Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
How do y'all feel about the FitBit One? I've been using it for 2 weeks now and I really like it. I don't feel like it will pop off or disappear at all. It even does the sleep alarm! It doesn't have the activity reminder of the Up, though.

I've had one for a little over the week and like it so far. My wife likes it even more now that she isn't woken up by my alarm clock every morning.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
I did a power nap and it felt great even if I only got 14 minutes of sleep.

Side note as a sort of out there question. Did those saying accuracy is off calibrate it in the settings? I did mine last night and the activity I did was .2 miles for the calibration but the band said .3. So I calibrated it and adjusted it and then tried .407 and it read as .4. So was better.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
One reason I might use a "gimmicky gizmo" would be to make it more enjoyable to exercise. If I like using the product that encourages me to exercise, I start to enjoy getting out and exercise. Not everyone needs a gimmick to exercise, but then again, not everyone needs an iPhone to place phone calls...

Exactly! I want to exercise, but it isn't enjoyable in itself for me. If I can bring 'toys' along to make it more interesting, then I will exercise more and it is money well spent.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I called the local apple store and they said they didnt have the UP in stock. I waited 40 damn minutes to ask if they had it in stock (Im at school so cant drive to check).

I have a weird feeling the guy just doesnt know and they are in the back, based off of the people who have already purchased them

Yeah, they JUST got them and none of the employees are familiar with them yet. But remember, this is just one out of hundreds of products Apple sells. At the store I went to, it wasn't even at eye level (was hanging about 7 feet up, above the fuel and fitbit), so it will take time for the blue shirts to discover them. Just ask them to check the inventory and be patient. They all have iPods with inventory checkers so it isn't that big a deal.

Deadp1xel

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
I just picked one up today...I'll report back on how it works. While Jawbone failed on UP 1.0, they stood behind their product and never had anything short of great customer support. They know they biffed it, and they lost a lot of money on the first go-around. It sounds like they're pretty confident that they've got it right this time, and I hope they do...

I still find the Jawbone UP more compelling than FitBit or Nike+ Fuelband. I hope Jawbone UP 3.0 has wireless syncing. :rolleyes:

Where did you get yours? Are you in the US?

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
is Jawbone UP2 also available with local app? No cloud?

I guess I don't fully understand the question.

Other note: I have been using the smart alarm for a week now and I can say it works very well. Have woke up and not felt tired shortly after. I have not used my normal alarm since. I am always up before it even goes off and feel wide awake.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
do I need to get a web account for Jawbone UP2 product? Is my data online only?

The app makes you sign up within the app. The data is stored online some I believe because my info shows up on my "team" that I have with my wife so we can see each other's info/stats. I have not turned off connectivity to see if you can still just use in app storage.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I got my Up for Christmas and love it so far! The only thing I don't like is how it snags on things but I hardly notice it is on my wrist anymore. Also, I am not at all bothered by having to connect it to my phone to sync. It's nice that it stores the info and inputs it when I connect. I don't need the info at every moment of the day and if I want to see my activity it takes 10 seconds to connect.

I love the sleep monitoring and the smart alarm. Those are what sold on it!

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
happy Up 2.0 user...

I have had one for a little over a month now. I hesitated because of the disastrous first gen release. Out of all the devices the Up is the only one I would not be embarrassed to wear. It is a lot less clunky looking and "almost" looks like an odd piece of jewelry, but slim enough to shove under your shirt cuff. Syncing manually is a non-issue, and no painless (takes seconds). I usually sync 1-3 times a day. Battery life is about 10 days fully charged. I wanted something to force me to move more and be more active, and it is working. I love the sleep tracking, even if the numbers are occasionally depressing. The smart alarm is one of my favorite features, and the power nap one is great as well. I haven't bothered to delve into the food tracking yet, as that was not was I was looking for.

I am not upset by the lack of wireless syncing. Bluetooth is buggy, and a battery eater. Zero issues with the cap, it fits snugly. I do not shower with it, other than that I am wearing it. I always have my phone with me, so it is no big deal to sync on the fly if I want a status update. No regrets, it was a great buy for me.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Thinking about picking one of these up with some Best Buy store credit. Anyone else have some experience with the 2.0?

Thanks!

thujjku

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
I used a FitBit for a while; the only thing I didn't really like about it was that if I was rushing and changed clothes quickly and ran out the door to the gym (as I'm often running late for) I would forget it in my pants pocket. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
I was a happy UP 2 user for 8 weeks. It was a great thing and helped me to loose 12 pounds in those 8 weeks and become more active. I have to say it is kind of addictive. Its fun to see how much you walk. Sometimes it motivates you to take a longer way. :) I used it to feed my MyFitnessPal app with my daily activity data together with my other bike and workout apps.

But then the band just suddenly stopped working some 6 weeks ago. It could not hold its charge for more than one hour. It became useless. The Jawbone support is a joke. They seem not to read the incoming emails. They replied to my mail with a standard email to try to reboot the band. I sent my mail again and then they tried to solve my problem. After we figured out it was a hardware problem with its battery the support asked me to go to the nearest Apple Store to get a replacement since I bought the band from Apples online store. At the store the guys told me I have to send the band to Jawbone. So I called the support beeing tired of all those emails. The support dude told me he will finally send my a replacement.

After a week I asked by mail where my replacement band is? Two days later they said there was an error with the ticket, they will send a new band soon.

Another week later and still no replacement band here. So I called again. The guy said I need to go to Apple for a replacement. WTF?! After a long conversation he said he can not find me in the system. I need to mail everything again together with a pdf of my order. I did it and four days later got an email confirming a replacement is on its was.

This was two weeks ago. Yesterday I called again to see where my new band is. The guy apologized and said the blue bands are all sold out and they have no idea when a new blue band will be available. Maybe in a month or two. So I picked the only color available which was black.

Lets see if I will ever get a replacement band.

But yeah, besides all of this, the band was great. :D

Edit: Oh sorry didnt see this is an old thread.

heelsbigc

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
Wilmington, NC
I had a somewhat similar experience. I got the same email about rebooting the band. I immediately replied to them that the problem persisted and within 24 hours they sent me a shipping confirmation for a new band. They didn't however tell me what color band. I'm replacing a blue one and assumed the replacement would also be blue. It's scheduled to be here Monday. Im going to be kind of pissed if they send me a black band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.