Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flashfang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Hi everyone,
the new iMac 2012 is coming soon.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX in the new iMAC can now be used for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer in AE(after effect) ,isn't it?
Will the GTX 680MX be compatible with the Mercury engine that supposedly speeds up AE(after effect) like a charm?

Last edited:

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Hi everyone,
the new iMac 2012 is coming soon.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX in the new iMAC can now be used for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer ,isn't it?
Will the GTX 680MX be compatible with the Mercury engine that supposedly speeds up AE like a charm?

FYI, 90% of people here will have no clue what you're talking about because they've never used After Effects in their lives, and you're using fairly specific terms. Probably a better question for the "digital video" forum.

That aside, the GTX 680MX isn't listed under "additional acceleration" on on this page for Premiere, so I wouldn't imagine that After Effects gets that benefit either. So, it'll be better than no GPU, but AE isn't optimized to use it.

This might be useful to read as well, though it doesn't say anything about the GTX 680MX.

This page mentions the GTX 680, so I would imagine the GTX 680MX is also supported for the 3D raytracer, though, again, not optimized, like professional grade Quadro cards that the first link mentions.

Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
FYI, 90% of people here will have no clue what you're talking about because they've never used After Effects in their lives, and you're using fairly specific terms. Probably a better question for the "digital video" forum.

That aside, the GTX 680MX isn't listed under "additional acceleration" on on this page for Premiere, so I wouldn't imagine that After Effects gets that benefit either. So, it'll be better than no GPU, but AE isn't optimized to use it.

This might be useful to read as well, though it doesn't say anything about the GTX 680MX.

This page mentions the GTX 680, so I would imagine the GTX 680MX is also supported for the 3D raytracer, though, again, not optimized, like professional grade Quadro cards that the first link mentions.

The first list looks like it's the "these are best", not a "these are the only" list. They list older/slower AMD mobile GPUs in the list specifically for OS X, and they list equivalent desktop GPUs, so I would imagine it would work fine.

It is dumb to program for specific video cards, they are almost assuredly targeting GPU features, not specific chips. Thus, since it has all the features necessary, you should be good.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
The first list looks like it's the "these are best", not a "these are the only" list. They list older/slower AMD mobile GPUs in the list specifically for OS X, and they list equivalent desktop GPUs, so I would imagine it would work fine.

That was the gist of what I was trying to say, but you explained it better.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
All adobe programs since cs5 got gpu acceleration for generic gpu cards. All of them supports the gpu cards that comes with iMacs. 680mx will perform best of the any of the cards currently available in any macs when it comes to gpu acceleration. The specific ray trace lines you are talking about I have no clue. Only think I know is that I'm not impressed in general by the 3d routines after effects and photoshop are using they seem very slow and badly optimized so I tend to stay away from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.