Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
If they really wanted the display to be thin, then put the computer into the stand and just let the thin screen float in air. Like the old swing arm lamp iMac. :)

Yes, almost like a mac mini in the base/foot and a thin screen above, and that way, the ram and HDD would still be user upgradable....

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I personally have not noticed any difference between my rMBP and my old Unibody MacBook.

The only advantage to an updated Thunderbolt display would then be USB 3. In the end, if you want matte and USB3 though, the Dell U2713hm is a much better choice than a Thunderbolt display anyhow.

At least Dell offers a "No bright pixel" policy, something Apple really needs to get the ball rolling are. Their pixel defect policy is atrociously outdated.

I didn't know about that policy. I could see the difference compared to the prior glossy screens. The reflections didn't appear to be as bright. If usb3 wasn't an issue, I'd probably go with NEC. They're down to $850 or so for a PA271W. I think they have an sRGB version too.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Are u under the illusion that Steve jobs was perfect and that he innovated everything at apple?
He was a star sales person.. With charisma 2nd to non..
But to say apple has changesd and there is no passion for product and they are share holder pleasers only.. Is a far far cry from truth.
All u have to do is look at the new unprecedented line of of products.
Also without pleasing people.. There will be nothing to excite shareholders..
Its people that buy apple products... And it seems the company is selling more than it ever has.
But i have a feeling u will say..." Oh that is all because of Steve jobs setting things in motion".
Not!
Dont discount tim for what he has brought to apple for the last 10 years.
Or ives
Or cue
Or mansfield
Or schiller
Or craig.
Etc........

Sorry, but I think you're just not getting it. A brilliant visionary with the personality and presence to effect change rarely comes along. Steve was unique. Yes, those other people you mention are talented, but there are plenty of talented people at many, many companies, yet none accomplished what Apple did under Steve. You ask if Steve was the innovator of everything at Apple. He wasn't. He was the visionary who looked at thousands of innovations and intuitively knew which ones mattered, which ones needed to be integrated, and which ones needed to die. And he had the ego, the confidence, and the passion to state these things unequivocally. Personally, I thought it would take longer for Apple to start making missteps. Unfortunately, the lack of vision is already apparent. The new awkwarly skinny and inordinately light iPhone, the iMac that answered a question no one asked - Why don't we make our desktop monitors super thin?!, the overpriced and under-speced iPad mini. In general, it is obvious that Apple has now settled into evolution, rather than revolution. And that's really all they can do. Without Steve, they are just another business with good engineering talent and saavy business leaders. They aren't going away, they aren't losing relevence....they just won't soar beyond expectations anymore.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Sorry, but I think you're just not getting it. A brilliant visionary with the personality and presence to effect change rarely comes along. Steve was unique. Yes, those other people you mention are talented, but there are plenty of talented people at many, many companies, yet none accomplished what Apple did under Steve. You ask if Steve was the innovator of everything at Apple. He wasn't. He was the visionary who looked at thousands of innovations and intuitively knew which ones mattered, which ones needed to be integrated, and which ones needed to die. And he had the ego, the confidence, and the passion to state these things unequivocally. Personally, I thought it would take longer for Apple to start making missteps. Unfortunately, the lack of vision is already apparent. The new awkwarly skinny and inordinately light iPhone, the iMac that answered a question no one asked - Why don't we make our desktop monitors super thin?!, the overpriced and under-speced iPad mini. In general, it is obvious that Apple has now settled into evolution, rather than revolution. And that's really all they can do. Without Steve, they are just another business with good engineering talent and saavy business leaders. They aren't going away, they aren't losing relevence....they just won't soar beyond expectations anymore.
You make it sound like all products released by post-Steve Apple were conceived, planned and designed a couple of weeks before they were released. Steve's been dead for a year. He knew full well what direction the iPhone and the iMac were headed. As reported, he left 4 years worth of products in the pipeline - the real post-Steve Apple timeline starts in 2015. Steve was crazy about thinness comparisons and used the word 'thin' a hundred times per keynote, and the notion that he had nothing to do with the iPhone and the iMac ending up even thinner is ridiculous.
I'm also a bit tired of this double standard when it comes to Apple vs. others in terms of innovation. Most of their competitors don't have a single game changer to brag about, Apple has several, but every time Apple releases something evolutionary between those game changers, it's "Well that's it for Apple. They're finished. They're just playing catch up now. Oh well, they had a good run."

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Careful, it's "no bright pixels", not "no dead pixels". We at least they won't leave you hanging with a stuck Green or Red pixel. Apple simply doesn't give a damn.

Yeah I get that. No pixels stuck in a bright setting. Dark pixels are at least less distracting. Given current pricing, I'd suggest NEC for a lot of people looking at the thunderbolt display. I think it's a better option for the price, at least at US pricing. To stay at least somewhat on topic, I'm still surprised they chose to go forward with a redesigned model in spite of how far it's been pushed back.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
I'm really curious as to why the 2011 iMacs were discontinued so soon. Why the rush to eradicate them?

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
And here I was ready to put down for a new 21.5

I was really excited to walk into the Apple store and check them out, and most likely walk out with one.

Just another chink in Cook's already badly nicked armor. The guy is obviously not fit for the job, as you can witness the failures on Tim's watch add up one by one.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I don't get this either. Anyone have any theories why they've taken the iMac off the market altogether?

Apple doesn't want to sit on a large stock of the last generation of product, so I expect they started ending production of the 2011 model as they started production of the 2012 model. As yields on the 2012 model remained low, eventually Apple drew down their 2011 stock.

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I don't get this either. Anyone have any theories why they've taken the iMac off the market altogether?

iPad mini happened. Apple can only pour in so much resources into a product and while introducing iPhone 5 and the retina Macbooks the iPad mini took iMac's spotlight for this year. I just skimmed over a recent article saying Apple isn't doing so well on the stock market, which I think may be in conjunction with the the laps in iMac production due to introducing a new line of replacement products within the year and to save money, they'll put the current iMacs out of commission before introducing their replacement next year.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
So it's going to be 6 months out of spec before it even hits shelves.

Awesome.

Win for Tim.
This has less to do with Tim, than it does with Steve... the "I'll Go Thermonuclear On Em" ex CEO.

Oh my, what a mature attitude that was... "I'll show em who they're dealing with"...

That a dreadful edict Tim inherited.

With an assignment like that, and all the time and man power they are burning up, it's no wonder other areas of progress are being hampered.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Just another chink in Cook's already badly nicked armor. The guy is obviously not fit for the job, as you can witness the failures on Tim's watch add up one by one.
Um... he was hired in 1998 and given "mandate to clean up the atrocious state of Apple's manufacturing, distribution, and supply apparatus". He is the tough SOB who saw to it that Apple delivered the actual products for all those years that Jobs was CEO.

It's not really his fault that Apple is hell bent on implementing new experimental production methods to mass produce stuff like laminated large displays. I'd say such problems are the result of Jony Ive and Jobs getting carried away with design experiments. The cracking Cube, iPhone 4 antennagate, iPhone 5 scuffgate, retina MBP ghosting, original MBA heat problems, and now iMac production problems... I'm sure Cook would be thrilled to be in charge of a company that makes normal products with high predictability in terms of release schedules and smooth manufacturing, but Apple isn't that company. Thinking different has a price.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Apple doesn't want to sit on a large stock of the last generation of product, so I expect they started ending production of the 2011 model as they started production of the 2012 model. As yields on the 2012 model remained low, eventually Apple drew down their 2011 stock.

So it was a mistake? Someone didn't keep enough stock to satisfy current demand?

I always imagined that a company as big as Apple would meticulously plan everything, so I've always assumed the terrible lack of stock at product launches was planned (to make it look like a sell-out product), so this decision seems very odd to me. If someone wants a new iMac, thay can't buy one!

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So it was a mistake? Someone didn't keep enough stock to satisfy current demand?

I wouldn't call it a mistake. if the new iMacs had shipped on schedule, Apple would have been okay.

We also don't know what the demand was for the 2011 models once the new CPUs started shipping. This forum has scores of threads with thousands of posts by people stating they were not going to buy a 2011 model and would wait until the 2012. If they reflected the general iMac buying community, Apple would not have wanted to keep building the 2011 model.

bLiss

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2005
usa
This is so frustrating. As a pro user / prosumer Apple hasn't really provided something worthwhile in years. Last year I got a 2.2GHz MacBook Pro for audio production when I would have been willing to splurge on a Mac Pro if it actually had up-to-date specs. Faster though it may be than my laptop, I can't justify spending over 3 grand on parts that are years old.

For graphic design (Adobe suite) and personal use, I held out on buying an iMac 6 months ago anticipating a new model around Christmas. And we have to wait til next year now all because they have this hard-on for their super welding process? And again, the chips will be outdated by next Spring? Been doing all the work I would be doing on the iMac on a 2008 MacBook Pro. It holds up okay, but geez...

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
This reminds me of the delays when I bought my late 2009 27" iMac. There were display issues then, also. Apple managed to get them in the pipeline for Xmas, although mine arrived DOA.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
So apple is really going to go 3 months without having a desktop to sell?

Wow

Tim cook era indeed

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
22 pages for nothing? :eek:

According to our sources, Apple’s already announced plans for November and December launches of the redesigned 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac lines are still on track. This refutes a report from French site MacBidouille which claimed that both the new 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMacs would see their respective launches delayed until 2013.

Our sources say that Apple is already shipping new 21.5-inch iMacs to its distribution hubs across the United States and several other countries across the world. These sources also expect the 21.5-inch computers to be available to order from Apple’s online store by the end of this month. It is also likely that the new models will reach Apple’s physical retail stores by the end of November. More details after the break:

The 27-inch version seems to still be launching in December, as Apple announced, and even though these higher-end models are expected to launch in December, our sources say that there is a high chance that they will be available to order from Apple’s online store at the same time, or around the same time, as the 21.5-inch models.

Our sources also say that the new iMacs, at launch, will be in relatively short supply, mainly outside of the United States. Apple CEO Tim Cook, during Apple’s latest earnings call, noted the expected iMac shortages:
On the iMac we’ll be constrained for the full quarter in a significant way… there will be a short amount of time to manufacturer and ramp those and I expect demand to be robust… we will have a significant shortage.

With all of that said, the important part to emphasize is that these machines will very likely meet Apple’s November and December launch expectations, and will not be delayed into next year as others have reported.

Taken from 9to5mac.com

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Because it's Tim's fault that the welding process is causing problems.

No, but it's horrible timing to introduce a revised iMac that has a new manufacturing process which wasn't clearly thought out. Especially since that is the Mac desktop most people will want to buy.

I hope the delays don't happen but if they do it's a shame.

There's no positive impact for a desktop computer to be 5mm at the edges or to use this new process. They picked form over function, as usual, and that's a mistake. I would rather have seen it keep the same dimensions, add the less reflective screen and allow for easy replacement of RAM and storage drives on all model sizes. Form and function is what I want to see.

The way things are going the iMac is going to become a giant thin tablet with no user replaceable parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.