Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Battery life?

Size?

Weight?

----------

Looking at the text examples on this web site; 440ppi is my new minimum standard for a hand-held device. They say perfect human eyesight max's out at 477ppi; 440 is close enough for me. The Mini only has 163ppi.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/440-...xy-S-III-vs-Nexus-4-screen-comparison_id36602

What phone or tablet do you have right now? :rolleyes:

----------

Funny you should post that. Behind me, in my home office, is an old 720P 46" TV. My chair is 5-6 ft from the screen and I am unable to read the fine print you often see in car commercials. I have a 1080P 47" 3D TV upstairs and I can read the fine print from 10 ft away.

4K TV's are out.

Why are you still watching your 1080p TV?

You should toss your 720p TV out immediately.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
4K TV's are out.

Why are you still watching your 1080p TV?

You should toss your 720p TV out immediately.

Ha. Better yet resolution of a real life, breathing hottie is even more stunning... assuming one is sober, and it's free...well, OK, small cover charge some places. People like OP get a little too caught up in device resolution and PPI. As long as a device doesn't make ones eyeballs bleed they should be good.

iPad 3/4 is far less than 440ppi. I still think it looks fantastic and easy to read. The mini is obviously worse, but not horrible. The weight compensates.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I prefer to enjoy all the content that I've amassed over the last decade, rather than play with weather and clock widgets.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I bought a Nexus 7 at the time because a 7inch Apple tablet were just rumors. I should've waited for Apple and not go for a Nexus 7.

The Nexus 7 was fine.... until I touched a Mini. I wanted to buy it on the spot, but it was sold out. :(

Everything's better one it, the build quality (Aluminum means no creaking), apps, lag free, Apple's insanely impressive UI. Pretty much everything is better except for the PPI. The saturation is crap on the Nexus 7 compared to the Mini while the Mini's screen sharpness is only slightly worse. As long as reading books don't stain my eyes, it serves it's purpose for me.

Worst part about Android or Google is how they lock down their Books app. I thought Android was all about freedom, yet they make it more restrictive than Apple? Lol. I got a buyer for my Nexus 7 and now I'm just waiting for an Apple store to get a Mini in stock...

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
Worst part about Android or Google is how they lock down their Books app. I thought Android was all about freedom, yet they make it more restrictive than Apple?

You're more than welcome to root your device and use any one of the other myriad eReaders. Or if that doesn't suit you, you can actually write your own.

Can't say the same thing about iOS.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
how about everyone buys what they want, because they worked for their money and its their choice? :confused:

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
Ha. Better yet resolution of a real life, breathing hottie is even more stunning... assuming one is sober, and it's free...well, OK, small cover charge some places. People like OP get a little too caught up in device resolution and PPI. As long as a device doesn't make ones eyeballs bleed they should be good.

iPad 3/4 is far less than 440ppi. I still think it looks fantastic and easy to read. The mini is obviously worse, but not horrible. The weight compensates.

I agree, who needs 440ppi now that 500ppi is out. Same company also showcased a 650ppi display (4x the pixel density of the mini).

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1492319/

Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Not everyone has a high visual acuity to clearly discern retina vs non retina. Some people don't see colors as vibrant as others do, they see them washed out but don't know it. Are these people inferior? No, they just see the world differently. I can tell the difference between 1080 and 720 absolutely but I enjoy spotting the difference and visuals are very important to me in technology. With that said, I respect people who do not place a high value in a display, it's juts not important to them.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
how about everyone buys what they want, because they worked for their money and its their choice? :confused:

Yes, I agree with you. I don't see why a preference for a smaller sized Apple-ecosystem tablet has been greeted by some people with scorn, or by claims that people who post that they're enjoying the iPad mini are just posting a "defense" of their purchase.

How is a post that confirms satisfaction with an iPad mini a "defense" of the purchase? It's more like a favorable review. Or it used to be called that before it became fashionable to bash people for liking what they had bought!

I can hardly wait for when this fad of bashing personal choice in the marketplace comes to a supermarket near me. Will make for wonderful cartoons, people bashing each over the head with boxes of pasta or assorted varieties of produce.

Whatever happened to live and let live?

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I dare you to see the visual difference between a 47" HDTV @1080p vs @720p from a viewing distance of at least 6+ feet. You will not be able to tell the difference. If you are able to, then nothing on this planet will satisfy you. That's just too bad....FOR YOU!

Bad example. I find that 46"+ display size, one can easily spot the difference between 720p and 1080p at the viewing distance of ~8ft.

However, one would be hard pressed to be able to discern individual pixels (for 1080p) at those distances, especially while viewing dynamic content. So, unless your smartphone usage scenario involves pressing the display against your eyeball, more than 350ppi is overkill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.