Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:06 AM   #51
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
LOL. Wake me up, if you have real arguments! Thank you.
Wake me up if you have something meaningful to say?
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:07 AM   #52
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

zbarvian,
Have you used the latest touchwiz? It's... really good. And I don't even use a Galaxy device as a daily driver.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:16 AM   #53
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
zbarvian,
Have you used the latest touchwiz? It's... really good. And I don't even use a Galaxy device as a daily driver.
Honestly, its look alone is enough to repel me. It's really ugly. If I switch to Android, I will definitely be going stock. I don't think TouchWiz has anything on Android 4.2.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:21 AM   #54
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Honestly, its look alone is enough to repel me. It's really ugly.
Well then a correct statement on your part is saying it looks ugly, and therefore will not use it. Saying "it's crap" implies that there is actually an issue with function as well. Blanket statements, in general, are bad. And there I go making a blanket statement.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:23 AM   #55
hyteckit

Apple already makes a 5" to 6" device with stylus, hand writing recognition, and beam technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3FuTpWbmCQ
hyteckit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:50 AM   #56
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
zbarvian,
He hasn't used anything. He's never even owned an Android device. He's regurgitating information he's heard from watching videos.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:11 AM   #57
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I'm hoping Samsung makes 6" screens the new normal.

Galaxy s: 4.2" => 4.8" => 5"
Note: 5.3" => 5.5" => 6"
Yeap i was thinking the same. Predictable from shamesung, and i cant wait to have a 6" phablet that would be the biggest i would go as a phone.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:20 AM   #58
MF878
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
It does seem like Samsung do listen to what consumers want/ask for and react accordingly.
Listening to their customers is the only thing that gets Samsung up there above the other Android vendors, because they have the resources to do it.
MF878 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:35 PM   #59
DeathChill
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
GPU is faster as well. It a little more than just a clock speed advantage. Its over twice as fast in v8, gets sub 600ms sunspider, and is a true cortex a15.
Why do you keep saying the GPU is faster with absolutely zero proof? The Nexus 10 is coming in below the iPad 3, let alone the iPad 4.

Random interesting thing that Anandtech noticed about the iPhone (did not mention it for Android, so I'm not sure): numbers go down after registering the device with a carrier. Without a carrier the iPhone 5 was clocking in at 810 ms on Sunspider. After the carrier: 908. Weird that it changes it.
DeathChill is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:43 PM   #60
Switchback666
macrumors 65816

Dont understand the obssesion with sunspider test on these forum....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:45 PM   #61
michaeljohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback666 View Post
Its a browser speed test. You know what people usually use the most on their phone's these days? You guessed it, the browser!
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:47 PM   #62
DeathChill
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback666 View Post
Eh, it's just a quick little test. Really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, especially considering an OS update can change your results by a large margin.
DeathChill is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:51 PM   #63
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What the heck are you talking about mate?
Very political answer. You're doing good.

----------

Quote:
Honestly, its look alone is enough to repel me. It's really ugly. If I switch to Android, I will definitely be going stock. I don't think TouchWiz has anything on Android 4.2.
The funny thing is that TouchWiz in the originally Galaxy S had many resemblances to iOS. Yet according to you TouchWiz looks ugly but iOS is some sort of breakthrough in UI design.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
Its a browser speed test. You know what people usually use the most on their phone's these days? You guessed it, the browser!
That smiley won't hide your bias.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:04 PM   #64
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
Very political answer. You're doing good.

----------

The funny thing is that TouchWiz in the originally Galaxy S had many resemblances to iOS. Yet according to you TouchWiz looks ugly but iOS is some sort of breakthrough in UI design.

----------

That smiley won't hide your bias.
TouchWiz on the Galaxy S was a poor man's iOS. It resembled iOS, but just looked way worse. And iOS isn't a "design breakthrough," it's just good design. Windows Phone 8 is also good design.

Don't hear me say the ALL of iOS is good design, as it certainly isn't. Hopefully you won't distort my argument anymore now.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:12 PM   #65
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
TouchWiz on the Galaxy S was a poor man's iOS. It resembled iOS, but just looked way worse. And iOS isn't a "design breakthrough," it's just good design. Windows Phone 8 is also good design.

Don't hear me say the ALL of iOS is good design, as it certainly isn't. Hopefully you won't distort my argument anymore now.
OK. Give me your honest opinion. Are you saying that all of the documents in which Apple showed that the Galaxy S's software looked really similar to iOS' were blatant manipulations created solely to deceive others (eg. the jury in the lawsuit)?

Think about it carefully.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:29 PM   #66
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
OK. Give me your honest opinion. Are you saying that all of the documents in which Apple showed that the Galaxy S's software looked really similar to iOS' were blatant manipulations created solely to deceive others (eg. the jury in the lawsuit)?

Think about it carefully.
What? Reword that, I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:42 PM   #67
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What? Reword that, I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking.
I'm sure you are aware that leading up to, and during, the lawsuit, Apple used many documents showcasing how the software in the Galaxy S was similar to the one in iOS.

This is a picture I'm sure you have seen many times:

This was an internal document from Samsung that Apple once again used to show that TouchWiz was very similar to iOS:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/08/a...ument-mimicry/

You are saying that they do not look the same. You went as far as to call the messaging application in TouchWiz as fisher-price design. So are you disagreeing with Apple in that TouchWiz from the Galaxy S is indeed different from iOS? I'm just asking for your personal opinion.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:02 PM   #68
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I'm sure you are aware that leading up to, and during, the lawsuit, Apple used many documents showcasing how the software in the Galaxy S was similar to the one in iOS.

This is a picture I'm sure you have seen many times:

This was an internal document from Samsung that Apple once again used to show that TouchWiz was very similar to iOS:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/08/a...ument-mimicry/

You are saying that they do not look the same. You went as far as to call the messaging application in TouchWiz as fisher-price design. So are you disagreeing with Apple in that TouchWiz from the Galaxy S is indeed different from iOS? I'm just asking for your personal opinion.
I think it was definitely modeled after iOS. Just because it doesn't have the same polish and finesse as iOS doesn't absolve Samsung. Design is more than visual design.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:06 PM   #69
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I think it was definitely modeled after iOS. Just because it doesn't have the same polish and finesse as iOS doesn't absolve Samsung. Design is more than visual design.
Are you saying that their visual design is similar?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:14 PM   #70
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Are you saying that their visual design is similar?
Visually, not exactly. Design-wise, yes.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:21 PM   #71
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Visually, not exactly. Design-wise, yes.
So correct me if I'm wrong, but this would imply that the iOS messaging application is also fisher-price like.
dalbir4444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:40 PM   #72
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
So correct me if I'm wrong, but this would imply that the iOS messaging application is also fisher-price like.
No...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:44 PM   #73
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No...
Sure buddy. With each new post you contradict one of your earlier ones, so let's just drop this argument.
dalbir4444 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:44 PM   #74
onthecouchagain
Banned

QED. Don't need to say who won that.

Z, in a discussion we had, you also said you wished the UI animations were as good as iOS, but then knock Android's animations for copying iOS'.

Similar argument happening here. Similar tactics.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:16 PM   #75
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
QED. Don't need to say who won that.

Z, in a discussion we had, you also said you wished the UI animations were as good as iOS, but then knock Android's animations for copying iOS'.

Similar argument happening here. Similar tactics.
Yeah, Android's animation could be better than crappy iOS animations? I don't even think you guys understand what you're saying at this point, lol.

----------

Quote:
Sure buddy. With each new post you contradict one of your earlier ones, so let's just drop this argument.
Here we go. TouchWiz copied iOS's messaging style (if we want to talk messaging). The colors were different, the effects were different, but the UI design was undeniably similar. Just because it isn't blue or glossy doesn't mean it isn't the same design.

They copied the UI of the alarm app. They copied the UI of the home screen. And much more. Don't confuse visual design with design. The UI was the same, and that's what's important.

Now stop trying to make me look hypocritical by tossing these obscure questions at me.

Last edited by zbarvian; Nov 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices