen isnt wide enough.

If you bought a bigger TV do you expect to see more content or a bigger picture?
A larger TV makes sense because the distance to the TV isn't something that is influenced by the TV alone. However, you can change the distance to your iPhone every second of the day, so you can simply bring the phone closer to your eyes if you want to.

Also, I think you're exaggerating, if you've got normal eyesight then you should never squint to read things.
Merkie is offline   1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:13 PM   #54
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a
 
Ayemerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Apple never fails on hardware in my mind...software they are almost failing..
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB Space Grey - iPad 4 32GB Black - Mac mini 2012
Ayemerica is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:35 PM   #55
ViperDesign
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Nothing apple makes these days, fails. So no it isn't a fail, but in regards to the market, it isn't where it needs to be. I really can't imagine them staying at the 4 inch screen again. Times are changing, the only thing apple has going for them is the loyalty they have from their customers.

Apple isn't getting new customers like they once did, and it is because they are falling behind the times product wise especially the iPhone
__________________
iPhone 5s TMobile(White), Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013, 2x AppleTV, 2x Chromecast
ViperDesign is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:45 PM   #56
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Seriously that's your argument?
Seriously, you think starting your sentence with "seriously" somehow validates your response?

Yes, seriously, that's my argument. When you feel strongly that a product is a "fail," generally what people with common sense do is get a competing product that isn't a "fail" in their opinion. If you keep buying the "fail" product, you kinda encourage the manufacturer to keep doing what they're doing, because you're still buying it. Which makes you wonder where the "fail" really is.

Do you have a real response to this other than "seriously?" Because "seriously" isn't even a response, really.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:13 PM   #57
Sedrick
macrumors 68030
 
Sedrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannesss View Post
I love my 5. I don't understand how someone can be mad that they made the screen taller, after requesting it on forums like this for years.
#1, taller screen and #2 LTE, people have been wanting these features for years. They come out with it, and no one likes it because their hands cramp up. Well, mine never have, and I love the way the screen works for me. It fits my hands fine. It's like I got the one good iPhone 5 and everyone else just hates it.
I'll give you a buck if you can scare up one post where anyone was asking for only a taller screen. That would just be crazy. Don't confuse taller with the larger screen everyone has been debating for the last 2 years. No one in their right mind would have requested (or thought) Apple would make the screen only taller.

Of course, now that they did make the silly decision to only go taller on such a small screen, the fan-boys are coming out of the woodwork.
__________________
iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2
Sedrick is offline   2
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:05 PM   #58
jjd
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Try a One x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkie View Post
The taller screen is a huge benefit.
What is the other option? Making the screne wider and taller? That would absolutely add zero benefit, because the phone would show exactly the same content, only bigger.
Nonsense. Try a One X (or Nexus 4 or SG 3) for a week and you will realise how silly that is. First of all, the fact is you see more in one screen - a lot more. Secondly, you can ALSO make text etc bigger while still showing more of it. That all results in enhanced readibility in a device that remains easily pocketable

I have had every iPhone variant since the original. And I have a house full of Macs, ATVs etc. And Android is not without issues. And iOS6, while getting stale, is still superior in many ways. But, there are better handsets on the market than iPhone 5 and the screen size is the problem.
jjd is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:16 PM   #59
Radio
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Seriously, you think starting your sentence with "seriously" somehow validates your response?

Yes, seriously, that's my argument. When you feel strongly that a product is a "fail," generally what people with common sense do is get a competing product that isn't a "fail" in their opinion. If you keep buying the "fail" product, you kinda encourage the manufacturer to keep doing what they're doing, because you're still buying it. Which makes you wonder where the "fail" really is.

Do you have a real response to this other than "seriously?" Because "seriously" isn't even a response, really.
Seriously?
Radio is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:38 PM   #60
PNutts
macrumors 601
 
PNutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
If you don't like the iPhone 5, don't buy one.

If you have one and you don't like it, bring it back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIcaejkpD4&sns=em
I've been meaning to go back and watch that. Thx.

In return, here's the The iPhone 5 (Parody) Ad: A Taller Change.
PNutts is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:39 PM   #61
AFDoc
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I've had my phone since launch day and I am now positively disappointed in a taller screen.

I've gained nothing in my experience on the iPhone 5.

An extra row on icons?! Lol really

Most Apps just stretch the screen adding very little to no benefit.

Did apple fail I. Just making a taller screen versus wider and taller?
I don't think the taller screen is a fail but this thread sure is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
But apple hasn't added more functionality !
Thoughts guys?!
I think these issues have been gone over ad nauseum and your thread brings nothing new to the table.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Um what real practical benefit r you getting?
That's all I'm saying I'm not sure why this is difficult to comprehend ?
More browsing space? Serious that's your rebuttal ?
Apple was lazy.
Notifications are still broken and intrusive
They should of used the space for notifications
You say apple was lazy? I say you're lazy because all I see you doing is recycling any number of threads that came out the days after the i5 came out.

For those of you that don't like the phone, don't buy it or take it back and purchase a product you want, it's not rocket science.

I like the i5's screen. If/when they make a wider phone, I'm sure I'll love that too. I buy what I want. To purchase something then complain about what it doesn't have is dumb. Those that bought the phone knew that it had features they didn't like yet they bought it anyway..... sounds like a pretty big win for apple to me.

Last edited by AFDoc; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
AFDoc is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:00 PM   #62
Radio
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman89 View Post
Wahhhh!!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
I don't think the taller screen is a fail but this thread sure is.


I think these issues have been gone over ad nauseum and your thread brings nothing new to the table.

You say apple was lazy? I say you're lazy because all I see you doing is recycling any number of threads that came out the days after the i5 came out.

For those of you that don't like the phone, don't buy it or take it back and purchase a product you want, it's not rocket science.

I like the i5's screen. If/when they make a wider phone, I'm sure I'll love that too. I buy what I want. To purchase something then complain about what it doesn't have is dumb. Those that bought the phone knew that it had features they didn't like yet they bought it anyway..... sounds like a pretty big win for apple to me.
How is that koolaid
Radio is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:03 PM   #63
AFDoc
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Wahhhh!!!!

----------



How is that koolaid
LoL, that's your response?

I like Kool aid.... Ohhhhhhh yeah! That however has nothing to do with the fact you bring nothing new to the table. These arguments have been done over and over and over again. If you bought the phone knowing you didn't want simply a taller screen YOU'RE the one that failed. Apple has your money and all you have is tears in your beer and threads here on MR. Oh, and apparently a phone you don't like.
AFDoc is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:19 PM   #64
Radio
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
LoL, that's your response?

I like Kool aid.... Ohhhhhhh yeah! That however has nothing to do with the fact you bring nothing new to the table. These arguments have been done over and over and over again. If you bought the phone knowing you didn't want simply a taller screen YOU'RE the one that failed. Apple has your money and all you have is tears in your beer and threads here on MR. Oh, and apparently a phone you don't like.
R u serious?? R u serious?!
Radio is offline   0


Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the iPhone 5 itself actually taller or just the screen? TH55 iPhone 16 Sep 15, 2012 10:38 PM
1132x640 & Taller Screen Not Happening loybond iPhone 58 Sep 13, 2012 09:26 AM
So basically, the iPhone 5's screen is just a wee bit taller? 55test55 Wasteland 27 Sep 9, 2012 02:03 PM
Video Shows What an iPhone Game Would Look Like on Taller iPhone Screen MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 39 Aug 26, 2012 12:13 PM
There's a reason a taller screen makes sense. Matt912836 iPhone 66 Aug 15, 2012 02:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC