Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:42 AM   #1
jvmxtra
macrumors 65816

All these 1080 5 inch phones coming out

Seriously.. if iphone 5s comes out next year.. I am gonna have to say see you.. I know specs is not everything but apple is just going backwards... this is why I said this year when they were going through stupid specs res change for 4 inch phone, they should have come out w/ multiple size to future proof.. this is so lame and stupid

I know we all love iphone 5 but when 5 inch w/ 1080 comes out.. seriously. it's just stupid..
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:50 AM   #2
chambone
macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah, 5 inch with 1080. Yes baby! I can't imagine there being anyone for whom this is not the holy grail. Just the thought of 5 inch with 1080 makes me feel all warm and tingly inside.
chambone is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:52 AM   #3
iphonedude2008
macrumors regular

It's not stupid. You obviously know very little of app development so to you, apple can just make a new screen size every year kind of like the android market and everything will work fine. Apple is thinking about their developers. It's hard enough to update an app for the 4" screen. They don't want 10 different sizes with no apps to take advantage of it.
iphonedude2008 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:53 AM   #4
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

How is Apple going backwards?
nuckinfutz is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:55 AM   #5
iphonedude2008
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
How is Apple going backwards?
3.5 -> 4. Seems pretty forward.
iphonedude2008 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:04 AM   #6
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Huh?

What's the point of 1080p with a small screen?

I use my iPhone daily and am annoyed by videos even a minute long.
tdhurst is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:05 AM   #7
rever3nce
macrumors 6502a

let me go play the violin on garage band for ya
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:06 AM   #8
Ricky Smith
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Ricky Smith Send a message via MSN to Ricky Smith
Yes we need multiple screen sizes. So we can saturate the market with 10 different iPhones.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:24 AM   #9
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
What's the point of 1080p with a small screen?

I use my iPhone daily and am annoyed by videos even a minute long.
Yup, when the screen is already "higher resolution than a regular-vision person can tell," what is the point of making it even higher? It'll play 1080p video just fine, with more detail than you can tell already. (Unless you have better-than-20/20 vision and/or hold it ridiculously closer to your face.)

It's like people who insist on getting the 20" TV for their bedroom, which will sit ten feet from their face, as a 1080p TV. Right now, since there basically aren't any 720p TVs on the market any more, you might as well, but back when you actually paid a premium for it, it was dumb. If you can't see the difference between the lower resolution (720p or the iPhone's resolution,) and 1080p from the distance you normally view it, what does it matter?

And unless you're compressing your videos at rather ridiculous bitrates (2 hour movie > 6 GB,) you won't notice anyway, since you've compressed all that extra resolution out of it already. (Unless you're on a large enough screen that you actually *CAN* make out individual pixels, then every bit of increased bitrate helps.)

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:27 AM   #10
milk242
macrumors 6502a

I need Apple to make a 7" 4K resolution iPhone.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:32 AM   #11
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

topic # 5 about a bigger iPhone within a week.
tymaster50 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:36 AM   #12
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Don't let the door hit you on the way out
Jordan921 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:43 AM   #13
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Smith View Post
Yes we need multiple screen sizes. So we can saturate the market with 10 different iPhones.
This is exactly what I think aswell.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:12 AM   #14
Ungibbed
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Ungibbed Send a message via Yahoo to Ungibbed
I always felt that 720p was a great "sweet spot" on mobile. Videos look amazing and details from photos are amazing to look at. The only problem with adding more pixels, needs a more powerful graphics chip to play a full 1080p video not to mention a bigger battery to power both.

Just cause you can capture 1080p doesn't always mean you can play back the full resolution video on many phones. The Galaxy S3 is the size limit for me but the plus there is some great looking games. Still at the major cost of battery life since the GPU has much more workload than average.

Attached: Shadowgun running on a Galaxy S3 series phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-11-18-10-00.png
Views:	319
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	378306  
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:45 PM   #15
donrsd
macrumors 6502

Give us a bigger screen.
I love that Galaxy S3 screen size. 4.8" with a true 16:9 screen

Quote Me So I Am Notified
donrsd is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:53 PM   #16
Prototypical
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambone View Post
Oh yeah, 5 inch with 1080. Yes baby! I can't imagine there being anyone for whom this is not the holy grail. Just the thought of 5 inch with 1080 makes me feel all warm and tingly inside.
What happens when the 5.2" screen is released? And then the 5.5?" Some of you guys are such suckers for meaningless specs. "OMG, I have the biggest phone available! It MUST be the most awesomest!"

I agree with the others on 1080p - if I'm going to watch a video that is long enough to appreciate/care about 1080p, it certainly isn't going to be on my mobile phone. I'm either going to break out the tablet or stream it to my television. A phone just isn't meant for major video consumption, IMO.
Prototypical is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:55 PM   #17
nburwell
macrumors 68000

Regardless of how thin the phone is, I don't feel like carrying around a phone that has a 5" screen. If I wanted a bigger screen, I would go purchase an iPad. I was fine with the 3.5" iPhone and now the 4" iPhone 5. I don't want my phone to resemble the Samsung Galaxy Note "phone."
nburwell is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:56 PM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I wouldnt mind a bigger screen but 4" seems to be fine now.
I wouldnt completelly switch phones or OS's just for screen size.
What good is a bigger screen if everything else about the phone sucks?
Applejuiced is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:01 PM   #19
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a

People say apple aren't keeping up with android
People complain when apple brings out new kit

Sheesh
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:01 PM   #20
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrsd View Post
Give us a bigger screen.
I love that Galaxy S3 screen size. 4.8" with a true 16:9 screen
Then buy one - if you want an Android phone they're about the best you'll be able to find at this current time.

If you want an ios device you have two options: iPhone5 or an iPad Mini but
neither fit that description.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:18 PM   #21
mono1980
macrumors 6502

Have fun with your craptastic battery life.
mono1980 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:25 PM   #22
dvoros
macrumors 6502

apple moving slowly

Yes, going from a whooping 3.5 inch screen to an awesome 4 inch screen was a very impressive move by Apple.......NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonedude2008 View Post
3.5 -> 4. Seems pretty forward.
dvoros is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:28 PM   #23
chambone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototypical View Post
What happens when the 5.2" screen is released? And then the 5.5?" Some of you guys are such suckers for meaningless specs. "OMG, I have the biggest phone available! It MUST be the most awesomest!"

I agree with the others on 1080p - if I'm going to watch a video that is long enough to appreciate/care about 1080p, it certainly isn't going to be on my mobile phone. I'm either going to break out the tablet or stream it to my television. A phone just isn't meant for major video consumption, IMO.
Well, I was just trying to be funny of course. I think the size of the S3 is already bordering on silly. A 5" screen on a phone is the last thing I need.
chambone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:34 PM   #24
Woodcrest64
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambone View Post
I honestly didn't think you could tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 5" screen but according to some early hands, text is considerably sharper at 1080p. My S2 LTE is only a year old right now so I'm going to have wait another year. I wonder what we will see next year in terms of phones.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:31 PM   #25
ahfu25
macrumors 6502a

"Screen:
The screens on the iPhone5 and SIII both have their tradeoffs. I love the huge screen on the SIII it allows me to browse without constantly zooming and panning like one needs to do on the iPhone5. This is even more true because most iOS apps haven't been updated and show black bars on top and bottom so like 1/4 of the screen is black in popular apps like whatsapp and engadget.

One the other hand the iPhone is definitely more manageable with one hand and has more accurate color reproduction. If you hold a white page up side by side the GSIII looks yellow in comparison.

Overall I prefer the GSIII screen size, but it's really a matter of personal preference.

Productivity and Capability:
There's simply so much more you can do with Android than you can do with iOS, especially with a rooted and unlocked phone with custom roms. The notifications pulldown, Google Now, widgets, quick settings/toggle, popup browser, etc. all let you do more things faster with Android than you could do with iOS.

While iOS is solid it feels dated with little recent innovation in the actual UI. Almost all of the power of iOS comes from it's app store and third-party support for things like passbook. In the end Apple's homescreen is like a prettier rendition of a Palm Treo launcher from 2003. Siri is cool but imho Google Now is better.

App Selection:
As hinted above, Apple's real strength is in the app store. Overall they have more and better quality apps. There are almost always comparable apps in the Google play store, but they don't always have the same level of polish as the iOS version.

Sometimes though the Google play store has much more powerful apps that would never be allowed in the App store. Things like emulators, apps requiring root, different keyboards, etc. Now that I've used it, I'm not sure how I lived without the Swype keyboard. When I have to type something on my wife's phone I feel like I'm going back in history. I love this. Just today I installed an app that gives you full control of what happens when your proximity sensor triggers.

The restrictions Apple puts on app developers generally result in smoother more reliable apps that don't often crash and can't hijack your battery. On the other hand Google allows much more powerful applications, but rogue applications can hijack your phone and incompatibilities between Android versions cause all sorts of problems. I had to uninstall the Engadget app on JB because it was using 30% of my battery even though it was only in the foreground for 5 minutes.

Performance:
The iPhone will generally give you a smoother, more predictable experience. I think the lack of widgets, app freedom, etc. has a huge impact on this.

While Jelly Bean is butter-smooth for the most part, there are occasional stutters here and there that you don't really see on iOS. A lot of times I will find myself swiping a number or something and the action will take place a second later. Apps themselves seem to perform better on iOS. For example TempleRun stutters and misses swipes after running for a while. This was never an issue on my old iPhone4 and the SIII should be between 2-4 times as powerful.

Battery Life:
In my experience the iPhone5 has more consistent and generally "better" battery life when compared to the SIII. I put better in quotes because in certain use cases I'm sure the SIII would achieve as good or better battery time. Whenever someone has a battery issue they're told to turn off location services, latitudes, gnow, weather widgets, monitor your wakelocks, etc. However with the iPhone5 you generally don't have to worry about that stuff, if you aren't actively using an app it won't use much of your battery. My wife and I have similar usage patterns and she always seem to have more battery left than me at the end of the day.

Overall the iPhone is a solid but boring device with reliable performance and battery life where the SIII can be a bit inconsistent but delivers a level of customization, productivity and power that iOS can't touch. I think power users will prefer the SIII/Note2 and the iPhone is more for people who expect a consistent experience from their phone."

I copied and pasted this from a user on xda. I find this to be the most accurate and non bias description. I agree 100% with this opinion.
ahfu25 is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone